Is going to a Russell Group University really that important?

Watch
MaaattC
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone,

So I'm going to Loughborough University in September which I still think is a really good choice. I'm planning on studying Business Management and want to get into a competitive job.

People go on about how Russell Group universities have high entry requirements for A-Levels but I got A*AA. Will this truly hinder my chances of being filtered out or is this view just extremely overblown on TSR?

Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Of course it isn't.

It's a hype and the RG has done well to drum themselves up.

RG is a research alliance anyway, and a lot of undergrad students don't do a lot of research in their first degree.

This is especially true for vocation degrees like Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med etc.

There are plenty of well-respected unis that's not in the RG, like Loughborough as OP mentioned, St Andrews etc.

The now-disbanded "1994 Group" is a good alternative list of unis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
StDave
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Go to the best university you can with a course you like (that fits with your ambitions), in an environment you like and enjoy. This really is much more important. If that's not a Russell Group university, then so what? As long it's not the University of Mickey Mouse, employers don't care.

People who only consider RG, even if it means ignoring better non RG universities, really do display a lack of critical thinking.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The Russell Group is a group that lobbies the government for research funding.

You are going to do an undergraduate degree i.e. for teaching (not research).

The Russell Group is often sold by teachers and schools as some sort of list of unis you should be targetting, this is not the case Loughborough is a great uni.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Overblown on TSR for sure. :yep:

If you like a uni, go there. There are some courses / career sectors where the instution you attend carries some weight. For many degrees and jobs it is close to irrelevant.
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Unless its Oxbridge, no. I'd sat that most of the older universities (pre-92) are pretty much on the same level, give or take some minor differences. Be happy with your choice, and good luck.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Lboro, Lancaster and Bath are all very strong non-RGs that beat out a lot of RGs.

Most "top" universities are RG but certainly not all RGs are top universities. It's just a marketing gimmick really, implies nothing about the uni.
Last edited by _gcx; 3 months ago
NE1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have a RG uni practically on my doorstep and I decided not to go to it. Yeah I applied but after looking through the modules for their film/media courses, I found their course to be quite limiting (content wise) compared to other universities around my area.

RG unis are overhyped and only a small handful of people in my sixth form made an RG uni their firm choice. For me, it’s all about the course and the environment. If you love both of those things, that’s the uni to go to! I’m starting a degree in Media Production at Sunderland University in September and as soon as I went to an open day there, I knew that this was the uni for me. The modules cover a wide range of areas, you get to choose which route you want to go down in your 2nd and 3rd year and the facilities are top notch plus the campuses have everything you need close by so in a nutshell, RG unis aren’t always the top dogs.
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey i go to Loughborough! and weirdly enough i always thought i had to go to a RG uni otherwise uni would be pointless. but i didnt!

Loughborough has really great connections and if you’re doing a placement year you’ll get some really good opportunities that’s for sure.

(and Loughborough definitely could be RG. Vice Chancellor said recently the uni chose not to be.)
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by NE1)
I have a RG uni practically on my doorstep and I decided not to go to it. Yeah I applied but after looking through the modules for their film/media courses, I found their course to be quite limiting (content wise) compared to other universities around my area.

RG unis are overhyped and only a small handful of people in my sixth form made an RG uni their firm choice. For me, it’s all about the course and the environment. If you love both of those things, that’s the uni to go to! I’m starting a degree in Media Production at Sunderland University in September and as soon as I went to an open day there, I knew that this was the uni for me. The modules cover a wide range of areas, you get to choose which route you want to go down in your 2nd and 3rd year and the facilities are top notch plus the campuses have everything you need close by so in a nutshell, RG unis aren’t always the top dogs.
Gut instinct is everything! Thank you for the feedback NE1 we're looking forward to welcoming you in September
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bubblecat)
(and Loughborough definitely could be RG. Vice Chancellor said recently the uni chose not to be.)
Loughborough is a great uni, but the RG is literally just about research money.
Uni's have allowed the Russell group uni hype to be over used because it is good marketing,

I dont know how uni's get chosen but Im fairly sure if offered they would join, not to be part of the clique more just because it would give them more leverage for research funding.
Loughborough ranked 25th in the last REF power ranking which whilst very strong would be on the bottom end of the RG uni's.
Last edited by mnot; 3 months ago
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Loughborough is a great uni, but the RG is literally just about research money.
Uni's have allowed the Russell group uni hype to be over used because it is good marketing,

I dont know how uni's get chosen but Im fairly sure if offered they would join, not to be part of the clique more just because it would give them more leverage for research funding.
Loughborough ranked 25th in the last REF power ranking which whilst very strong would be on the bottom end of the RG uni's.
yeah the VC said they didnt want to join because they didnt want to be as much of a research-uni as the RG unis (therefore not needing research money). he also said he wanted loughborough to be seen as individual and not part if a group.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yeah the VC said they didnt want to join because they didnt want to be as much of a research-uni as the RG unis (therefore not needing research money). he also said he wanted loughborough to be seen as individual and not part if a group.
It sounds like a nice line for the open day, but Im pretty sure if Loughborough were offered more research funding & opportunities they would take it.
Loughborough already has excellent research particularly in engineering & sport science but just not the same volume across the board as most RG uni's.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
It sounds like a nice line for the open day, but Im pretty sure if Loughborough were offered more research funding & opportunities they would take it.
Loughborough already has excellent research particularly in engineering & sport science but just not the same volume across the board as most RG uni's.
he’s been saying it for years, and RG is overrated anyway. clearly lboro dont need to be apart of RG as theyre higher ranked than 2/3 of them lol. you can say what you want tho bro i’m just repeating what the VC has said.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
he’s been saying it for years, and RG is overrated anyway. clearly lboro dont need to be apart of RG as theyre higher ranked than 2/3 of them lol. you can say what you want tho bro i’m just repeating what the VC has said.
My whole point was the Russell Group has nothing to do with undergraduate education (and hence is of little or no relevance when picking a uni for a taught degree), and I believe the VC says it but I dont believe they would wilfully turn down excellent research opportunities.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
My whole point was the Russell Group has nothing to do with undergraduate education (and hence is of little or no relevance when picking a uni for a taught degree), and I believe the VC says it but I dont believe they would wilfully turn down excellent research opportunities.
believe what you want bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ doesnt change facts.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
believe what you want bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ doesnt change facts.
interesting, I could say the same thing.

I made the point Loughborough is a great uni & focusing on the RG is not relevant for undergraduate education.
All I did was point out that the data from the last REF, and mentioned I didnt think Loughborough would turn down good research opportunities if they had the option, when you said Loughborough definitely could be a Russell Group uni and mention things like undergraduate league tables which arent really relevant to what the Russell Group does.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
interesting, I could say the same thing.

I made the point Loughborough is a great uni & focusing on the RG is not relevant for undergraduate education.
All I did was point out that the data from the last REF, and mentioned I didnt think Loughborough would turn down good research opportunities if they had the option, when you said Loughborough definitely could be a Russell Group uni and mention things like undergraduate league tables which arent really relevant to what the Russell Group does.
and thats what you THINK. i’m going off of what the Vice Chancellor of Loughborough has SAID. are you the Vice Chancellor of Loughborough?
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The Russell Group is nonsense imo, though university choice is quite important for jobs and your career outside the world of healthcare professionals
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
It depends.
I say it has benefits research or not.
I wouldnt dismiss it as easily as everyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads