Advice to boost chances of acceptance onto history degree

Watch
ChasenStars
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone.
This may be a long read but long story short I am looking for information and advice to boost my application and Personal Statement
I'm 22 years old and left school in 2016 in the middle of my sixth year with National 4's in Art, Maths, Biology, and Chemistry . 1 A in Nat5 Drama, B's in English and Modern Studies and C's In Business Management and computing science and a single Higher at B in Geography. I did apply to UCAS in 2016 before leaving school and had planned to study sociology, I had conditional offers at Aberdeen and Robert Gordon. After leaving School I floundered a bit and took on an NQ in Music Business and completed half on my HNC before dropping out due to having no choice but to move out of my family home.
Fast Forward 2 years and I am now beginning a college course to undertake 4 higher (Sociology, Psychology, English, and History) which puts me in a place to be able to apply for university again for 21/22 entry. I've picked out my 5 UCAS choices
. Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies and History at Aberdeen
. History at Aberdeen
. Anthropology and History at Aberdeen
. History at Dundee
. Applied Social sciences at RGU.

knowing that this is essentially last chance saloon for me in terms of getting into uni I have already swallowed the shame that all my friends are graduating their degrees this year while I'm back where I started and I now want to buckle down and do everything I can to get in.

In terms of my personal statement, I can already include activities I used last time such as the yearbook committee, being a school buddy, and working in the school shows. As well as my 4th-year work experience in a library and my fundraiser in which I raised £400 for charity shaving my head age 16. From my previous college course, I can include organizing a large conference event that can vouch for my responsibility, organization, teamwork, and communication skills.
However as well as being able to mention my love and interest in stories, people, and culture I'm looking for some things to add more specific to my niche to boost my chances. I recently started listening to the History podcast: Revolutions and have been looking into short online courses on edx and future learn to increase my knowledge. My specific interests are in Birth of folklore around the world and Ancient Cultures. Does anyone have advice or perhaps reading or listening material that could help my application be as attractive as possible?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
TSR advice here on Applying for History : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree

Generally, in your PS you need to focus on why you want to do History (think about the moment you realised this was the subject for you, what prompted that?), and what you've done to further this interest - podcasts lectures, exhibitions, detailed reading etc.

If you are stuck on this look at the Gresham College podcasts (lots of subjects beyond just History) - they are all delivered by leading Uni lecturers and researchers - https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/?subject=history, and this book is worth reading by anyone thinking of doing History - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-Hi...dp/1137478594/ - it explains what involved in studying history, the different ways of studying history ('historiography') and will give you lots of ideas.
ChasenStars
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
That's something I'm struggling with, I'm autistic so I tend to latch onto subjects from really odd sources. I got really into wanting to study History after the first time I watched Les Miserables and became obsessed with the French revolution, this became a love for learning the stories and cultures of different countries and sprung on from there. Not sure how to convey this is a better way though... Thank you for the tip though will absolutely be checking out what you recommended.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads