[Genuinely curious] Why does Mansfield and Wadham have such a high BAME population

Watch
SA2020SA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know the British education system doesn't have quotas like the American system but I'm curious as to why Mansfield and Wadham have such significantly higher BAME population.

Is it due to the number of BAME students applying or are the tutors more mindful of race in picking undergraduates? I don't mean any offence by this question, just curious.
eaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there are a few reasons.
1. They are both very dedicated to access and outreach schemes which causes more people from underrepresented areas to apply to them because students are more likely to apply to the colleges they're most exposed to.
2. They both have pledges to increase diversity and access so are more likely to use contextual offers and to take BAME or state-school applicants through the pool system

I highly doubt tutors are more mindful of race, I think most of the work done by both colleges to increase the BAME population lies in outreach schemes and contextualising the application as a whole.

Side note: Wadham is kinda known as a pretty progressive college and probably comes off as less 'hostile' to a BAME applicant. Also, it's kind of a knock off effect, the more representation a college has of BAME students, the more likely they are to apply and that increases the representation so the cycle continues.
TheCapstan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Interesting. Looks like a good college at Oxford. Are those two competitive?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SA2020SA)
I know the British education system doesn't have quotas like the American system but I'm curious as to why Mansfield and Wadham have such significantly higher BAME population.

Is it due to the number of BAME students applying or are the tutors more mindful of race in picking undergraduates? I don't mean any offence by this question, just curious.
Mansfield is about 90% state school, they are very into access for students. Although they won’t know a candidates race is until interviews - when they see them. UCAS only asks for race/sexuality for the stats and it isn’t actually parts of your application. Mansfield has also increased on the Oxford norrignton table - think that’s what it’s called, it’s 5th out of like 30 which is pretty good for a smaller college.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to data I've seen, these 2 colleges aren't exceptional. The university overall 3-year average for 2016-18 is 17.3% BAME, with Mansfield at the top with 23% but Wadham actually below average at 16.7%. Memory tells me that the 2019 figures are also close to average.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...ort%202019.pdf
As an earlier poster pointed out, Mansfield is the only really outstanding college in terms of getting close to having the same proprtion of students from state schools as there actually are in the country as a whole. They attribute this to an especially enthusiastic outreach programme, and I'd imagine their slightly better performance in representing BAME students is a function of this too.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SA2020SA)

Are they? What's your source?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (55)
15.58%
I'm not sure (9)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.56%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.7%
I'm not a current university student (161)
45.61%

Watched Threads