The Student Room Group

Should I study a Part-time Master Degree?

HI! I have recently just completed my Bachelor Degree and received an offer from a top 10 world University to study Master in Marketing, but it will be two years (Part-time and Online) and I hope to start up my own business in these two years or to search for a part-time job.

However, I am unsure whether I will be able to obtain a part-time job whilst studying this part-time degree. I have always wanted to pursue a master degree if I defer the entry I am afraid that I may not be able to receive an offer next year. I am very lost whether I should accept the offer or not, and whether a Part-Time degree is devalued in comparison to the Full-time degree when searching for jobs?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
HI! I have recently just completed my Bachelor Degree and received an offer from a top 10 world University to study Master in Marketing, but it will be two years (Part-time and Online) and I hope to start up my own business in these two years or to search for a part-time job.
However, I am unsure whether I will be able to obtain a part-time job whilst studying this part-time degree. I have always wanted to pursue a master degree if I defer the entry I am afraid that I may not be able to receive an offer next year. I am very lost whether I should accept the offer or not, and whether a Part-Time degree is devalued in comparison to the Full-time degree when searching for jobs?
Hi, part-time degrees are valued to employers as much as full-time degrees. It shows you can manage your time effectively and can juggle studying and working at the same time. I would definitely recommend taking the part-time course this year if you can. I hope this helps, good luck!
As above, part time degrees aren't devalued compared to full time degrees, after all you complete the exact same content in pretty much the same way, and you'll usually be doing something else on the side. The losses would come due to less interactions with the cohort and so you don't get the same networking advantages, but equally you can turn this into a plus by networking with both full time cohorts across your degree, and this is less of a concern compared to an MBA anyway.

The obtaining work part is a valid concern given the current and potential future climate. If you're relying on it then it may be somewhat risky, but if it just helps make things easier then you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending