The Student Room Group

Online tutor volunteering

Hi everyone!

I wanted to ask, if anyone has done any online volunteer tutoring before? And also if anyone has worked with 'GT Scholars' before? I've applied to do the maths tutoring, anyone have first hand expereince on what its like/what it entails? I'm trying to do some volunteering work to help learn new skills so i can write down on the CV

About myself:
I found it difficult to get a part time job at this moment, due to covid, so i decided for volunteering positions. Im currently starting 2nd year uni.

Many thanks

:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
i teach a summer camp-like class online. it's paid because the course is expensive for students so i don't know how that compares to volunteering but i expect the things you could write on your cv are roughly similar

you can ask me anything if you think my experience is relevant to yours
Original post by Galdiowolf
Hi everyone!

I wanted to ask, if anyone has done any online volunteer tutoring before? And also if anyone has worked with 'GT Scholars' before? I've applied to do the maths tutoring, anyone have first hand expereince on what its like/what it entails? I'm trying to do some volunteering work to help learn new skills so i can write down on the CV

Many thanks

Sounds like a rip-off. Do they charge for their tutoring?

Why not volunteer in your school to help students out? We train our students to do this :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Sounds like a rip-off. Do they charge for their tutoring?

Why not volunteer in your school to help students out? We train our students to do this :smile:

Hi its of charge, so it's basically free. I'm planning on doing volunteering to help out underachieving GCSE students. Do you think its bad idea the fact that its non-paid work? I'm currently at uni.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
i teach a summer camp-like class online. it's paid because the course is expensive for students so i don't know how that compares to volunteering but i expect the things you could write on your cv are roughly similar

you can ask me anything if you think my experience is relevant to yours

Hey, that sounds amazing. Its nice your getting paid, at least for your effort and time. Do you do your tutoring online using like zoom/skype? How long have you been doing it? Also, do you enjoy doing it, it must be challenging at times? Many thanks
Hi everyone!

Many thanks

this sounds good, might try this myself. do they let you do online tutoring only?
Hi its of charge, so it's basically free. I'm planning on doing volunteering to help out underachieving GCSE students. Do you think its bad idea the fact that its non-paid work? I'm currently at uni.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've checked their website out and there are a lot of paid staff ... they do charge,

If you want to do this then approach a local school and offer. They will support you and give you a more respected reference.
Hey, that sounds amazing. Its nice your getting paid, at least for your effort and time. Do you do your tutoring online using like zoom/skype? How long have you been doing it? Also, do you enjoy doing it, it must be challenging at times? Many thanks

yes we have zoom calls which offer quite a lot of functionality, although it dampens the mood so you have to be even more enthusiastic

i find it fun but teaching is not my environment and were i not getting primarily the work experience/a CV reference i wouldn't volunteer for it

given that my courses are all meant to be fun education, most of the children/teenagers are engaged and willing. whereas for normal tutoring, you may find you've got children who've acquiesced to their parents demands for working harder
Reply 8
I've checked their website out and there are a lot of paid staff ... they do charge,

If you want to do this then approach a local school and offer. They will support you and give you a more respected reference.

Thanks for the reply. So you would suggest getting in touch with a local school etc. Instead? That does sound like a better idea, I'm just not sure how i'd go about doing it. Yes, i understand that tutoring is usually always a paid job i guess there's two sides to it.
Reply 9
Original post by HoldThisL
yes we have zoom calls which offer quite a lot of functionality, although it dampens the mood so you have to be even more enthusiastic

i find it fun but teaching is not my environment and were i not getting primarily the work experience/a CV reference i wouldn't volunteer for it

given that my courses are all meant to be fun education, most of the children/teenagers are engaged and willing. whereas for normal tutoring, you may find you've got children who've acquiesced to their parents demands for working harder

Thanks for your reply/advice. I dont intend to do tutoring very long time, i'm doing placement next year and i need skills enhanced on my Cv. Also its good to learn new skills? Do you find it tricky sometimes when you're tutoring, like non responsive students/students who dont care much?

I guess for my case its a bit different, because im trying to do something additional alongside uni. Overall would you recommend the tutoring?
Thanks for your reply/advice. I dont intend to do tutoring very long time, i'm doing placement next year and i need skills enhanced on my Cv. Also its good to learn new skills? Do you find it tricky sometimes when you're tutoring, like non responsive students/students who dont care much?

I guess for my case its a bit different, because im trying to do something additional alongside uni. Overall would you recommend the tutoring?

overall yes because (cv-wise) tutoring is harder than just working in a team: its like a normal job except you're the leader; you have to be an adult; and you're responsible for their progress

there's always tricky students and that's partly your problem too since you're required to make the effort to teach them what they're paying for and can't just focus on the students who want to learn
is it possible to become a tutor without showing your face and get paid?
Thanks for the reply. So you would suggest getting in touch with a local school etc. Instead? That does sound like a better idea, I'm just not sure how i'd go about doing it. Yes, i understand that tutoring is usually always a paid job i guess there's two sides to it.

What worries me about this company is their motives - they want people to volunteer yet have quite a few paid staff on their books who don't teach.

I would contact a local school near your uni and offer to volunteer to work with their maths department - you'd need a DBS [but the online people would need this too]. It will be far better to work alongside people if you haven't got much experience. There are some great free resources that I can point you to if you get somewhere.
What worries me about this company is their motives - they want people to volunteer yet have quite a few paid staff on their books who don't teach.

I would contact a local school near your uni and offer to volunteer to work with their maths department - you'd need a DBS [but the online people would need this too]. It will be far better to work alongside people if you haven't got much experience. There are some great free resources that I can point you to if you get somewhere.

Yep im aware about dbs check.
Im contemplating now, perhaps todto paid tutoring online instead, cant decide really.

Quick Reply

Latest