Lol83
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im conflicted about whether to take IB or a level. If I take a-level I would take History, Economics and Politics. If I take IB I would take English Lit (SL), Astronomy (SL), Mandarin (SL), Maths applications (HL), History (HL), Philosophy(HL).

Which one will be harder?
Advertisement
Joy30
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lol83)
Im conflicted about whether to take IB or a level. If I take a-level I would take History, Economics and Politics. If I take IB I would take English Lit (SL), Astronomy (SL), Mandarin (SL), Maths applications (HL), History (HL), Philosophy(HL).

Which one will be harder?
In my opinion as an ex IB student, I think it's a lot harder than A levels. There are a lot more subjects to study plus Tok and Cas to complete with less free periods. I did history HL and no one got a level 7 in my class although it'll depend on how good your school is at teaching it. Maths HL is also meant to be one of the hardest subjects. However, you do become a much more well-rounded student and universities value the IB, or at least did for me.

Obviously can't comment on A levels but if you know what you what to study at university and it requires history, economics and politics, I'd say do A levels. If you're not sure and don't mind putting in the work, do the IB.
Lol83
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joy30)
In my opinion as an ex IB student, I think it's a lot harder than A levels. There are a lot more subjects to study plus Tok and Cas to complete with less free periods. I did history HL and no one got a level 7 in my class although it'll depend on how good your school is at teaching it. Maths HL is also meant to be one of the hardest subjects. However, you do become a much more well-rounded student and universities value the IB, or at least did for me.

Obviously can't comment on A levels but if you know what you what to study at university and it requires history, economics and politics, I'd say do A levels. If you're not sure and don't mind putting in the work, do the IB.
would it be better if I swapped English Lit to HL and maths SL?
Advertisement
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there! From what I've heard, the IB and A Levels are very different in terms of both subject selection and assessment methods. The IB have both internal assessments (IAs) and externals, which combine to give a final grade (1-7). You take six subjects from a variety of categories TOK, EE and CAS, whereas for A levels, you'd just have three subjects. Therefore, the IB requires you to have quite a well-rounded ability as you need to take maths, english, a humanities subject, a science subject and a second language while A levels allow you to hone in on your individual strengths. From your A level choices, it looks as though you're very interested in the human sciences/humanities area. Is that area what you're planning on studying at uni? If so, A levels might be better for you as you're focussing solely on those subjects and don't have to worry about languages and maths, which might not be so relevant for your future degree.Regarding individual IB subject choices, English Lit SL is fairly straightforward, I don't know anything about astronomy, mandarin B is supposed to be quite difficult (I take French B and find it quite hard), but there is always Ab Initio if you struggle with B. History is quite hard to score well in I think and maths applications has never been examined before and is quite unlike the previous course available so I can't really comment on.As you have probably gathered from my response, I take IB (HL Chem, bio, English Lit, SL maths, French B, Econ) and I don't regret my decision at all as I have found the IB really stimulating. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to message me.
Lol83
Rep:
?
(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
Hi there! From what I've heard, the IB and A Levels are very different in terms of both subject selection and assessment methods. The IB have both internal assessments (IAs) and externals, which combine to give a final grade (1-7). You take six subjects from a variety of categories TOK, EE and CAS, whereas for A levels, you'd just have three subjects. Therefore, the IB requires you to have quite a well-rounded ability as you need to take maths, english, a humanities subject, a science subject and a second language while A levels allow you to hone in on your individual strengths. From your A level choices, it looks as though you're very interested in the human sciences/humanities area. Is that area what you're planning on studying at uni? If so, A levels might be better for you as you're focussing solely on those subjects and don't have to worry about languages and maths, which might not be so relevant for your future degree.Regarding individual IB subject choices, English Lit SL is fairly straightforward, I don't know anything about astronomy, mandarin B is supposed to be quite difficult (I take French B and find it quite hard), but there is always Ab Initio if you struggle with B. History is quite hard to score well in I think and maths applications has never been examined before and is quite unlike the previous course available so I can't really comment on.As you have probably gathered from my response, I take IB (HL Chem, bio, English Lit, SL maths, French B, Econ) and I don't regret my decision at all as I have found the IB really stimulating. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to message me.
Hi thank you for replying. I sort of want to take law in uni but I'm not sure yet. What I know is that I don't think I will be taking a degree that requires maths or science. Their isn't a lot of a level options at the sixth form I'm applying to that really appeal to me. Ideally I would like to take History, Philosophy and Economics for A level, however they only offer philosophy to ib students. As for the IB subjects, I think mandarin will be ok because im fluent, however they only offer SL. They also only offer SL for astronomy. Therefore I can only choose one more SL subject and 3 HL. Which combination do you think would be the easiest?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (0)
0%
No (3)
100%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed