Educational Requirements for becoming a detective?

Watch
BrowE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m from the UK and I want to become a detective. I’ve just chosen Biology, Maths and Psychology as my A-levels. Is this a good idea? Also can anyone help guide me as to what to do after college? I know it’s a while away but I want to try and plan my future a bit and see where I need to go and what I need to do to achieve my dream.
Nosequeponer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BrowE)
I’m from the UK and I want to become a detective. I’ve just chosen Biology, Maths and Psychology as my A-levels. Is this a good idea? Also can anyone help guide me as to what to do after college? I know it’s a while away but I want to try and plan my future a bit and see where I need to go and what I need to do to achieve my dream.
Hi if God wills it I would like to be a detective too ! I’m going to start year 12 this September and I’ve chosen. Criminology law sociology and Spanish, after that I’ll go to uni to do criminology and criminal justice and months ago I spoke with a police officer and they told me that it was good to have a master (MSc) so we’re prepared better then I found a college of Policing which apparently is good ,
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can probably do any A level. You just need to make sure you do A levels that you enjoy in order to get the best grades possible.

My brother has been working as one for the last 15 years and his school grades weren't great but he's managed just fine! :rambo:
BrowE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
You can probably do any A level. You just need to make sure you do A levels that you enjoy in order to get the best grades possible.

My brother has been working as one for the last 15 years and his school grades weren't great but he's managed just fine! :rambo:
Awesome! Thanks!
BrowE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nosequeponer)
Hi if God wills it I would like to be a detective too ! I’m going to start year 12 this September and I’ve chosen. Criminology law sociology and Spanish, after that I’ll go to uni to do criminology and criminal justice and months ago I spoke with a police officer and they told me that it was good to have a master (MSc) so we’re prepared better then I found a college of Policing which apparently is good ,
Sick, I hope you get to do what you love too! I’m a year 12 this month too and I’m just going to see what happens XD thank you!
ununpentium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think really most A level options will be fine, if you can study stuff like psychology, law, sociology, criminology etc it will put you in good stead.

Back in the day you didn't need any special qualifications to join the police apart from O levels/ GCSEs. Now they have changed the requirements because policing is becoming a profession akin to medicine and law. People wanting to become police officers will now need a more academic background.

You can study a professional policing undergraduate degree, you can study any degree and then complete a kind of 2 year conversion programme to give further police training and you get a diploma in professional police practice. Or you can do a police constable degree apprenticeship which is like a degree with on the job learning.

I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Policing and Criminal Justice. My university is seeking to get it accredited so future students can directly join the police force.

Also another great thing to do is become a special constable as soon as you can- you get full training and have full police powers but it's an unpaid role. It's a great way of seeing if a career in the police is right for you.

If you know you want to be a detective, then there is the national detective programme. It's a postgraduate programme that lasts for two years, and you earn a salary. You will learn the skills required to be a detective, earning a graduate diploma in professional police practice. You need to pass the National Investigators Exam as well as the Professionalising Investigation Programme. Even on this programme you are still expected to spend time with uniformed officers performing the "on the beat" duties.
Arden University
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BrowE)
Hi BrowE,

I thought I'd send you links to access a couple of webinars we have run at Arden University that you might find useful/interesting as you explore your career options related to becoming a detective!

Firstly, here's a taster webinar we ran on studying Criminology at uni which is perhaps something you will be considering: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...51475525187080

And here's a careers webinar on becoming a death investigator which was fab! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...51910394435848

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (231)
31.09%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (363)
48.86%

Watched Threads