Cheshirecat456
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I am struggling to figure out what funding I am eligible for, for the diagnostic radiography course at Bangor University.

I start this September and will be completing the course full-time (I applied through clearing).
I currently live in England and have in the past, however I intend to move to Wales and live and work there for the duration and after the course.
I have had student financing for a previous degree at the University of York (I recently graduated).
I wish to live away from home in a rental property near Wrexham.
My parents are in the lowest income threshold bracket and are providing no financial support.

If anyone could please advise me on what I am eligible for I would appreciate it.

Scenario 1:
I apply for NHS Wales funding on the condition that I work in Wales for 2 years after the course.

I receive:
Tuition fees paid for (Total £9000)
NHS bursary non-means tested grant £1000
A means tested bursary (of which I will receive the full amount based on the income of my parent) £2643
An extra £84 a week for courses longer than 30 weeks (I unfortunately can't find any information on the length of my course so for now let's say this is £0)
A student loan from the Welsh student finance company (living elsewhere) £4405
Help with placement costs

Total £8048

Problems:
Can I apply for student finance Wales?

Scenario 2:
I apply for NHS Wales funding on the condition that I work in Wales for 2 years after the course.

I receive:
A means tested bursary (of which I will receive the full amount based on the income of my parent) £2643
An extra £84 a week for courses longer than 30 weeks (I unfortunately can't find any information on the length of my course so for now let's say this is £0)
A student loan from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £2458

Total: £6101

Problems:
This does not cover my predicted living costs.

Scenario 3:
I do not apply for NHS Wales funding and fund everything through student finance England

I receive:
Tuition fees loan for (Total £9000)
A student loan from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £6597
A grant from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £3893

Total: £10490

Problems:
Is this even possible as this is a NHS funded course?
I believe I am eligible to apply for a second student loan as this is a AHP course but I am unsure.
This would add significantly to by student debt.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Cheshirecat456)
Hello,

I am struggling to figure out what funding I am eligible for, for the diagnostic radiography course at Bangor University.

I start this September and will be completing the course full-time (I applied through clearing).
I currently live in England and have in the past, however I intend to move to Wales and live and work there for the duration and after the course.
I have had student financing for a previous degree at the University of York (I recently graduated).
I wish to live away from home in a rental property near Wrexham.
My parents are in the lowest income threshold bracket and are providing no financial support.

If anyone could please advise me on what I am eligible for I would appreciate it.

Scenario 1:

I receive:
A student loan from the Welsh student finance company (living elsewhere) £4405

Total £8048

Problems:
Can I apply for student finance Wales?

Scenario 2:

I receive:
A student loan from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £2458

Total: £6101

Problems:
This does not cover my predicted living costs.

Scenario 3:
I do not apply for NHS Wales funding and fund everything through student finance England

I receive:
Tuition fees loan for (Total £9000)
A student loan from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £6597
A grant from the English student finance company (living elsewhere) £3893

Total: £10490

Problems:
Is this even possible as this is a NHS funded course?
I believe I am eligible to apply for a second student loan as this is a AHP course but I am unsure.
This would add significantly to by student debt.
Hi Cheshirecat456,

Congratulations! We're so pleased to hear you are coming to study with us this September.

Take a look at this page which helps with the NHS funded courses - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentserv...ice/NHS.php.en you can also email our team at [email protected] or have a chat to Wendy on the staff section under the role Money and Student Advisor on https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/unibuddy

Thanks
Bangor Uni Team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (545)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (664)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.54%

Watched Threads