The Student Room Group

sixth form or college??

i was ready and excited to start college when i got a call from them saying that i couldn’t do two of my alevel options together and now i’m unsure what to do. at college there is so much more freedom and will be new people, but at sixth form i can do the courses i would’ve like to but i’m stuck in the same environment and with friends who i don’t get on with too well. if i stay at college i would be stuck on what to do as the only courses i liked were the ones i picked. i swear i have the worst luck
A level choices aren't all-important. good grades in the right subjects (that qualify you for the degree you want) are the most important. subjects you like are still very viable even if not your favourite choices
Original post by xkatierebecca
i was ready and excited to start college when i got a call from them saying that i couldn’t do two of my alevel options together and now i’m unsure what to do. at college there is so much more freedom and will be new people, but at sixth form i can do the courses i would’ve like to but i’m stuck in the same environment and with friends who i don’t get on with too well. if i stay at college i would be stuck on what to do as the only courses i liked were the ones i picked. i swear i have the worst luck

I would slightly disagree with the above poster. It really depends on what you want to do after alevels, for example if you wanted to go into medicine and they said you couldn’t do biology and chemistry together, then you would have to go to the sixth form in order to do what you wanted. However, if the subject the college are preventing you from doing has no real affect on your degree/future options and you know an alternative subject that you would enjoy I would say go to the college.

I was in a bit of a similar position last year, I wanted to do product design as one of my alevels, but the college I wanted to go to didn’t offer it (where as my school sixth form did), in the end I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to do geography instead at the college...good luck :smile:
Original post by Becca216
I would slightly disagree with the above poster. It really depends on what you want to do after alevels, for example if you wanted to go into medicine and they said you couldn’t do biology and chemistry together, then you would have to go to the sixth form in order to do what you wanted. However, if the subject the college are preventing you from doing has no real affect on your degree/future options and you know an alternative subject that you would enjoy I would say go to the college.

I was in a bit of a similar position last year, I wanted to do product design as one of my alevels, but the college I wanted to go to didn’t offer it (where as my school sixth form did), in the end I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to do geography instead at the college...good luck :smile:

thankyou! the college called me today and now i’m doing human biology and psychology (which are btecs) and alevel drama:smile:
Original post by xkatierebecca
thankyou! the college called me today and now i’m doing human biology and psychology (which are btecs) and alevel drama:smile:

No worries! Best of luck for the next 2 years :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending