The Student Room Group

Making Sixth Form A Walk In The Park! - (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

good luck! i got very similar gcses (999999888) and am applying to med next year! have you started bmat/ucat prep? also, 5 a levels!!!!! (yikes, could never be me lmao, i mean epq isn't really a whole a level but still)
What course you thinking to apply for! :wink:
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth
good luck! i got very similar gcses (999999888) and am applying to med next year! have you started bmat/ucat prep? also, 5 a levels!!!!! (yikes, could never be me lmao, i mean epq isn't really a whole a level but still)

Amazing GCSEs!!! Well done, Im sure your hard work paid off:smile:
Yh 4 and 1/2 Alevels are pretty hard, Im basically studying(+procrastinating) all day lol.
I haven't started yet but I'm gonna order a 400 questions bmat book tomorrow, I think. What about you? Are u doing anything for med rn? My sixth form cancelled all clubs and extracurriculars cuz of corona:angry:. Also, I've just been pretty busy with Alevels for the past couple weeks... so i didnt have time for anything else
Original post by zoey101xo
What course you thinking to apply for! :wink:

Medicine:colone:What about u?
Life Update coming soon guys!! Im sorry I havent been active for the past couple of weeks:colonhash:
Same im applying for medicine but I'm in my final year in the sixth form
Original post by zoey101xo
Same im applying for medicine but I'm in my final year in the sixth form

Good Luck!!!! Do u have any tips for me cuz I'm so nervous...
LIFE UPDATE!!!

Hey guys, sooooo... The last couple of weeks have probably been the busiest weeks of my life:awesome:I started a new sixth form which is really competitive and even though I was anticipating that it would take me some time to adjust to the changes, I settled in pretty quick:tongue:. However, I didnt know that we would receive so much homework. Although it’s honestly amazing that our teachers support us so much, for the first week I found it quite difficult to form a study schedule as I had to juggle homework and school work:s-smilie:. However, my second week was much more organised so I got to do much more work:biggrin:

Moreover, I’m doing an EPQ now!!! I still haven’t chosen a topic yet but it will definitely be something to do with the future advancements of medical imaging. I am a bit anxious that others might choose this topic too, but I’m going to make it unique!!
Soo.... As for my subjects, we have 2 teachers each and they’ve split the topics that they’re teaching which actually makes it quite interesting as we’re learning so many different topics in a week.
I’m still really anxious that I can’t find work experience and its killing meeee. However, I’m gonna ask a care home and my areas library today if I can volunteer their.
I’m just gonna go through my subjects separately to tell you how I’m finding them so far:

Maths

I honestly thought I’m gonna be really bad at Alevel maths but I’m finding it quite alright so far. We did a GCSE Recap test in which I got full marks in, higher than people who did further maths at GCSE. I’m not boasting but it’s just that I felt really intimidated when I was starting school because everyone in my Maths class is really intelligent. This one guy got all 9s!!(amongst 4 other people in my year lol?)
Although maths is interesting, we’re still just doing GCSE stuff but to a higher level obviously which is why, after I’ve done my homework for the day, I use my textbook to ‘read’ ahead. To conclude, I love my Maths teachers and the class, theyre so supportive!!

Biology

Well, so in biology we’re doing biological molecules with one teacher and cell structure with the other one and I’ve gotta say it Biological Molecules is sooo much better!! It’s just that I’ve always found cellular biology a bit boring although it is more interesting at Alevel than it was at GCSE.
For biology, I still haven’t found my revision strategy.. I have already made notes for the first year(almost) and now I’m making flashcards but I really need to focus on getting some practice questions into my routine aswell!! All in all, I love biology too because my teachers are really nice and the class is quite intelligent too lol.

Physics

I honestly cannot describe my love for physics and the curiosity it ignites in me everytime I step into the classroom!! We’re doing particles and radiation with one teacher and Electricity with the other. I have to say that the former literally blows my mind and its just fabulous to learn about how physicists make predictions about particles and they actually find them!(?) we havent really started the Alevel content in electricity or maybe its just a buildup from GCSE but I am looking forward to discovering new things hehe.
For physics revision, I’m literally just doing practice questions after having a quick read from my revision guide. I find it so helpful and I wish I’d done this more at GCSE. Practice is key, Lads!!
Also, I have to say, reading ahead of what you’re gonna learn in your lessons is sooo beneficial, I’m not even kidding, my lessons are just a recap of what I already know! (well that’s what I think anyways lol)

Chemistry

Before I started Alevel chemistry, I was a bit unsure about how interesting it might be even though I did spend my summer reading Alevel content. But, when I tell you chemistry is probably one of my favourite subjects right now, I won’t be lying(although they’re all my favourite hehe)
We’ve been doing moles with one teacher and organic chemistry with the other. When I’m in organic chemistry lessons I don’t even feel like I’m studying, morelike playing a puzzle game by drawing all those compounds and matching them etc. I really love it. Moles is pretty much GCSE stuff apart from the Ideal Gas Equation. I absolutely hated this topic at GCSE cuz it was my worst one. But now, it’s quite amazing that I like it, again, due to practice.
So, chemistry is fabulous, much better than expected and I’m looking forward to doing more of it!

(THIS is a really long post and even though Ive go so much more to talk about, I’m gonna cut it short and I might post again this evening. Also I'm doing this on my phone so ignore the editing)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Humairazaman
Amazing GCSEs!!! Well done, Im sure your hard work paid off:smile:
Yh 4 and 1/2 Alevels are pretty hard, Im basically studying(+procrastinating) all day lol.
I haven't started yet but I'm gonna order a 400 questions bmat book tomorrow, I think. What about you? Are u doing anything for med rn? My sixth form cancelled all clubs and extracurriculars cuz of corona:angry:. Also, I've just been pretty busy with Alevels for the past couple weeks... so i didnt have time for anything else

i've done about 11 bmat past papers from the website and recorded my results (just so i get a gist of how it works and where i struggled). i've only done sec1 tho for the bmat and i've done a bitttt of ucat (not a lot). i just don't want to be surprised or behind when it comes to the actually revising for the exams, you know? also sameee we have no extracurriculars :frown: i think i'm going to leave my med revision until after my a levels, maybe do a bit every week if i have time to, but rn i want to focus on getting A*A*A*A*
i've done about 11 bmat past papers from the website and recorded my results (just so i get a gist of how it works and where i struggled). i've only done sec1 tho for the bmat and i've done a bitttt of ucat (not a lot). i just don't want to be surprised or behind when it comes to the actually revising for the exams, you know? also sameee we have no extracurriculars :frown: i think i'm going to leave my med revision until after my a levels, maybe do a bit every week if i have time to, but rn i want to focus on getting A*A*A*A*

Yh I'm gonna start revising for BMAT UCAT ASAP cuz I don't wanna be behind and do loads of practice. I also wanna get 4 A*s and A* in EPQ hopefully. I think if I can get all my ALEVEL work done during the week Id have time for other stuff on the weekends. It's all about time management at the end of the day. What unis are u thinking about BTW?
Yh I'm gonna start revising for BMAT UCAT ASAP cuz I don't wanna be behind and do loads of practice. I also wanna get 4 A*s and A* in EPQ hopefully. I think if I can get all my ALEVEL work done during the week Id have time for other stuff on the weekends. It's all about time management at the end of the day. What unis are u thinking about BTW?

i'm not interested in oxbridge or any uni in london (except maybe imperial) just because i don't want to live in london (i've lived here my whole life!) and i don't like the traditional, rigorous style of teaching oxbridge has to offer (i prefer pbl). i'm thinking of 1 bmat uni and 3 ucat unis, but i may apply to imperial because i really love it but then again idk if my gcses are strong enough, since loads of people got straight 9s this year. tbh, i'd be happy to get into any med skl! wbu?
Im interested in Oxford but as u said loads of people got straight 9s this year I might apply to Cambridge instead as they look at ALEVELS and bmat more. Apart from that I wanna apply to UCL and imperial and a very safe med school. I know I'm aiming high but I genuinely like these unis so it's difficult to not apply just because they're competitive. Contrary to u, I really like the research intensive rigorous oxbridge teaching style lol but ofcourse I'd be happy to get into any med school because of how competitive medicine is.
Im interested in Oxford but as u said loads of people got straight 9s this year I might apply to Cambridge instead as they look at ALEVELS and bmat more. Apart from that I wanna apply to UCL and imperial and a very safe med school. I know I'm aiming high but I genuinely like these unis so it's difficult to not apply just because they're competitive. Contrary to u, I really like the research intensive rigorous oxbridge teaching style lol but ofcourse I'd be happy to get into any med school because of how competitive medicine is.

i think if i ever applied to oxbridge it would be for the prestige lmao but that doesn't interest me so much. it's nice to know you care about research tho, a lot of people don't! good luck, i hope you get in and do well this year :smile:
i think if i ever applied to oxbridge it would be for the prestige lmao but that doesn't interest me so much. it's nice to know you care about research tho, a lot of people don't! good luck, i hope you get in and do well this year :smile:

Thank you so much!! You too!! Keep in touch, I like to talk to like minded people lol:smile:
Thank you so much!! You too!! Keep in touch, I like to talk to like minded people lol:smile:

definetely! xx
Apart from that I wanna apply to UCL and imperial and a very safe med school.

Which med school is that lol?! Even the lowest competition ratio has >2 applicants per offer, vast majority of which will have AAA+. Keele consistently averages >4 applicants per offer. I'm told the highest ratios for 2020 have been UCLan, Kent and Medway and Lincoln...

If you're applying for 3 BMAT unis I would strongly strongly recommend doing the September BMAT so you have results before you apply. This would mean you can't apply to Oxford. Applying for 3 BMAT unis doing November BMAT would be absolutely nuts.
i'm not interested in oxbridge or any uni in london (except maybe imperial) just because i don't want to live in london (i've lived here my whole life!) and i don't like the traditional, rigorous style of teaching oxbridge has to offer (i prefer pbl). i'm thinking of 1 bmat uni and 3 ucat unis, but i may apply to imperial because i really love it but then again idk if my gcses are strong enough, since loads of people got straight 9s this year. tbh, i'd be happy to get into any med skl! wbu?

So you hate London and hate traditional teaching but want to apply to Imperial? :K: :tongue:
Original post by nexttime
Which med school is that lol?! Even the lowest competition ratio has >2 applicants per offer, vast majority of which will have AAA+. Keele consistently averages >4 applicants per offer. I'm told the highest ratios for 2020 have been UCLan, Kent and Medway and Lincoln...

If you're applying for 3 BMAT unis I would strongly strongly recommend doing the September BMAT so you have results before you apply. This would mean you can't apply to Oxford. Applying for 3 BMAT unis doing November BMAT would be absolutely nuts.

So you hate London and hate traditional teaching but want to apply to Imperial? :K: :tongue:

i don't hate london or traditional ? i would "rather" do something like pbl where there's more patient contact but i don't mind traditional at all! that wouldn't deter me from a uni in the slightest. i said i'm not interested in any uni in london except imperial, girl, read what i actually say before you decide to reply
This looks so good! Well done on your amazing grades! Can I please be tagged??
Ofcourse thank you so much!! Are u in year 12 aswell?
Original post by nexttime

I know what u mean. There are no safe med schools but I meant that med schools which put more weighting on the strong aspects of my application for example if I get 4 A star predictions. Because Oxford isn't a safe med school for me. Too many people got straight 9s this year. Ik that Nov bmat would be risky but idk what to do. I have to wait and see if I'm going to apply to Oxford or not. BTW does Cambridge accept September bmat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending