The Student Room Group

A levels resit and dentistry

Please can someone post the list of Universities that allow applications from candidates who retake A levels. My current situation is:
3 GCSEs A*- Bio, Physics,Chem
1 GCSE- A - Maths
1 GCSE- A English Language
rest B-C
A levels - BBC Bio,Maths, Chem

I want to re-take Chem in Autumn 2020 and the other two in Summer 2021.
I read in some posts that all three have to be taken together to be considered as valid retakes.
Some others have mentioned here that taking exams in 2021 would mean 'RESITS'
A couple of universities mention on their websites that resits are allowed only in exceptional circumstances and that the student should have scored at least AAB in the first attempt. (mine will be BBC)

I would really value some guidance
Thanks !
Reply 1
hello!
im in the same exact situation as you with the same grades lol, except im applying for medicine. im sitting the UCAT this September so haven't had much time to revise for my a levels but I too was thinking of sitting chemistry in autumn and the others in summer. I have emailed Bristol, Sheffield and Exeter asking about my situation and here's what they basically said:
-bristol are open to resits, doesn't matter what your initial grades were
-sheffield dont count autumn exams as resits, just the summer ones (im pretty sure they had no clue what I was on about tho). they also dont care what you got the first time
-exeter dont care when you do them or what you initially got, they dont discriminate against resits in any kind of way
all in all, I dont think it matters when you sit them or if you sit them at different times as long as you get the grades in the end. im still conflicted about when to sit mine as my UCAT is taking up a lot of precious revision time off my a levels so it may be wisest to sit them all in summer. if you feel however that you can sit chemistry in autumn and are confident you'd get an A then go for it! I suggest ringing up some unis and explaining your situation since they could take some time to get back to you through email.
I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks. I am trying to revise chemistry and at the same time plan to prepare for UCAT. A big ask !
Reply 3
Original post by Nik2904
Thanks. I am trying to revise chemistry and at the same time plan to prepare for UCAT. A big ask !

I'v must found out Sheffield want you to sit all exams in one sitting or one exam season rather than two. so if you're looking to apply there I recommend you don't sit chemistry this autumn and just focus on your ucat ! I'm going to sit all 3 a levels this summer :smile:
Hey if you don’t mind me asking, have you gotten any offers since?im thinking of resitting for dentistry if this year doesn’t work out too..
Reply 5
Original post by Gumballfan
Hey if you don’t mind me asking, have you gotten any offers since?im thinking of resitting for dentistry if this year doesn’t work out too..

Yes two offers
Original post by Nik2904
Yes two offers

Hi I'm thinking of retaking chemistry in autumn and bio and maths in summer, I got ccc but my heart is really set on dentistry! I got 10 A* and 1 A at gcse but some circumstances hindered my performance at a level may you please say which unis you applied to and the whole process you went through and how you managed to get interviewed even though you did not meet the entry requirements? Did you have predicted grades along sides the cags? Can I please ask how the autumn exam went for you? I really need all the help I can get rn my friends and family are adviving me to do biomed and then apply for grd dent
Original post by Mariam.mussa
Hi I'm thinking of retaking chemistry in autumn and bio and maths in summer, I got ccc but my heart is really set on dentistry! I got 10 A* and 1 A at gcse but some circumstances hindered my performance at a level may you please say which unis you applied to and the whole process you went through and how you managed to get interviewed even though you did not meet the entry requirements? Did you have predicted grades along sides the cags? Can I please ask how the autumn exam went for you? I really need all the help I can get rn my friends and family are adviving me to do biomed and then apply for grd dent

Hi,
I am in very similar situation to you right now. I do not what to do?
Should I resit? Or get a degree then apply for graduate dentistry? Or apply through foundation year!

Could you tell me what you did please?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest