Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Because of all of the good things I've heard about UCL, with its worldwide rank and reputation, I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on my potential by going to Manchester instead, when I could have just as easily gone to UCL.

I know this is kind of dumb because Manchester is still a world class university, but I'm starting to feel worried that going to Manchester University will lead to me missing out on my potential, a potential that I could have fulfilled by going to UCL, even though the difference in quality between the unis isn't all that great.

I'm taking Maths and Computer Science, btw
Anonymous #1
Bump
bunnyc-p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Before I went to uni I felt like this - had I made the right choice etc. The truth is that you can make your own experience at uni, wherever you go. I was set on one (v highly ranked uni) uni but ended up going to a completely different one (good but not as highly ranked), and I'm so happy I did. I think employers care more about your eventual degree classification, instead of the uni rankings of where you go (which will change all the time). I presume you chose Manchester because you liked the course, or at least liked it in some way? As long as you like the course, you can choose what you want to do with it if that makes sense. Going to uni is a big thing, it's natural to have second thoughts. Even if the worst comes to the worst and you hate Manchester, you can always transfer or defer. Best of luck!!x
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You must have picked Manchester for a reason and UCL has cons to it. Living in London is very expensive and UCL does not have great student satisfaction ratings. You are overthinking this. Go back and drill down into the course modules for both. See which appeals. Also do you want to take a gap year with no guarantee UCL will take you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Scotney)
Also do you want to take a gap year with no guarantee UCL will take you?
I was thinking I could transfer after the first year, but maybe I'm just overthinking because of the scale of the decision
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Because of all of the good things I've heard about UCL, with its worldwide rank and reputation, I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on my potential by going to Manchester instead, when I could have just as easily gone to UCL.

I know this is kind of dumb because Manchester is still a world class university, but I'm starting to feel worried that going to Manchester University will lead to me missing out on my potential, a potential that I could have fulfilled by going to UCL, even though the difference in quality between the unis isn't all that great.

Manchester is good for Maths & CS. Go there, do well, and enjoy the North. You'll save a fortune on accommodation, and get decent fish 'n' chips
dxnixl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
im a manchester gal dont hate me 🤚

but seriously im from manchester, dont hate me
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Yes, having nearly finished my Bachelor's I agree on advice to simply focus on the course content and atmosphere. Where, both can be affected by your will.

A lot of the time, the teaching quality does not reflect the university rankings due to their high research quality/output. UCL for other departments have been known to have lecturers forced to teach, therefore subpar teaching.

Note on applying to Masters, a 2:1 from an easier uni (lower ranked), to give you the minimum to apply, is better than a 2:2 from more difficult unis like top 5s, meaning you can't apply. Scary stories of people transferring and regretting.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As far as 'brand image' goes its mostly irrelevant for 99% of students and what they chose to do afterwards. It's your grade and EC's employers will pay attention to. Especially when the universities are both ranking like Manchester and UCL.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Isn't important, don't worry about it. No point wasting energy on that sort of thing.
jwavez
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What I will say is if you wound up at Manchester, you will still have several opportunities to make the most of your experience. In a few year's time, what you will remember are the memories you made with your mates, the experiences you had in your community - and in the end, that's all that matters. As far as jobs are concerned, your potential, skills, and ambition to make a difference in the workplace will elevate you nonetheless. So don't worry too much about not being able to go to UCL at this point in time.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a UCL alumni, I will be the first to say it's overrated. You chose Manchester for a reason and this time next year you'll have forgotten these worries anyway.
Soph58
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there I’m in the same situation, was rejected from UCL and am waiting to hear back from Manchester after being rejected from clearing . I don’t know whether to take a year out and apply for UCL or try for Manchester. It feels disheartening know that I could have gone to UCL this year if I had sat the exams but that’s in the past. You can’t be mad/annoyed with yourself because of a global pandemic. So if you get into Manchester go there. Regardless you’ll get the city vibe from both unis but you’ll be saving a bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (925)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads