11 A*s Watch

This discussion is closed.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I was joking btw - I don't care if people think I'm sad for wanting to get those grades.

If I can do it whilst doing other things that I enjoy and spending time with my friends, I don't really think it's a problem.

If I want to do it, it'll be a lot of hard work, but just because someone does get very good grades, that doesn't make them sad.

I know I'm not really looking to the 'real world' etc here, but, as I mentioned, I have had this weird urge to try for it. I am aware that 11 A* GCSEs will only get me so far...(That's why I'm going to try for 6 As at A Level...j/k!) It's not really about jobs/unis (though 11 A*s certainly will help) - more just a personal thing. It's like I have to prove myself...to myself...
HaggenDaZ
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
There is a fine line between good grades and 11A*'s.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MC REN)
he probably counts a GNVQ in IT as 4 gcses, my school tried to say that

i don't think 14 or 16 GCSEs is that far out of the question really, if they sat some early and picked up latin/3 languages, triple science, some subjects like astronomy it could be done.

I don't think my school would have a problem with me doing 16 GCSEs
My school counts GNVQs as 4 GCSEs as well, but a pass is CCCC, a merit is BBBB and a distinction is AAAA. Even with full marks, you can't get an A* out of one.
pilchard
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elfen princess)
For maths GCSE 2 years ago, the grade boundary was around 70/75% for an A*, which compared to some subjects is fairly low, so secyring an A* is perhaps not as difficult as it may seem
I think maths has actually got harder over the last couple of years, at east in my school. When I did it (im now in year 13) it was a coursework and 2 exams. Now they do a modular system ansd the head of maths says itt is similar difficulty to P1 (or C1/C2 as they call it now) which is the AS level maths. Even if the percentage needed is lower it is still harder. However, if you go on to A-level things are getting easier because they have changed the syllabus to make it easier.
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I pulled 7 1/2, and A*s weren't beyond my ability in the other two I took - if I'd put a decent amount of work in to them I would have picked it up. If you want them and you've got the ability, its perfectly plausible - just a case of putting effort in.
Godmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
How possible is it to get 11 A*s for GCSE?
I want that soooo badly...
I have 1 A* - did RE last year, now I have 10 to go...
1 was ok, but how the hell am I going to do 10?? :confused:
Okay it is very possible, i managed to get there...even though i came from a very low achieving state school...what im tryin 2say is that if u believe in yourself succeeding and keep in mind that that is what you want - all A* grades then i dont think there should be anything that stops you from getting there..i wish you the best of luck with your studies

Regards
Godmaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
It's simply not worth it. Think of all the fun you could be off having...11 A*'s won't get you all that much further than 8 A's...or 4 A's and 4 B's.

Have fun. Live a little.
These days 11A*'s arent really that demanding at all as long as you learn the material enough and can really argue about what your saying..sciences is just rote learning and the essay based subjects require more analysis to achieve the top grade..its really not as hard as it sounds although it IS an achievement...dont be put off by the idea that you will not have a good social life as that is simply NOT true!
Hash
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was joking btw - I don't care if people think I'm sad for wanting to get those grades.

If I can do it whilst doing other things that I enjoy and spending time with my friends, I don't really think it's a problem.

If I want to do it, it'll be a lot of hard work, but just because someone does get very good grades, that doesn't make them sad.

I know I'm not really looking to the 'real world' etc here, but, as I mentioned, I have had this weird urge to try for it. I am aware that 11 A* GCSEs will only get me so far...(That's why I'm going to try for 6 As at A Level...j/k!) It's not really about jobs/unis (though 11 A*s certainly will help) - more just a personal thing. It's like I have to prove myself...to myself...
11A* is not that big a deal. I managed to achieve these grades just by studying for 1 month before the exams (and not even very hard). Believe me, it did not interfere with my social life at all.

As long as you are understanding the course content, you will be fine. It's just a matter of getting your exam technique right. I would advise attempting as many past papers as you can and going through the mark schemes. That alone could boost you a grade in most subjects!
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
[[/QUOTE]
For maths GCSE 2 years ago, the grade boundary was around 70/75% for an A*, which compared to some subjects is fairly low, so secyring an A* is perhaps not as difficult as it may seem.

I think the best way you can improve your ability in maths, is to (1)make sure you have decent notes on the main topics, even if it means going through and reproducing your existing notes from lessons, that are written in a way that is easy to follow for YOU, and to (2) attempt as many questions as possible so you can practise applying the skills you've learnt, and develop .[/QUOTE]

Well last year in my GCSE I got 76% and aparently that was just a B :mad:

I found maths nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, i got 20% in my mock (MUCH harder than the actual exam), did no pass papers for revision and still got a (what must have been very high) B. I did do some reading revision for it, but i think the thing that helped most of all was going to my teacher when i didnt understand something.
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago

Oh yer! rock on, doing maths revision in.... the cinema and while playing football are ya?
The Chameleon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
[
For maths GCSE 2 years ago, the grade boundary was around 70/75% for an A*, which compared to some subjects is fairly low, so secyring an A* is perhaps not as difficult as it may seem.

I think the best way you can improve your ability in maths, is to (1)make sure you have decent notes on the main topics, even if it means going through and reproducing your existing notes from lessons, that are written in a way that is easy to follow for YOU, and to (2) attempt as many questions as possible so you can practise applying the skills you've learnt, and develop .[/QUOTE]

I found maths nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, i got 20% in my mock (MUCH harder than the actual exam), did no pass papers for revision and still got a (what must have been very high) B. I did do some reading revision for it, but i think the thing that helped most of all was going to my teacher when i didnt understand something.[/QUOTE]

The 76% was probably in terms of UMS.
Guido
Report 14 years ago
Firstly, anyone who says GCSEs dont matter is a fool because the main institutions wont even consider you if you dont have all A*s/As. Also, GCSEs are probably the easiest exams you will sit in your life, and definately will be much easier than A Levels/IB and University for that matter, relatively speaking. Deffo go for the 11 A*s. You dont need to be especially clever - just attentive and with common sense. Good luck!

QUOTE=The Chameleon]For maths GCSE 2 years ago, the grade boundary was around 70/75% for an A*, which compared to some subjects is fairly low, so secyring an A* is perhaps not as difficult as it may seem.

I found maths nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, i got 20% in my mock (MUCH harder than the actual exam), did no pass papers for revision and still got a (what must have been very high) B. I did do some reading revision for it, but i think the thing that helped most of all was going to my teacher when i didnt understand something.[/QUOTE]

The 76% was probably in terms of UMS.[/QUOTE]
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Guido)
the main institutions wont even consider you if you dont have all A*s/As.
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=816
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=811
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=842
http://www.oa.waveflex.com/profiles/...isp.asp?id=831

I wish you were right, but unfortunately you aren't...
Guido
Report 14 years ago
fair enough, but it is the very small minority...they must have really shone at interview. And be talented at other things, e.g. music, drama.

Godmaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

must say i think its rarer at cambridge though...i havent seen many examples but im sure both uni's are open 2 candidates who got educated from a more modest school
Evolin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its definatley possible.

depending on ure subjects and how many obviously, it wasnt possible for me, as i did GNVQ IT where the highest possible grade is a distinction, equivalent to 2A's at GCSE. so max for me was 9A*'s, got 6
xblackxmagicx
Report 14 years ago
How possible is it to get 11 A*s for GCSE?
I want that soooo badly...
I have 1 A* - did RE last year, now I have 10 to go...
1 was ok, but how the hell am I going to do 10?? :confused:
I am now currently doing 12 gcses, and getting nearly all A's. Gotta study hard though.
usa1981
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So if Prince William who by the media and Royal family was said to be so smart and he only got 3 A*'s, 5 A's, and 2 B's and maybe two others exams that were never released but were probably at least C's than he got A, B, and a C on his A-levels?
Are your opitions on this he is not as smart as he was made out to be or was it because he was doing so many sports (Deffiant sports:Rugby{A team}, football, trap shooting, water polo, swimming and possible sports: basketball, netball,and polo plus CCF where he got he the Sword of Honor and the Royal Polo Team ) in adddition to his GCSE's and A-levels?
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You don't actually have to work all that hard to get A*s (but it certainly doesn't harm your chances). I was silly enough to do only two or three hours of revision (and only for History, too) and came out with 9 A*s and 3 As. A few kids at my school managed to get 12/13 A*s, though, although, admittedly, they worked for it.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Coming from a pretty standard state school 11 A*s isn't the kind of thing you get every year (I somehow doubt that anyone has ever got a full set, judging by the results published). I've just got my mock results back and I have 10 A*s and an A predicted (damn my rubbish year 10 artwork), but I've never revised properly for any of my subjects. I reckon it's just one of those things when someone's able to get loads of A*s, and if it would be a lot of work to get 11 A*s, i'd recommend not going too far to try and get them - no educational establishment anywhere is going to require results like that. I know it's a cliche but it's the old "Do the best you can do" and not worry about getting so many A*s.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise