The Student Room Group
Original post by Bianca BB
Is it worthwhile studying a MSc degree in Psychology that is not BPA accredited?

I assume you mean BPS? What do you want to do afterwards?
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
I assume you mean BPS? What do you want to do afterwards?

Hi, yes BPS. Sorry about the typing error.

I'd love to do go into practice, or research, if possible. I've been studying in South Africa the whole time, and only got introduced to the UK's psyc system recently. So I'm still very unsure of what the options are.

I've been offered a scholarship to study a MSc in Psyc that is not accredited with the BPS, but I don't know what I'll be able to do with that degree? Or should I just study a course that is accredited with the BPS?
Hi, yes BPS. Sorry about the typing error.

I'd love to do go into practice, or research, if possible. I've been studying in South Africa the whole time, and only got introduced to the UK's psyc system recently. So I'm still very unsure of what the options are.

I've been offered a scholarship to study a MSc in Psyc that is not accredited with the BPS, but I don't know what I'll be able to do with that degree? Or should I just study a course that is accredited with the BPS?

Depends what the accreditation is for.

If your talking about coversion courses, these are designed for people who don't have a BPS accredited psychology degree, which is a requirement to be a clinical/education/neuro psychologist in the UK (see BPS careers website)

Occasionally, you might need an accredited masters to work in a profession, e.g. Health Psychology https://careers.bps.org.uk/area/health/how-do-i-become-one

However, if you ultimatately want to do research, it is not a requirement to have any BPS accreditation, and most of the best postgraduate courses are not accredited.
Reply 4
Original post by iammichealjackson
Depends what the accreditation is for.

If your talking about coversion courses, these are designed for people who don't have a BPS accredited psychology degree, which is a requirement to be a clinical/education/neuro psychologist in the UK (see BPS careers website)

Occasionally, you might need an accredited masters to work in a profession, e.g. Health Psychology https://careers.bps.org.uk/area/health/how-do-i-become-one

However, if you ultimatately want to do research, it is not a requirement to have any BPS accreditation, and most of the best postgraduate courses are not accredited.

Hi

Thank your for your response.

What would I be able to do with a MSc in Psychology that is not BPS accredited?
Just to add that if you have an undergrad degree from South Africa, it may already be accredited (a small number of international degrees are, but according to this, none in South Africa are), or the BPS can evaluate it to see if it meets their criteria, see here: https://www.bps.org.uk/sites/www.bps.org.uk/files/Accreditation/Accreditation%20for%20Programmes%20Delivered%20Outside%20the%20UK%20%282019%29.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Interrobang
Just to add that if you have an undergrad degree from South Africa, it may already be accredited (a small number of international degrees are, but according to this, none in South Africa are), or the BPS can evaluate it to see if it meets their criteria, see here: https://www.bps.org.uk/sites/www.bps.org.uk/files/Accreditation/Accreditation%20for%20Programmes%20Delivered%20Outside%20the%20UK%20%282019%29.pdf

Hi

Is BPS accreditation necessary to do a doctorate?
What are the possible career opportunities with an MSc in Psychology that is not BPS accredited?
Hi

Is BPS accreditation necessary to do a doctorate?
What are the possible career opportunities with an MSc in Psychology that is not BPS accredited?

Yes - in order to apply for the doctorate (clinical, educational, forensic etc) you need to have EITHER an accredited undergrad degree, OR an accredited post-grad conversion course. If you don't have either of those, you can do research or do additional training in counselling (as a number of those courses don't necessarily require a degree at all)
Reply 8
Yes - in order to apply for the doctorate (clinical, educational, forensic etc) you need to have EITHER an accredited undergrad degree, OR an accredited post-grad conversion course. If you don't have either of those, you can do research or do additional training in counselling (as a number of those courses don't necessarily require a degree at all)

Hi, Thank you so much for your response.
Hi i am from India, I have completed my 3 yrs bachelor's in psychology which is not accredited. I am planning to study child psychology in Uk. I would like to work there as well. Could you please tell me if I need a BPS accredited course in masters or is it not needed for child psychology?I have gone through many universities which offer masters in child psychology but none are bps accredited.I have one more doubt too. Does both bachelor's and masters have to be bps accredited or can it be either one that should be bps accredited?
There is no job as a child psychologist- the closest would most likely be clinical or educational psychology. In order to train for either of those you need (as a minimum)

1. An accredited degree (undergraduate or postgraduate conversion course)
2. Relevant work experience
3. A doctorate in educational/clinical psychology

Original post by piped piper
Hi i am from India, I have completed my 3 yrs bachelor's in psychology which is not accredited. I am planning to study child psychology in Uk. I would like to work there as well. Could you please tell me if I need a BPS accredited course in masters or is it not needed for child psychology?I have gone through many universities which offer masters in child psychology but none are bps accredited.I have one more doubt too. Does both bachelor's and masters have to be bps accredited or can it be either one that should be bps accredited?
There is no job as a child psychologist- the closest would most likely be clinical or educational psychology. In order to train for either of those you need (as a minimum)

1. An accredited degree (undergraduate or postgraduate conversion course)
2. Relevant work experience
3. A doctorate in educational/clinical psychology

Thank you so much for your reply.😊

Latest