Jim 121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 17 and going into year 13 studying maths physics and chemistry. I would like to become a pilot but I am finding in complicated on the steps to become one.

I have found out that it can cost around £80k for training. I am from a poor family so this is a problem.

what could be my steps to become a pilot?
Billyjackson101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Technically you don’t need any grades at all, but that’s correct it can cost around 80-200k.
You don’t pay this yourself, you apply for a trainee pilot job let’s say BA, then they’ll hire you and train you so they’ll pay the training and lessons plus you’ll even train on a multi million pound simulator. However once you sign that contract you have to work there for a minimum of 15~ years if you leave any sooner you’ll owe them the 80-200k but after 15 or the term stated is up you’re a freeman
pharmacy111
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry this is late but the previous reply is incorrect. First step, since the field is so competitive to find your first job you need to get a degree, while this isn't 100% needed; it will help you stand out from the many, many other people applying. The degree you choose doesn't matter, however something like physics will probably be the best. Then you will need to go to flight school. There are 2 types of courses you can take. The first 1 is the integrated pilots program, this will take you from no experience to qualified co-pilot in around a year, this is the more costly one and will cost you around £80-100k. Secondly there is modular. As a modular student you will train on your own schedule, part time or full time. As a modular student you will complete the course in modules throughout different flight schools, not belonging to a certain one. If you are working a full time job or something then this is what you need as you can work around that job, modular will cost you around £40k as you are training by yourself. So why choose integrated? Well finding your first pilot job is extremely hard and many people have to move country to find one due to the competition, airlines will choose integrated over modular any day, and if the flight school you chose is reputable they will try their best to find you a place in an airline to help you out. Once you do either of the courses, you will now be able to apply to airlines. Once employed the training isn't over, you will do your last part of the training with an airline called a typerating which will cost you around £20k. This training will teach you how to fly the plane you will be flying at work. Once completed you will then be a fully qualified co pilot, and in around 5-15 years (Depending on the airline) be a captain.

Now salary wise, the starting salary right after graduating is around £30k as a junior co pilot. After some experience you can expect that to rise to around £60k as a mid-level to senior co pilot. Once promoted to a captain your salary will raise to around £100k as a junior captain, and at the top around £200k as a senior captain.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Also qualifications to enter vary between flight schools, but most of them just ask for 5 gcses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.04%
I'm not sure (14)
3.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
34.04%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (173)
45.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise