The Student Room Group

PAT Test?

Hey all,

My uni (Aber) has a section under their new student handbook for PAT testing electrical appliances; but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with them checking to see if your electricals are all tested?
I'm really on the fence about bringing my PC with me and monitor because trying to haul them to a PAT testing centre will be a pain; and their roadshow is only in January, which would still require me to haul it to a centre...
Reply 1
My college have tech support that do it for free, which is nice
They say this under every university check list. Honestly, you shouldn't need to get anything tested unless it's old or from outside the EU then it's probably a good idea to!

The health and safety executive website is fairly informative - https://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm Most things can be see visually if something's not ok and new things shouldn't need to be tested!

A great quote from their website to the question "is PAT testing compulsory":
The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often. Employers should take a risk-based approach, considering the type of equipment and what it is being used for. If it is used regularly and moved a lot e.g. a floor cleaner or a kettle, testing (along with visual checks) can be an important part of an effective maintenance regime giving employers confidence that they are doing what is necessary to help them meet their legal duties. HSE provides guidance on how to maintain equipment including the use of PAT.
We were meant to do it in the first couple of weeks or so, they had a station set up for a few days so people could drop in with their stuff. I think everyone went over and just took little things like phone chargers and laptops to show they’d done it and left the TVs and consoles and stuff in their room. :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest