is shepherds pie healthy

Watch
Sksjsjsjdksj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i eat it a lot and it is low carb (5.1g carbs)
Repeater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lamb is a very fatty meat.

A lot of cheese/butter in the potatoes would be unhealthy.

But I would say as a whole it's certainly not the worst thing you could be eating. Delicious too!
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As with all thing, it can be healthy when eaten Iin moderation within a healthy diet.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It can be incorporated into a balanced diet.
Sksjsjsjdksj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Repeater)
Lamb is a very fatty meat.

A lot of cheese/butter in the potatoes would be unhealthy.

But I would say as a whole it's certainly not the worst thing you could be eating. Delicious too!
there’s one similar called cumberland pie which is beef instead would that be better? i eat this like 3 times a week
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sksjsjsjdksj)
there’s one similar called cumberland pie which is beef instead would that be better? i eat this like 3 times a week
Isn't that cottage pie with beef?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Red meat and potato isn't, but is fine in moderation, if with added vegetables. In general, processed food is less healthy - often high in sugar, salt and / or fat, with numbers based on unrealistically small serving sizes. cooking your own food ensures that you know exactly what is in it.

Low carb (/ ketogenic) diets are a fad, and can be dangerous for some people. The science is to eat a calorie-controlled, balanced diet, not restrict (unprocessed) food groups. Typical advice would be to reduce added sugar and refined (simple) carbohydrates, and to increase complex carbs (e.g. wholewheat) and vegetables.
Repeater
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh I thought you were making it yourself. I would recommend making it rather than eating ready meals. From 500g minced lamb you can make 3 or 4 meals once padded out with veggies. It'll taste a lot better too.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it's a ready meal, then it's not the healthiest option.
If it's homemade then it is likely to be more healthy, but it depends if you are having it as part of a balanced diet. If your other meals are chips and sausages then that's not great, but if your other meals are salads and vegetable soups then that's much better.
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Even if it's homemade, it's still not the healthiest option, especially if you have it with meat.
If you put lots of vegetables in the actual pie, and also have a side of vegetables, that would make it healthier.
You could also try making it with lentils, I do that cause I don't eat meat. It's still really good.
However, eating anything/any meal 3 times a week isn't really healthy. You do need to have a more balanced diet. Maybe try learning some new recipes?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (22)
23.4%
No (72)
76.6%

Watched Threads