Fe.Haiii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hey, I'm a student in Uk thinking about going into optometry (perhaps later on working in Specsavers) but I have mixed feelings. I've heard the pay is okay however many ppl say to just study dentistry/pharmacy instead. I'm honestly just confused whether this career is for me or to choose another science route. if anyone with experience as an optometrist, working in specs or is studying it, can tell me if it's good/worth studying it would be much appreciated. Thank you!! (p.s I am interested in studying it before anyone tells me to just choose what I love but I just need to know if it's worth it ahaha)
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s alright but it’s very stressful and retail orientated. You do have the patient aspect of it but you’re expected to meet targets and convert people to specs/contacts. It can be very stressful.
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ahahahahh zon't.. zon't zo it.

Maybe bhadbhabie can offer some insight?
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fermion.)
It’s alright but it’s very stressful and retail orientated. You do have the patient aspect of it but you’re expected to meet targets and convert people to specs/contacts. It can be very stressful.
thanks for ur reply! if you don't mind me did you study it at uni? if so how was ur experience?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can’t offer insight on optometry but I can advise you not to choose dentistry on a whim. Choose it if you’ve done work experience and you have a genuine interest, but don’t choose it based on career prospects or salary - for your sake.
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Ahahahahh zon't.. zon't zo it.

Maybe bhadbhabie can offer some insight?
hey! im confused on what you mean to not do it ahah
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Fe.Haiii)
hey, I'm a student in Uk thinking about going into optometry (perhaps later on working in Specsavers) but I have mixed feelings. I've heard the pay is okay however many ppl say to just study dentistry/pharmacy instead. I'm honestly just confused whether this career is for me or to choose another science route. if anyone with experience as an optometrist, working in specs or is studying it, can tell me if it's good/worth studying it would be much appreciated. Thank you!! (p.s I am interested in studying it before anyone tells me to just choose what I love but I just need to know if it's worth it ahaha)
I'm curious about this too
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I can’t offer insight on optometry but I can advise you not to choose dentistry on a whim. Choose it if you’ve done work experience and you have a genuine interest, but don’t choose it based on career prospects or salary - for your sake.
hey thanks for ur response, if you don't mind me asking have u studied dentistry, and yes I'm hoping to do some work experience soon
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by KelsieTaylor)
I'm curious about this too
ahaha same, i don't have anyone ik that has studied it so I'm just confused because i read this post on why u shouldn't study opt and it just ruined my perspective lmao
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey thanks for ur response, if you don't mind me asking have u studied dentistry, and yes I'm hoping to do some work experience soon
Yes I’m a dental student
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ahaha same, i don't have anyone ik that has studied it so I'm just confused because i read this post on why u shouldn't study opt and it just ruined my perspective lmao
I know someone who has just finished her degree in optometry, and she seems to like it, but I want to see some other perspectives
Sakiudns
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
omg i wana study it too and yesss its amazing from what i have heard although people say apprentichsips may be introduced for iptom
im looking at manchester and bradford ahah wbu
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thanks for ur reply! if you don't mind me did you study it at uni? if so how was ur experience?
No, I work as a lab technician at an opticians and I’ve seen first hand the stress opticians experience with regards to targets. It’s also quite repetitive but if you don’t mind that then go for it.
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sakiudns)
omg i wana study it too and yesss its amazing from what i have heard although people say apprentichsips may be introduced for iptom
im looking at manchester and bradford ahah wbu
hey! Im not really sure on unis to choose because so many unis don't even offer Optom ;(
user454346y543r
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
was it the post where the person sas THESE ARE THE REASONS ON WHY U SHOULD NOT STUDY OPTOMETRY
if so dont listen
Fe.Haiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by user454346y543r)
was it the post where the person sas THESE ARE THE REASONS ON WHY U SHOULD NOT STUDY OPTOMETRY
if so dont listen
yeah it was
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed