The Student Room Group

I Am Not Throwing Away My Shot - A Year 12 GYG 2020/2021

Forest Shower.jpg

DownRangeLion's GYG 2020/2021 -- I Am Not Throwing Away My Shot

H
ey, everyone!

This year I'm starting Year 12, first year of A Levels, and it's going to be a rough one.

I should introduce myself; I'm DownRangeLion. There's not much to know; I'm moving to a new sixth form, so there's going to be a lot of nerves knocking around, but it's gonna be fine (hopefully).

Oh, and it's important to note that I want to do Natural Sciences/Zoology/that kind of thing at university. Keep this in mind.

_______________________________________ :jive: ____________________________________________

GCSEs

Spoiler

I'm a little bummed out at these results, because I know that I'm capable of higher, but I'm going to learn from my mistakes for the future. There's nothing I can do but accept them and move on. The good news is that I'm going to my first choice sixth form, the bad news, well...

_______________________________________ :jive: ____________________________________________

Original A Levels

Spoiler

The day after results day I get an email; I can't have my first choice of A Levels because everyone had much better grades in the Year 11 of that school due to their CAG and so I was the lowest priority as a new student. I could keep Biology and RS, but I can't do Chemistry.

Yeah, ouch. Tears were shed.

I had an hour to come up with a solution. It's safe to say that I went from "My life is ruined" to "Just try and get in my way" in the space of that hour.

Final A Levels

Spoiler

You can see how much of a pain this is going to be, right?

Hence the name of my GYG (yes, it's a Hamilton pun lol). I'm not letting my sixth form change what career I'm going to do just because of an over subscription. I have a few options:

Spoiler

Bottom line, I am doing Chemistry for A Level, whether my school want me to or not. It's my turn to be proactive and take control; I'll do whatever it takes, and no admin issue is going to stop me. I'm also trying to stay positive -- honestly, if I didn't have cadets, I would not be able to cope with this hiccup. I suppose that's something you learn: to adapt when plans go wrong.

Now we're up to date, I'll put some stuff about me down :smile:

I
nterests

Spoiler

Aims

Spoiler

I'll update this once a week (every Friday), and see what happens on the whole subject front. If you want to be tagged (is this how it goes?), reply saying so and I'll add you (I have no idea how this goes -- I'll learn as I go, I guess).

Tag List :turtle:

Spoiler

Post Masterlist

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi. Could you tag me to this GYG?:sub2:

I hope you get to do the subjects you want at your sixth form :smile:
Original post by philogrobized
Hi. Could you tag me to this GYG?:sub2:

I hope you get to do the subjects you want at your sixth form :smile:

Totally! (I don't really know how but I'll figure it out lol).

Me too, haha! My friend actually texted me a little while ago saying that someone who was taking Chemistry had refused their offer as of yesterday, so maybe there's still hope? All my fingers are crossed rn haha.
Original post by DownRangeLion
Totally! (I don't really know how but I'll figure it out lol).

Me too, haha! My friend actually texted me a little while ago saying that someone who was taking Chemistry had refused their offer as of yesterday, so maybe there's still hope? All my fingers are crossed rn haha.

so whenever you post an update you have a spoiler with @(username) in like a list with whoever asked. that way they'll get a notification every time so they know when you.post. I hope that makes sense and 🤞
so whenever you post an update you have a spoiler with @(username) in like a list with whoever asked. that way they'll get a notification every time so they know when you.post. I hope that makes sense and 🤞

Ohhhh okay I got it. Thanks! and thank youuuuu :smile:
Yes, totally! And thank you so much!! (I’m gonna need it, haha!)
i hope that you get to swap for chemistry!! best wishes from ur best friend :wink:
Original post by bookausten
i hope that you get to swap for chemistry!! best wishes from ur best friend :wink:

Thank youuuuu :smile:
FRIDAY 28 AUGUST 2020 -- ONE WEEK TO GO

Yay, first post!

So, since I've taken English Lit last minute, I have to do some reading (The Great Gatsby, Dracula, and The Handmaid's Tale). So this week, I read The Great Gatsby. I was left with such an empty feeling as I finished it. I also watched the film last night and by the credits I felt almost exactly the same as I did when I finished the book. I did actually quite like it, but it wouldn't be the kind of book I would read on a regular basis, haha. I really loved the descriptions of Gatsby's parties. They felt so real, and actually put me in a sort of partying mood. Also I always cast Gatsby as Henry Cavill, but Leo was really quite awesome at it, haha.

I also have to finish my RS bridging work. The A level I'm doing is actually PRE (Philosophy, Religion, and Ethics), so I need to write about three topics (I chose feminism, abortion, and animal experimentation), and I have to get arguments for, against, and find case studies, laws, news items, etc.

Personally, finding the arguments against these topics are really difficult, and they make me quite angry, but if it's what the teacher wants, it's what the teacher wants... *sighs*.

Over the weekend, a friend of mine texted me saying that her dad knows someone who turned down her application at the school I'm going to, who was an internal student AND was going to do Chemistry. Fingers crossed... I just have to pop in on the first day and say, "if there are any places, I would love to take them." I've done the Chemistry bridging work anyway so I'm looking to give that in anyway.

My first day of term is the 3rd of September. Luckily it's an orientation day, so I don't have to worry about getting lost and stuff. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk to my new form tutor and/or the Chemistry teacher to work something out. I haven't seen any COVID cases where the school is, so that's putting me at ease a little bit, but I don't know where the students are coming from so the health anxiety is still there.

(I really want an ID card or something. That'll be fun to have.)

Another thing I was thinking about was starting a Studytube channel, but I'm getting very mixed feelings about it and I'm constantly going back and forth (maybe a part of that is stage fright, but I haven't really been socially anxious in a while).

We were going to have virtual parades this week at cadets, but they got cancelled both times. Guess we have to wait until next week. Also, for any cadets that are reading this, the email handle has changed from rafac.mod.uk to rafac.mod.gov.uk, so be sure to use that to log into cadet portal in the future.

No photos this week, but next week I'm thinking of sharing my bullet journal spreads and my new folders and homework planner (spoilers: I love them).

My plan for the rest of the day is to finish my RS bridging work completely, before settling down with Dracula, maybe Poldark (bc Aidan Turner lmao), and a cup of decaf coffee (the golden rule to a normal sleep cycle is no caffeine after four, imho lol).

I think that's everything, so time for the tags:

Spoiler

That sounds great. I plan on reading The Great Gatsby at some point in the future but I'm quite interested in reading some Oscar Wilde.

You sound quite prepared for sixth form. Hope you have a good start :smile:
tag me, love how you’re doing Chem whether they like it or not :smile:
That sounds great. I plan on reading The Great Gatsby at some point in the future but I'm quite interested in reading some Oscar Wilde.

You sound quite prepared for sixth form. Hope you have a good start :smile:

I definitely recommend it :smile: Oscar Wilde is really good what books of his have caught your interest?

I don’t feel prepared haha but thank you 😊 I hope you do as well :smile:
Original post by zacn01
tag me, love how you’re doing Chem whether they like it or not :smile:

Will do! Thank you haha, it’s gonna be hard but hopefully worth it :smile:
tag me pls this seems interesting:biggrin:
Original post by cloud_9_
tag me pls this seems interesting:biggrin:

Will do! And yeah, haha, first day will be wild lol.
Original post by DownRangeLion
I definitely recommend it :smile: Oscar Wilde is really good what books of his have caught your interest?

I don’t feel prepared haha but thank you 😊 I hope you do as well :smile:

I've heard the importance of being earnest is good and also the picture of Dorian gray. What have you read by him?
Tag me please!

Hope you find a way to do chemistry a level :smile:
I've just come across this - that is an awesome title :smile:

I wish you the best of luck this year!
I've heard the importance of being earnest is good and also the picture of Dorian gray. What have you read by him?

The Picture of Dorian Gray -- The plot is absolutely amazing and enthralling. I would highly recommend it. Especially if philosophical novels are your kinda thing. I'll have to look into The Importance of Being Earnest :smile:
Original post by Burfee!
Tag me please!

Hope you find a way to do chemistry a level :smile:

Will do! And thank you! Keeping my hopes up haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending