StudentKid26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m trying to decide on doing a course or apprenticeship in something design related. I would like something that would maybe ‘guarantee’ a job?
Last edited by StudentKid26; 1 month ago
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentKid26)
I’m trying to decide on doing a course or apprenticeship in something design related. I would like something that would maybe ‘guarantee’ a job?
Hi there!

Have you considered studying a creative degree? At Plymouth College of Art, we offer many degrees that involve designing across a range of practices. If you're interested in designing prints, products, typography, and other digital/analogue imagery, we offer Graphic Communication (it used to be called Graphic Design, but was changed to reflect the inclusion of a broader range of communication methods available using modern technology). We also offer Illustration and Printed Textile Design & Surface Pattern. If you want to learn how to design and make with materials such as glass, ceramics, wood, and metal, then 3D Design Crafts may be up your street. If you're interested in designing clothing and/or furnishings, then perhaps take a look at Fashion, Costume Production & Associated Crafts, Textile Practices, or Interior Decoration Design & Styling.

There are lots of different options under the bracket of 'design' and many exciting career pathways you can take! Perhaps have a look around at some different courses and you may find something of interest that you haven't yet considered!

With regard to 'guaranteeing' a job, studying a degree is a very good way to help your career and job prospects, however no degree will ever guarantee you a job (this is the same across all degrees and fields). This is the same for other routes, such as apprenticeships or short-courses. All of these options are valid and valuable, but no course can 100% guarantee you a job (but they all do really help!). The BA (Hons) degree will give you three years to learn, develop, and produce an industry-ready portfolio that will reflect you as a designer - which is normally what employers in creative industries will look at during the hiring process. With the degree, you will be supported and taught how to get yourself into the industry and it will give you a great foundation for your career. However, apprenticeships are also great at getting yourself hands-on experience whilst often earning money, and short-courses are great for condensing your studies. Take a look at a few different routes and see what suits your learning style and preferences best.

I hope this helps! If you'd like to talk to some of our students, please feel to message any of us on UniBuddy!
Lauren
Third Year Animation Student and Student Ambassador
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentKid26)
No degree will guarantee you a job although there are degrees with high employability of their graduates.

If you want to do an apprenticeship I would contact your local FE College that provides apprenticeships and say you’re interested in doing one that’s design related and then go from there. Send them an email!
SAE Institute Staff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The creative industries are a great choice of subject to study at higher education level because there are so many different directions you can take your career. An apprenticeship would definitely give you loads of practical skills and knowledge of the working world - but it's important to understand that neither a degree or an apprenticeship any more likely to 'guarantee' you a job at the end of it. It normally always comes down to who is the best candidate for the role - and you can give yourself the best chance of success by choosing to study something you are passionate about.

For instance, if you were to study a 2-year Game Art Animation degree at SAE Insitute, you could use the skills you acquire on this course to do any number of roles, from working as a Character or Concept Artist on AAA videogames, to working in marketing or product design. You can find out more about this course here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/babsc-hons-game-art-animation

Most university or higher education provider admissions teams will be able to provide information about graduate outcomes upon request - this normally takes the form of a % of graduates who are in a job six or twelve months after graduating. If you'd like to learn more about where some of SAE's alumni have gone on to work, check out this page: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/our-alumni

Is there a specific area of design or art that you are especially interested in?

Beth Kirkbride
Marketing and Communications Officer - SAE Institute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads