Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi I applied to study English literature BA in the fall at university of manchester. Considering the time and me being an international student should I go for it? Because it’s a lot of money so will I get my moneys worth?
bored_user:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why an English lit degree tho? Manchester is a top uni and if you are from a foreign country you would be valued HEAVILY by employers.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by bored_user:))
Why an English lit degree tho? Manchester is a top uni and if you are from a foreign country you would be valued HEAVILY by employers.
Well my first language isn’t English but I studied in a private school where English literature was one of my main subjects and always performed very well and I love reading so I thought it was the perfect degree for me. But the pandemic has spurred recession in most countries that’s why I’m worried if English is the best subject to study right now?
bored_user:)
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well my first language isn’t English but I studied in a private school where English literature was one of my main subjects and always performed very well and I love reading so I thought it was the perfect degree for me. But the pandemic has spurred recession in most countries that’s why I’m worried if English is the best subject to study right now?
I personally think that it wouldnt be the most employable one when you could choose other subjects like Economics, Business management or STEM!
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think you should study the subject you like there is no point going with a subject that is more employable but you don’t enjoy it as it’s waste of money
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
:ditto:
I agree strongly with the above poster. Choose a subject you want to study.

As for your actual question - my question would be what sort of careers would you be interested in working in? And what is the best way of getting there?
If a BA in English from Manchester is going to help you along that road - go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads