The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa physics question help

Explain what led to the plum pudding model of the atom being replaced by the nuclear model of the atom.
My answer: The plum pudding experiment found out that it would deflect back in another direction once it had hit the gold foil so there had to be electrons. Because it went through the foil, it proved that there had to be empty space.
Indicative content:
-Alpha particle scattering experiment
-Alpha particles directed at gold foil
-Most alpha particles pass straight through
(so) mass is concentrated at centre of atom
-(and) nucleus is positively charged
-plum pudding model has mass spread throughout atom
-plum pudding model has charge spread throughout atom

My problem is with this type of exam question is that do you have to include every "indicative content" point to get 6 marks? For level 3: "a detailed and coherent explanation is provided".
yeah for 6 points you need 6 marks. And why is your answer sooo short?

Mate... always stick to the point okay?

So if I were you I would write

"The plum pudding model suggested that mass and charge were spread throughout the atom and you had negatively charged particles (plums) in a postively charged atom (pudding). However, experimentally speaking, Rutherford used charged alpha particles (positively charged) and fired them at a gold foil. Most of the particles went through which suggested that the atom is mainly empty space unlike the plum pudding model where if this model were to be true, most of the particles wouldve bounced back (positive and positive repel). Few particles deflected at an angle greater than 90 degrees (came away from the screen) which suggested that most of the atoms mass is at the centre and contains most of the atoms mass and is also positively charged."

Quick Reply

Latest