Hull or Lancaster

Watch this thread
CaribbeanScholar
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I originally applied to Lancaster and had them as my firm choice, however due to downgrading I missed out and had to go through clearing where I applied to Hull. I recently received an email from Lancaster saying that due to my CAG (centre assessed grades) I now have a place there., however now I’m stuck between Lancaster and Hull.
I have an offer for Geology with Physical Geography at Hull and Environmental Science at Lancaster.
My problems are:
The course at Hull is accredited whilst the course at Lancaster isn’t.
Accommodation at Hull is a lot nicer.
Lancaster ranks better than Hull.
The course at Hull has virtually no exams which like.
Lancaster seems to me more employable as a university than Hull, according to TCUG.
Hull is a bigger city so there a more places for me to get shopping done, however I did feel rather uncomfortable in the city centre when I visited.

I feel like if I pick Hull than I’m stupid for passing up the opportunity to go to a triple top 10 university. On the other hand if I pick Lancaster I feel like I might miss out in the future by my course not being accredited and I might be sacrificing too much for the University’s reputation.
Any help is appreciated.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaribbeanScholar)
I originally applied to Lancaster and had them as my firm choice, however due to downgrading I missed out and had to go through clearing where I applied to Hull. I recently received an email from Lancaster saying that due to my CAG (centre assessed grades) I now have a place there., however now I’m stuck between Lancaster and Hull.
I have an offer for Geology with Physical Geography at Hull and Environmental Science at Lancaster.
My problems are:
The course at Hull is accredited whilst the course at Lancaster isn’t.
Accommodation at Hull is a lot nicer.
Lancaster ranks better than Hull.
The course at Hull has virtually no exams which like.
Lancaster seems to me more employable as a university than Hull, according to TCUG.
Hull is a bigger city so there a more places for me to get shopping done, however I did feel rather uncomfortable in the city centre when I visited.

I feel like if I pick Hull than I’m stupid for passing up the opportunity to go to a triple top 10 university. On the other hand if I pick Lancaster I feel like I might miss out in the future by my course not being accredited and I might be sacrificing too much for the University’s reputation.
Any help is appreciated.
Hi there CaribbeanScholar,

I am Millie, a recent graduate of business management and marketing. Whilst I do not have experience of studying Geology with Physical Geography, I can provide you with a link to chat to Kerry- our Physical Geography student rep (https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share). She will be able to give you her insight on the course, the benefits of studying it at all and how shes found the assessment methods.
When I was making my university selection, for me it was important to consider the ranking of the course which I was going to study (as opposed to the rank of the university) as I knew this would be which impacted me most- there is however no right or wrong way of selecting and what you base it off as it will be different for everyone
The accommodation at Hull has been built within the past few years with the Courtyard full opening in 2017 and Westfield Court fully opening in 2019 so these are very modern with all that you would expect from student accommodation.

With regards to the city centre of Hull, like all city centres there are some nicer areas than others. We have 3 shopping centres (Prospect, Princes Quay and St Stephens) spread across the city with St Stephens being the most modern. However next to Princes Quay we have the Marina, Humber Street, Trinity Market and Hull Old Town with the Museums Quarter. These are really pretty areas with lots of indepedant businesses and restaurants.
Also I would say the main student area of Hull is outside of the city centre on 'The Avenues' (Newland Avenue and Princes Avenue) where there are lots of places for students to visit (clothes shops, cafes, bars, clubs etc) at student friendly prices- these could be worth looking at if you havent already

Hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep
CaribbeanScholar
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi there CaribbeanScholar,

I am Millie, a recent graduate of business management and marketing. Whilst I do not have experience of studying Geology with Physical Geography, I can provide you with a link to chat to Kerry- our Physical Geography student rep (https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share). She will be able to give you her insight on the course, the benefits of studying it at all and how shes found the assessment methods.
When I was making my university selection, for me it was important to consider the ranking of the course which I was going to study (as opposed to the rank of the university) as I knew this would be which impacted me most- there is however no right or wrong way of selecting and what you base it off as it will be different for everyone
The accommodation at Hull has been built within the past few years with the Courtyard full opening in 2017 and Westfield Court fully opening in 2019 so these are very modern with all that you would expect from student accommodation.

With regards to the city centre of Hull, like all city centres there are some nicer areas than others. We have 3 shopping centres (Prospect, Princes Quay and St Stephens) spread across the city with St Stephens being the most modern. However next to Princes Quay we have the Marina, Humber Street, Trinity Market and Hull Old Town with the Museums Quarter. These are really pretty areas with lots of indepedant businesses and restaurants.
Also I would say the main student area of Hull is outside of the city centre on 'The Avenues' (Newland Avenue and Princes Avenue) where there are lots of places for students to visit (clothes shops, cafes, bars, clubs etc) at student friendly prices- these could be worth looking at if you havent already

Hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep
I’m not really much of a party or a drinking person, do you think that I’d fit in, or is there quite a big party culture at Hull?
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaribbeanScholar)
I’m not really much of a party or a drinking person, do you think that I’d fit in, or is there quite a big party culture at Hull?
Hi again CaribbeanScholar,

Truthfully I am not a massive party person either (I'm much more of an early bird than a night owl)- but I think that's the brilliant thing about student living, as you can take from it what you want. In Hull there are lots of pubs, clubs and bars which have student friendly prices and cater to those who wish to party and drink but there is also a whole other range of things to do which don't involve alcohol or partying.

Some of my favourite places which I know are popular with other students include Cafe Gelato which is an ice cream and dessert cafe who make their own gelato and are based about a 15 minute walk away from the university. Also there is the board room which is a board game cafe where for a couple of pounds you can play as many games as you want to whilst visiting which I have always found to be quite a sociable yet relaxing thing to do In the city centre there is also a range of escape rooms, bowling alleys, free museums/ art galleries and of course The Deep (The Deep is extra good value as purchasing a ticket gives you access for the whole year).
I'd also recommend having a glance at our societies list and seeing if there's any that stand out to you (https://hulluniunion.com/societies/list) and if there isn't then you can always make your own- in my first year I joined English Society with my flatmate who was an English student and it was just really nice to meet different people.

I hope this helps and feel free to reply if there is anything else that I can help you with
Millie
Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads