The Student Room Group

Diary of a Gym Addict (Year 11 GYG for 2020-21)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by X.243llie
hockey is great for one reason you can whack everyone you hate the most as hard as you caj around the feet and legs and not get in trouble

Yes yes yes, when I was learning how to ‘hit’ a ball (a hit is more complicated then it’s sounds it’s when you hit the ball very hard and fast) my coach always told me to imagine it was the teacher I hated the most at school :lol: I have also annoyed many players in the past for sneakily hitting them or tripping them up - yet not got in trouble for it because of the way i did it.....
Quick Update post to say I'm annoyed at my Further Maths Paper.

No proper reason, but it's currently in time out and I have rescinded its privilege of being my favourite discipline of maths. I don't like trigonometric identities. :banghead:
Original post by mel1morley
Quick Update post to say I'm annoyed at my Further Maths Paper.

No proper reason, but it's currently in time out and I have rescinded its privilege of being my favourite discipline of maths. I don't like trigonometric identities. :banghead:

Further maths can get annoying :frown: Do worry too much, you have 10 months to develop skills that you don’t currently know, which will make the paper sooo much easier :redface: Is there anything you need help with?
Original post by Becca216
Further maths can get annoying :frown: Do worry too much, you have 10 months to develop skills that you don’t currently know, which will make the paper sooo much easier :redface: Is there anything you need help with?

Yeah, hopefully after more lessons most of the skills will come as naturally as they do for normal maths.

Any tips you can think of to remember exact trig values? These are currently the bane of my existence. :grumble::dontknow:
Yeah, hopefully after more lessons most of the skills will come as naturally as they do for normal maths.

Any tips you can think of to remember exact trig values? These are currently the bane of my existence. :grumble::dontknow:

I know some people use a kind of hand trick thing - I’ll see if I can find a video of it.

I mean tbh at alevel in both maths and further maths you don’t have any non calculator papers so don’t really need to know them, plus I guess you just get to know them after a while.
This is one of the videos I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGfp9PKdXM

I personally didn’t use this (I just tried to cram them in my head) but I know some people who used this and found it useful :smile:
Original post by Becca216
This is one of the videos I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGfp9PKdXM

I personally didn’t use this (I just tried to cram them in my head) but I know some people who used this and found it useful :smile:

Thank you for this! :shakehand:
3/9/20 (Thu)
Weeks into year 11:
Going to say 0 as we literally only have 2 days in school this week...:bebored:

Back into school today! Was not to bad except for the day being changed so that I now have 1 lesson of 1h 15m and another of only 45 minutes (with the rest an hour long) and the blooming one-way system in place, which had managed to p!ss me off while going to my first official lesson. Oh well, think of all the steps you'll be getting Mel, there's a bright side to everything! The bus was crowded and the year 7s needed putting in their place but that's nothing new really...
Not so strong on the revision game this week, but got everything that needed doing done, however laborious that was. :sigh: (p.s. is laborious spelt with the US spelling of labour because labourious doesn't seem right and Grammarly is having a fit about it?)

Stuff that has been done since last time:
- Chemistry and Physics Consolidation papers, no stress here, covering topics we've already had drilled into us (funny because the chem topic was crude oil) even pre-lockdown and turned out we re-did the same paper in Chemistry today so obviously barely anyone actually did the summer work - easy 15/15 for me though so it's fine.
- 2014 Further Maths Paper, which really twisted me the wrong way. I didn't like that paper at all - also are all (edexcel) further maths papers non-calculator as the ones I've done (AQA) so far, although quite old, have all seemed to have been which hasn't been helpful at all. :confused:

and that's all I did last week, nothing outside of what was necessary. Hopefully this attitude won't follow me into the new school year, but I definitely felt deserving of a week off in order to dive back in this week and beyond. :pika:

What I would like to do this week (outside homework and spontaneous revision ideas I can come up with):
- More Cold War Revision (moving on to going over crime and punishment in class again as we last covered this in year 9)
- French vocab book work
- Potentially some work form the A-Level Textbook

Anyway, hope anyone who is going back into school this week (or next) has a good time, or as good as possible considering the circumstances! :console:

love,
Mel x

Hey, have you learnt these triangles attached? If you can remember these two, then you can derive any exact values you need (you can use the addition formulae for other values also - idk what you learn in further maths gcse I'm afraid)
3/9/20 (Thu)
Weeks into year 11:
Going to say 0 as we literally only have 2 days in school this week...:bebored:

Back into school today! Was not to bad except for the day being changed so that I now have 1 lesson of 1h 15m and another of only 45 minutes (with the rest an hour long) and the blooming one-way system in place, which had managed to p!ss me off while going to my first official lesson. Oh well, think of all the steps you'll be getting Mel, there's a bright side to everything! The bus was crowded and the year 7s needed putting in their place but that's nothing new really...
Not so strong on the revision game this week, but got everything that needed doing done, however laborious that was. :sigh: (p.s. is laborious spelt with the US spelling of labour because labourious doesn't seem right and Grammarly is having a fit about it?)

Stuff that has been done since last time:
- Chemistry and Physics Consolidation papers, no stress here, covering topics we've already had drilled into us (funny because the chem topic was crude oil) even pre-lockdown and turned out we re-did the same paper in Chemistry today so obviously barely anyone actually did the summer work - easy 15/15 for me though so it's fine.
- 2014 Further Maths Paper, which really twisted me the wrong way. I didn't like that paper at all - also are all (edexcel) further maths papers non-calculator as the ones I've done (AQA) so far, although quite old, have all seemed to have been which hasn't been helpful at all. :confused:

and that's all I did last week, nothing outside of what was necessary. Hopefully this attitude won't follow me into the new school year, but I definitely felt deserving of a week off in order to dive back in this week and beyond. :pika:

What I would like to do this week (outside homework and spontaneous revision ideas I can come up with):
- More Cold War Revision (moving on to going over crime and punishment in class again as we last covered this in year 9)
- French vocab book work
- Potentially some work form the A-Level Textbook

Anyway, hope anyone who is going back into school this week (or next) has a good time, or as good as possible considering the circumstances! :console:

love,
Mel x

I did the old Further Maths GCSE spec (back when it was A*-U) and there was 1 calc and 1 non-calc, if I remember correctly the calc paper was the longer one.

Its good to ease yourself back in so don't worry too much about doing loads of work in the first few weeks back :hugs:
9/9/20 (Weds)
Weeks into year 11: 1

Officially 1 week into school! (feels about 3 months already though :puppyeyes:)
Let's cut to the chase:

Work that was done this week:
- Quadratic Inequalities (homework), no real struggle with this, only issues stemming from me rushing through and forgetting to add an 'or equal to' sign to the inequalities. Pretty routine and only took around 20 mins in total.
- Biology research on how pathogens make us ill, Biology seems to be the only subject I have any motivation to be revising for at this stage of the year
- (kinda not revision) preparation for a creative writing assessment taken yesterday, in which I'm sure I took a confusing and unnecessary tangent - but who knows, it could land me bonus structure marks :shy2:)
- Preparing excess revision resources such as learning checklists now before work becomes a hassle for subjects, using the specification which is fairly time-consuming, but I find them pretty helpful:fyi:

I've invested in an actual academic planner for the forthcoming year as the ones the school provide are what I would describe as a step below basic. I think having a planner that I actually have some pride in should boost me to actually use and take care of it this year, and hopefully be 100% on top of assessments/homework/revision etc. - this may be wishful thinking but every little helps I guess??

Outside of school, I played in my first football match of the season (albeit a friendly) this weekend, in which we won and I kept a clean sheet! (didn't concede any goals)

No real revision targets for this/next week, just to try and do some balanced revision, rather than picking and choosing which subject I fancy doing when, generally at 4pm, tired from a day at school so likely to be subjects I'm more comfortable with...

With love,
Mel x :elefant:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending