a_polish_student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there!

Going through the gov.uk and other official websites I've found one thing I would like the SFE to clarify.
It's about the eligibility of students from the European Union that hold pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to receive the home fee status and tuition fee loan for courses that begin in the 2021/22 academic year.

In the link that SFE Representative Issac always replies with (here) is the following statement:
-> 'It [ineligibility to apply for student finance] will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.'

In addition to that, on the gov.uk page about student finance for EU students (here) you can find the following annotation:
-> 'If you’re starting a course on or after 1 August 2021, you must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance. This does not apply if you’re an Irish national. Check back for further updates on student finance funding for the 2021 to 2022 academic year.'

Does it mean that the government has confirmed that people who hold the pre-settled status will be indeed eligible for the mentioned home fee status and tuition fee loan?

Thank you for your time!
Have a great day!

PS.: If the response will be about the regulations for the 2021/22 academic year not being released yet, when should we expect them? (if no date is announced, at what date comparing to the previous years)
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by a_polish_student)
Hi there!

Going through the gov.uk and other official websites I've found one thing I would like the SFE to clarify.
It's about the eligibility of students from the European Union that hold pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to receive the home fee status and tuition fee loan for courses that begin in the 2021/22 academic year.

In the link that SFE Representative Issac always replies with (here) is the following statement:
-> 'It [ineligibility to apply for student finance] will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.'

In addition to that, on the gov.uk page about student finance for EU students (here) you can find the following annotation:
-> 'If you’re starting a course on or after 1 August 2021, you must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance. This does not apply if you’re an Irish national. Check back for further updates on student finance funding for the 2021 to 2022 academic year.'

Does it mean that the government has confirmed that people who hold the pre-settled status will be indeed eligible for the mentioned home fee status and tuition fee loan?

Thank you for your time!
Have a great day!

PS.: If the response will be about the regulations for the 2021/22 academic year not being released yet, when should we expect them? (if no date is announced, at what date comparing to the previous years)
Hi, I understand I always reply with the same message, apologies for that - it's just because that's the only information available at the moment.

From our understanding, EU Nationals with settled or pre settled status should be able to apply. I wouldn't like to give any guarantees until our regulations are released. We should know for sure by early next year
Thanks, Isaac
lexgarcia55
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello, I am going through the same situation but I was hoping that the announcement would be made before UCAS applications open (8th of September)Otherwise, students (with pre-settled status) would apply without knowing any information regarding tuition fees or student finance. Furthermore, students considering Medicine/Dentistry/Oxbridge/etc would have to apply before early next year.I called the Department for Education and UKCISA hoping I would get some information but they had none to offer.I also submitted a form (in the Department for Education webpage: https://form.education.gov.uk/en/Ach...efinition.json
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lexgarcia55)
Hello, I am going through the same situation but I was hoping that the announcement would be made before UCAS applications open (8th of September)Otherwise, students (with pre-settled status) would apply without knowing any information regarding tuition fees or student finance. Furthermore, students considering Medicine/Dentistry/Oxbridge/etc would have to apply before early next year.I called the Department for Education and UKCISA hoping I would get some information but they had none to offer.I also submitted a form (in the Department for Education webpage: https://form.education.gov.uk/en/Ach...efinition.json
Hi there, based on the governments announcement - EU Nationals with pre settled and settled status should be able to apply.
The SFE 21/22 regulations have not been released yet though will follow the same as what the government says.
Thanks, Isaac
Glutonie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Isaac can you please pass on that it’s really quite maddening that the UK government can’t give us any info now - some students are applying now, not early next year.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glutonie)
Isaac can you please pass on that it’s really quite maddening that the UK government can’t give us any info now - some students are applying now, not early next year.
I understand your frustration. You can still apply through UCAS and cancel your application in the future if you decide not to go.It's only the UCAS deadline that is in January.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (557)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.18%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads