Help me I’m skinny ish 67kg 181cm but a bit of belly
Blueclueless
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nnahahahah)
Defiantly do more then just sit ups- crunches and press ups will help too as well as a few others
Nnahahahah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How many sit ups?
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Add pushups daily, as much as you can and you should get that in two years.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Idk why people are recommending press ups lol. OP should work in the 8-20 rep range and make sure to progressively overload the exercises.

(Original post by PTMalewski)
Add pushups daily, as much as you can and you should get that in two years.
(Original post by Blueclueless)
Defiantly do more then just sit ups- crunches and press ups will help too as well as a few others
Bexjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Abs are made in the kitchen and all about diet. You can do as many sit ups and crunches as you want, it won’t give you abs. Your body fat % has to be low enough for your abs to show. Don’t neglect your workouts but you certainly need to focus on your diet and dropping body fat to get the visible abs.
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
So I shouldn’t join gym
Blueclueless
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Idk why people are recommending press ups lol. OP should work in the 8-20 rep range and make sure to progressively overload the exercises.
It’s more about a balanced workout then the abs themselves
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
It’s more about a balanced workout then the abs themselves
Fair enough, OP would also have to work the posterior side of his/her body and his/her legs too.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
High Intensity Workouts. Lots of situps, crunches, upside down bicycles, planks, press-ups, squats, and hill sprints.

Will build the muscle & burn the fat.

And diet. Don't eat sh!t.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
[quote=Dax_Swagg3r;90660488]Idk why people are recommending press ups lol.

Learn how muscles work and how human muscle structure is built, and then you'll maybe undestand.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)Idk why people are recommending press ups lol.

Learn how muscles work and how human muscle structure is built, and then you'll maybe undestand.
Explain how press ups will build your abs when your deltoids, triceps and chests are the limiting factors. Nobody fails press ups bc their abs not strong enough.
Nnahahahah
Rep:
?
Do I need to get a PT and join gym?
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Explain how press ups will build your abs when your deltoids, triceps and chests are the limiting factors.
Simply all muscles of stomach have to work while doing pushups, there's whole body to carry and it's a different type of movement.
Sit ups are important, but you need to do also other excercises of stomach muscles, including push ups. Then you should excercise your back a lot too, if you don't want to walk like a monkey.

Nobody fails press ups bc their abs not strong enough.
And having visible muscles all around doesn't make you strong. Partly because the size might be coming also from inflammation caused be bad training. Partly because hardly ever people at gym excercise all muscles equally and properly. I've seen those amateur culturists competing against retired coal miners. The gym guys looked great (except for most of them had monkey-like posture because they didn't excercise their back and enlarged, possibly also inflammated muscles of stomach and chest were bending them forward. Miners looked poorly, only except they were big relatively to their height, they had fat here and there and they totally destroyed gym guys in strenght competitions.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Simply all muscles of stomach have to work while doing pushups, there's whole body to carry and it's a different type of movement.
Sit ups are important, but you need to do also other excercises of stomach muscles, including push ups. Then you should excercise your back a lot too, if you don't want to walk like a monkey.

And having visible muscles all around doesn't make you strong. Partly because the size might be coming also from inflammation caused be bad training. Partly because hardly ever people at gym excercise all muscles equally and properly. I've seen those amateur culturists competing against retired coal miners. The gym guys looked great (except for most of them had monkey-like posture because they didn't excercise their back and enlarged, possibly also inflammated muscles of stomach and chest were bending them forward. Miners looked poorly, only except they were big relatively to their height, they had fat here and there and they totally destroyed gym guys in strenght competitions.
Okay, sure your abs are extremely isometrically activated in a push up but your not gonna fail pushups bc of weak abs. If you want an isometric hold type exercise for the ab you would recommend a plank bc it isolates the abs effectively and no other muscle could be the limiting factor.

Your second point is irrelevant, firstly exercises don't inflame the muscles to make them permanently bigger, that is unheard of and also nobody's dream body is that of a coal miner. Also, I am sure the gym guys would be able to beat the coal miners in most exercises except those with the mechanics similar to a deadlift.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, sure your abs are extremely isometrically activated in a push up but your not gonna fail pushups bc of weak abs. If you want an isometric hold type exercise for the ab you would recommend a plank bc it isolates the abs effectively and no other muscle could be the limiting factor.
So you suggest that one should train to have a weak body with a few features which are trendy for a moment. (From what I've obserced, right now guys want to have ABS on a stomach that bulky they look like they're pregnant)
It's silly to train a very particular group of muscles while ignoring others. There is a certain limit of excercise muscles can take, training just one group is a waste of time, as it enlarges one structure, remaining you weak everywhere else. Not to mention if you have some unnecessary fat, you'll get rid of it quicker excercising all muscles.

Your second point is irrelevant, firstly exercises don't inflame the muscles to make them permanently bigger.
Inflammation might take a year to recover from, and you can very well damage muscles, even permanently, if you overload muscles with wrong rouitnes. Even you don't damage muscles, there's a good chance of damaging tendons. And you don't really recover from that. Every injury, even recovered, leaves it weaker and more likely to be damaged again. I know what I'm saying, I caught injuries both from gym, and extensive piano training with faulty technique. Took me more than a year get full control over my right hand again. And it still pains years after in certain positions when stress is put to it, and gets easily injured if any mistake is done. All thanks to incompetent teachers and trainers.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 4 weeks ago
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So you suggest that one should train to have a weak body with a few features which are trendy for a moment. (From what I've obserced, right now guys want to have ABS on a stomach that bulky they look like they're pregnant)
It's silly to train a very particular group of muscles while ignoring others. There is a certain limit of excercise muscles can take, training just one group is a waste of time, as it enlarges one structure, remaining you weak everywhere else. Not to mention if you have some unnecessary fat, you'll get rid of it quicker excercising all muscles.

Inflammation might take a year to recover from, and you can very well damage muscles, even permanently, if you overload muscles with wrong rouitnes. Even you don't damage muscles, there's a good chance of damaging tendons. And you don't really recover from that. Every injury, even recovered, leaves it weaker and more likely to be damaged again. I know what I'm saying, I caught injuries both from gym, and extensive piano training with faulty technique. Took me more than a year get full control over my right hand again. And it still pains years after in certain positions when stress is put to it, and gets easily injured if any mistake is done. All thanks to incompetent teachers and trainers.
No I don't suggest that, your creating a strawman argument here. OP wants abs, you recommend pushups which don't build abs and I call you out on that. Okay show me proof that bad exercises cause inflammation which enlarges the muscles for up to a year.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You’re kind of putting words in Dax_Swagg3r ‘s mouth. He didn’t say those things. You’re twisting it to suit your narrative. Also, push ups would be a pretty bad exercise choice if you’re as obsessed with maximal strength as you seem to be. Planks are actually arguably more suited to this, ironically.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. I do those anyway and I have a bit of a belly going. I have been training in a 10kg weighted vest. You could try doing some core with additional weights? Or do normal training with a weighted best?
Last edited by boulderingislife; 4 weeks ago
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes you can.
The sit ups will help you achieve abs at a higher body fat level.
Visible abs is all about diet though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
23.04%
No (157)
76.96%

Watched Threads