not sure which sixth form to choose

Watch
bluee23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have no idea which two sixth forms to choose...
sixth form 1

pros:
My current school - so i'm familiar
They're allowing me to do all the subjects I want
Mixed school
I have friends there
already comfortable since I've been there for 5 years
I can leave if I don't have any lessons for the remainder of the day

cons:
Further than the other school
Some people I don't like are still going
Unsure how I feel about the travel - also I don't really wanna see the other people again

sixth form 2
pros: closer to my house less people (only 100)
results were good
i know 1 friend already going
fresh start

cons:
can't do one subject I really wanted to do
scared of meeting new people
all girls - i don't know if i'll be comfortable
can't leave the school - you have to stay the whole time.

I keep thinking of sixth form 2 but then my mind goes back to sixth form 1 - but then I think of sixth form 2 but then my mind changes to sixth form 1. It's an ongoing thing and I have no idea what I want to do. Any ideas?

I was wondering if I could possibly go to the 2nd choice sixth form on Friday and if I don't like it - I could switch back to my main school on Monday? (I don't know if that's even allowed, so let me know what I can do)Thank you !
Last edited by bluee23; 10 months ago
90 cent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
similar to my own situation, in my case i chose to go with sixth form 2, you can never be too sure which one will be the best for you, as they both had (in my case and yours) pro's and con's, the reason i chose the school, (like sixth form 2) was for the sake of a new start and not having to see old faces again, even if 1 mate of yours is going to go there, it's better than going there without any, regardless there'll be so many other new people in the same position, making friends is A LOT easier when there are people in the same circumstance as you are.
hope this helps x
BTW yes, most allow you to go back to your old school if your not comfortable but this usually has to be done quite quick
Last edited by 90 cent; 10 months ago
bluee23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yas031119)
similar to my own situation, in my case i chose to go with sixth form 2, you can never be too sure which one will be the best for you, as they both had (in my case and yours) pro's and con's, the reason i chose the school, (like sixth form 2) was for the sake of a new start and not having to see old faces again, even if 1 mate of yours is going to go there, it's better than going there without any, regardless there'll be so many other new people in the same position, making friends is A LOT easier when there are people in the same circumstance as you are.
hope this helps x
BTW yes, most allow you to go back to your old school if your not comfortable but this usually has to be done quite quick
Thank youuuu - it's good to know i'm not alone and you're right its good to have a change especially after 5 years - decided to sleep on it and I've been leaning towards sixth form 2. I was just wondering do I tell my current school that I'm going to attend another one and if I don't like it - I can come back? Or do I just go to the other school and not inform my current one?
90 cent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by bluee23)
Thank youuuu - it's good to know i'm not alone and you're right its good to have a change especially after 5 years - decided to sleep on it and I've been leaning towards sixth form 2. I was just wondering do I tell my current school that I'm going to attend another one and if I don't like it - I can come back? Or do I just go to the other school and not inform my current one?
definitely inform your current one, your welcome thoughh and that's good to hear
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I would definitely recommend sixth form 1. I know this sounds a little harsh but the most important thing about sixth form is getting the qualifications you need to get to the next stage- doing the right A-levels is crucial so go where you can study what you want and need. If this coincides with where your friends are and where you feel comfortable I would not move. Sixth form is less than two years before you can have a huge change by moving to university and changing city/country. I really empathize with you in that I wanted a change at the end of secondary school, especially as I had few friends at my school, and did move- but I wouldn't have moved if that meant sacrificing my A-level options. The sixth form at your school (sixth form 1) will likely feel very different to lower school, new people will join, different courses...
I hope this helps or at least gives a different opinion for you to consider
bluee23
Rep:
?
(Original post by historynerd47)
Hi, I would definitely recommend sixth form 1. I know this sounds a little harsh but the most important thing about sixth form is getting the qualifications you need to get to the next stage- doing the right A-levels is crucial so go where you can study what you want and need. If this coincides with where your friends are and where you feel comfortable I would not move. Sixth form is less than two years before you can have a huge change by moving to university and changing city/country. I really empathize with you in that I wanted a change at the end of secondary school, especially as I had few friends at my school, and did move- but I wouldn't have moved if that meant sacrificing my A-level options. The sixth form at your school (sixth form 1) will likely feel very different to lower school, new people will join, different courses...
I hope this helps or at least gives a different opinion for you to consider
Thanks so much for answering - and... I've ultimately stuck with sixth form 1 for all the reasons that you just stated - and I'm really happy i did aha
historynerd47
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by bluee23)
Thanks so much for answering - and... I've ultimately stuck with sixth form 1 for all the reasons that you just stated - and I'm really happy i did aha
no worries, good luck at sixth form!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.33%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.1%
Financial worries (62)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.22%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.21%

Watched Threads