dejareanne123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My goal is to study Medicine at University, and after much thought, I decided that doing the IB diploma as oppose to doing A levels would be a much better fit for me, as I am a very well rounded person with interests in the humanities and languages as well as in the sciences. I am, however, struggling to decide between the two HL subjects in the title, along with HL Bio and Chem which are requisites for Medicine. My SL subjects are Maths and Econ just for reference. I think i am leaning a lot more towards English because I think i will enjoy the course more, however, things I've read on the internet have put me off. As someone who wants to get into Medical School, having at least 666 at HL is a must, so to read that English HL is difficult to get a top grade in is incredibly disheartening. I love the Spanish language but the teaching in my school isn't great and they give us so much work that I'm not too sure if I'll even be able to balance it. I have 9's in both at GCSE btw but definitely enjoyed English more as a course. Getting the top grade is what is ultimately important to me, as much as i hate to say it. What is your advice?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If your dream is to stand the best chance of getting appropriate grades for Medicine, then I'd strongly encourage you to do A levels instead. They're much simpler to do well on.

As for Medical schools, they don't find IB more impressive than A levels. IB and A levels are simply different systems, with one being more complicated than the other. Doing the more complicated one isn't considered 'better'.

Just do A level Bio + Chem + 1 other subject you think you'll get the best grade in. You'll also have to focus on your personal statement, securing work experience if you haven't done so already, doing competency tests like UKCAT, doing university interviews and more.

It doesn't matter if you're well rounded or not; there's hardly any point in potentially jeopardising your dreams by taking a risk that has absolutely no major gain.

Sorry for not providing an answer to your original question. Best of luck in whatever you decide to go with. :hat2:
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
dejareanne123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
If your dream is to stand the best chance of getting appropriate grades for Medicine, then I'd strongly encourage you to do A levels instead. They're much simpler to do well on.

As for Medical schools, they don't find IB more impressive than A levels. IB and A levels are simply different systems, with one being more complicated than the other. Doing the more complicated one isn't considered 'better'.

Just do A level Bio + Chem + 1 other subject you think you'll get the best grade in. You'll also have to focus on your personal statement, securing work experience if you haven't done so already, doing competency tests like UKCAT, doing university interviews and more.

It doesn't matter if you're well rounded or not; there's hardly any point in potentially jeopardising your dreams by taking a risk that has absolutely no major gain.

Sorry for not providing an answer to your original question. Best of luck in whatever you decide to go with. :hat2:
Hi,

Thanks so much for taking time to give me an answer - I really appreciate it!

While I definitely agree that taking A-Levels would be the easier/simpler route, I have never been one to do this. In all honesty, I chose this route to begin with, and months down the line I am not fully satisfied. Why? Because becoming the best learner possible and developing the most crucial skills over the next two years is way more important to me than 'making life simpler'. I want to learn new things, take on new subjects and juggle things unrelated to the degree and job I'm possibly going to spend the rest of my life doing! The English school system is so focused on just getting the grades needed for the course you want to do at Uni, but I want so much more than that. Granted, I may not be saying this a few months down the line, however, I am only 16 years old & I am a keen learner who has every interest in continuing to develop her skills and knowledge in every aspect. I have put soooo much thought into it, trust me! I'm a firm believer in the idea that things happen for a reason, and a few things in my life have pointed to this decision.

I am also a girl of faith, and I believe that my destiny is already set in stone. What's meant for me will be mine eventually, so I don't need to worry about whether the path I'm taking is the right one. I just need to make a decision, and trust that whatever is meant for me will ultimately be mine :-)

Thank you so much for trying to help, however, I see no point in getting into Medical School if I lack the skills needed to stay there and flourish, aswell as if I'm not the best possible version of me. This is just my personal opinion x
dejareanne123
Rep:
?
(Original post by jonlamking)
I would like to reiterate Quick-use's words, and strongly encourage you to consider doing up to 6 A-Levels as you wish instead of the IB.

All the best.
Can I ask why you would suggest me do 6 FULL A LEVELS than pursue the IB???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (1)
4.35%
No (22)
95.65%

Watched Threads