The Student Room Group

Its taking me far too long to pass my driving test

So I've had about 70 hours of driving lessons and I still don't feel ready for the test. I'm still making serious mistakes like not finding a safe gap at roundabouts and my manoeuvres are still going terribly wrong; I can't get them right in one go and I always have to correct them which makes me even more stressed. I finally had the guts to get a new driving instructor because I just couldn't tell him he was s*** in a nice way. Tbh i don't even think it was him but something has to change. So I'm getting a new instructor and I hope this one is better but the fact that I'm probably going to reach 100 driving lessons and still not pass is embarrassing. I'm young so I should have passed at least 6 months ago at the average of 45 hours. My parents have spent WAYY more than money than they should have and it just makes me feel even more depressed, especially since I don't have a job yet so I can't pay for the lessons myself. I know driving is a skill for life but I feel like if I don't get along with this new instructor I am hopeless and I should just give up....
(edited 3 years ago)
Not embarrassing at all, everyone learns things at their own pace! I failed 3 driving tests before I finally passed, I was getting so stressed out and almost gave up after each of those tests. Do you think you're nervous when you drive? I would spend all my driving tests and lessons overthinking every single thing I was doing and that would make me mess up. I don't know what you're like when you're driving but I'm sure you're not a bad driver! When approaching roundabouts, junctions etc just make sure you never rush - trust yourself to find a safe gap even if it means you're waiting for ages. With manoeuvres I found it helpful to watch YouTube videos on how to get them right & also ask your instructor to maybe spend a whole lesson just practicing manoeuvres. Examiners aren't looking for perfection, they're only making sure you're a safe driver. You're young and have already started the process so don't give up! Recognise when you're starting to feel stressed in a situation and if you can't see a safe gap, just don't go. You'll pass one day and it will be the best feeling :smile:, good luck!
Original post by izzxm
Not embarrassing at all, everyone learns things at their own pace! I failed 3 driving tests before I finally passed, I was getting so stressed out and almost gave up after each of those tests. Do you think you're nervous when you drive? I would spend all my driving tests and lessons overthinking every single thing I was doing and that would make me mess up. I don't know what you're like when you're driving but I'm sure you're not a bad driver! When approaching roundabouts, junctions etc just make sure you never rush - trust yourself to find a safe gap even if it means you're waiting for ages. With manoeuvres I found it helpful to watch YouTube videos on how to get them right & also ask your instructor to maybe spend a whole lesson just practicing manoeuvres. Examiners aren't looking for perfection, they're only making sure you're a safe driver. You're young and have already started the process so don't give up! Recognise when you're starting to feel stressed in a situation and if you can't see a safe gap, just don't go. You'll pass one day and it will be the best feeling :smile:, good luck!

Yeah I get extremely nervous when driving especially when it is busy and there is a lot of traffic around me, that's when I begin to make loads of mistakes like stalling at roundabouts when trying to find a safe gap quickly. I think after I make one mistake , I make another and so on like a snowball effect and it makes me come away from the driving lesson feeling frustrated and angry with myself. I have binged watched loads of driving YouTube channels, I even purchased the ultimate driving course and it just looks so simple on these videos but when I actually get behind the wheel, my nerves just takeover completely. I guess all i can do is just keep practicing and try to keep my nerves under control. Thanks for your advice!
Reply 3
If stalling and gears are an issue have you considered automatic.

A number of people do say they have difficulties with the driving test in a manual, opt for auto in the next test and pass.

If it suits your needs then you're okay innit :smile:
Reply 4
Hello. I was once in your shoes. I started learning to drive at 17 and like you, I thought I’d pass within a few months of having lessons but alas that wasn’t the case.

I had awful anxiety resulting in many sleepless nights dreading driving lessons, I went to my GP for beta blockers which I felt like made it worse as I felt so zoned out and couldn’t concentrate during lessons. I felt so low seeing everyone passing their test before me despite having fewer lessons than me and starting their lessons after me. I must have had over 100 hours of lessons in a period of 3-4 years of learning to drive (it was on-and-off due to anxiety and university) and my parents kindly funded my lessons which I also felt bad for because it was so much money. I went through 3 instructors and I eventually passed on my fifth attempt (I think it was my fifth attempt) with 2 minors.
I now drive over 10,000 miles a year and have never had an accident. I’ve been driving for 3 years and drive all over the UK and small parts of Europe and I actually love driving now.

Please persevere. Giving up is not an option. I hated every lesson and would always have a sigh of relief when the lesson was over. Maybe see a GP for your anxiety over lessons and see if they prescribe something or if your new instructor isn’t what you hope - find another one. You must keep going to tackle your anxiety which is ultimately what helped me in the end to pass my test. Can you have private lessons from your parents? I didn’t but they’re very useful in conjunction with professional lessons. Also consider an automatic if stalling is a problem. Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
It’s not embarrassing, it’s that mindset that will put you off!

I started my lessons as soon as I turned 17 and it was 8 months later when I took my driving test, I failed my test and took it again a second time and then passed.

If you’re finding things difficult, then you need to keep going, you’ll only get better at things when you practice them. Everyone is different. Some people are ready to do their tests very quickly, sometimes it years for people before they’re ready to do their test!

Share your concerns with your instructor, you’re paying them to help you and teach you to drive. They’ll know your weaknesses and strengths when it comes to driving, so ask them and tell them your concerns and hopefully they’ll come up with a plan of action!

No point in rushing for your test. Only sit a test when you’re confident to some extent, otherwise there’s no point. Focus on the lessons for now then worry about the test later.
Original post by Loreto2018
So I've had about 70 hours of driving lessons and I still don't feel ready for the test. I'm still making serious mistakes like not finding a safe gap at roundabouts and my manoeuvres are still going terribly wrong; I can't get them right in one go and I always have to correct them which makes me even more stressed. I finally had the guts to get a new driving instructor because I just couldn't tell him he was s*** in a nice way. Tbh i don't even think it was him but something has to change. So I'm getting a new instructor and I hope this one is better but the fact that I'm probably going to reach 100 driving lessons and still not pass is embarrassing. I'm young so I should have passed at least 6 months ago at the average of 45 hours. My parents have spent WAYY more than money than they should have and it just makes me feel even more depressed, especially since I don't have a job yet so I can't pay for the lessons myself. I know driving is a skill for life but I feel like if I don't get along with this new instructor I am hopeless and I should just give up....

Have you ever used the AA? They're really good! I passed with 26.5hrs of lessons first time with them, and I'm not into cars or driving or anything! They really put me at ease and I was very calm during my lessons and in my test. I think driving is about being cool under pressure and not letting those hooting idiots around you pressure you into making mistakes. If someone horns, then so what, just ignore them. If someone flashes their lights at you, so what? let them flash their light at you - you just got to force yourself to be calm and relaxed and the driving will fall into place naturally. If you are an anxious person naturally and worry about everything, then maybe try mediation. You need to learn to be calm under pressure in general. It'll then help your driving and all other aspects of your life :smile:

I have my fingers crossed for you! Hope you pass next time!

I also feel like this I've been taking lessons for months and I still cant do some things independently .But, I have a big issue with going from 3rd gear to 2nd i always end up in 4th , no matter how hard I try to avoid it going into 4th .I know how to do it down to neutral push to the left and down into second. But, no matter how hard I try the majority of the time i goes into 4th and It's holding me back because I'm messing about trying to get it to the correct gear and i feel like my instructor is getting really annoyed because this has been ongoing for months does anyone have an advice :frown:.
Reply 8

I was going that way in a manual and I switched to auto, it’s not even bad, it’s more modern as manuals are dying now. The way I thought of it is I can take a years (I’ll be a bus w*nker) to learn in a manual or just do auto which I can get quicker then I can drive then I’ll never have to touch a bus ever again
(edited 3 years ago)
I am in your same shoes, I have had 50 hours and still not about to downshift properly and still panic in dual carriageways or roundabouts mainly because I spent a **** ton of money on a *****y expensive crash course to pass 😂 Everyone else I know passed under 30 hours and I genuinely wonder HOW? I don’t have a manual car to practise in and I feel like if I switch to auto, I will feel like I wasn’t good enough and failed for the rest of my life. (Not that I have a problem with auto, that’s what I will drive after I pass manual). I’m having such bad anxiety that I have sleepless nights and cry after each lesson too. I just feel like for the 50 hours, I should be an expert by now. But I’m not. It’s really frustrating. I don’t know what to advise you because I’m just as lost. I don’t know whether to change instructors and have to spend more money getting used to a different car, switch to auto, or keep giving around 2k a month to this driving instructor who says things like “let’s see how many times you stall on this road!” As if it’s a game!
Reply 10
Hey, seen this thread and just wanted to add my own story.Had my first test and failed due to nerves and genuinelynot being ready.This was in manual. Had my second test today and failed due to not positioning on the left properly when I was told to pull up to the left. I’ve never heard of this being a serious fault before and my test was going so well and I did very well on the parallel parking(the examiner told me). Apparently I wasn’t close enough to the kerb and was too wide. I feel like that is such a ridiculous thing to fail on. My theory is expiring soon and I honestly just feel like giving up now sigh. Trying to book a new test is so hard as all the places are filled. Has anyone ever used any of those apps that help you get a cancellation?
Reply 11
Original post by Starlight2212
I am in your same shoes, I have had 50 hours and still not about to downshift properly and still panic in dual carriageways or roundabouts mainly because I spent a **** ton of money on a *****y expensive crash course to pass 😂 Everyone else I know passed under 30 hours and I genuinely wonder HOW? I don’t have a manual car to practise in and I feel like if I switch to auto, I will feel like I wasn’t good enough and failed for the rest of my life. (Not that I have a problem with auto, that’s what I will drive after I pass manual). I’m having such bad anxiety that I have sleepless nights and cry after each lesson too. I just feel like for the 50 hours, I should be an expert by now. But I’m not. It’s really frustrating. I don’t know what to advise you because I’m just as lost. I don’t know whether to change instructors and have to spend more money getting used to a different car, switch to auto, or keep giving around 2k a month to this driving instructor who says things like “let’s see how many times you stall on this road!” As if it’s a game!

Hey I had the same issue as you and ended up switching to auto after my first test because the downshifting was grinding my gears.
I would say if your under timed pressure switch to automatic, if not stay with manual as you can have drive any car. Yes auto is easier but there is still a chance to make silly mistakes as I’ve witnessed my self. Honestly driving is so so stressful, honestly sick of it at this point, feel like I’ve lost all my confidence.
Original post by DA34
Hey, seen this thread and just wanted to add my own story.Had my first test and failed due to nerves and genuinelynot being ready.This was in manual. Had my second test today and failed due to not positioning on the left properly when I was told to pull up to the left. I’ve never heard of this being a serious fault before and my test was going so well and I did very well on the parallel parking(the examiner told me). Apparently I wasn’t close enough to the kerb and was too wide. I feel like that is such a ridiculous thing to fail on. My theory is expiring soon and I honestly just feel like giving up now sigh. Trying to book a new test is so hard as all the places are filled. Has anyone ever used any of those apps that help you get a cancellation?

First of all, i’m really sorry about your recent test, that is such a stupid reason to fail you! :frown:. I failed 3 tests before i passed, these fails were all down to nerves so i made a really stupid mistake in each one which of course had to be a major aha. Honestly i wanted to give up after each one but i just reminded myself how much i wanted to drive and how much money i spent on learning already 😬. I used the app ‘driving test cancellations 4 all’ and it’s amazing!! i think i paid ~£18 for it and then a little bit extra to get the premium version, but it’s so worth it as it always gave me a date 2 weeks after each test. Anyway, don’t give up + good luck!!! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by izzxm
First of all, i’m really sorry about your recent test, that is such a stupid reason to fail you! :frown:. I failed 3 tests before i passed, these fails were all down to nerves so i made a really stupid mistake in each one which of course had to be a major aha. Honestly i wanted to give up after each one but i just reminded myself how much i wanted to drive and how much money i spent on learning already 😬. I used the app ‘driving test cancellations 4 all’ and it’s amazing!! i think i paid ~£18 for it and then a little bit extra to get the premium version, but it’s so worth it as it always gave me a date 2 weeks after each test. Anyway, don’t give up + good luck!!! :smile:

Thank you so so much for your advice and reassurance. Honestly when she told me why I got the major I was so confused and had to ask her to re-explain it to me because I genuinely don’t believe that should be classed as a serious and neither did my driving instructor. I’m going to take your advice and not give up, the situation just knocked my confidence a bit. Thank you for the website going to check it out now!!
Reply 14
Original post by DA34

It’s not a ridiculous thing to fail on, a ridiculous thing to fail on is crashing into a tree or trying to run over a pedestrian.
Reply 15
Original post by TheDE
It’s not a ridiculous thing to fail on, a ridiculous thing to fail on is crashing into a tree or trying to run over a pedestrian.

Don’t know if your with me or against me loool
Reply 16
Original post by DA34
Don’t know if your with me or against me loool

I think that’s my way of saying there are far more ridiculous things to do on a test than pull up in an inappropriate position, however if you want my 5 cents then perhaps paint a better picture of the fault for instance how wide was the road, were any cars parked opposite, did anyone struggle to pass you, how far from the kerb were you, were you blocking any driveways etc. It is hardly ever as simple as it seems when it comes to serious faults
Reply 17
Original post by TheDE
I think that’s my way of saying there are far more ridiculous things to do on a test than pull up in an inappropriate position, however if you want my 5 cents then perhaps paint a better picture of the fault for instance how wide was the road, were any cars parked opposite, did anyone struggle to pass you, how far from the kerb were you, were you blocking any driveways etc. It is hardly ever as simple as it seems when it comes to serious faults

Oh okay lool. It was a normal sized road and no one struggled to get past and I didn’t park up besides another car. Maybe my judgement was off and I was far from the kerb, but as there were no cars behind me at the time I still struggle to see how that is a major fault sigh. Even when she told me I had to think back to remember because by this point I had done 2 other pull ups to the left and I thought they were fine, I think it’s hurting me because I genuinely didn’t know I had made a fault until she told me. Anyways what is done is done now, at least I know for next time, thanks.
Reply 18
Original post by DA34
Oh okay lool. It was a normal sized road and no one struggled to get past and I didn’t park up besides another car. Maybe my judgement was off and I was far from the kerb, but as there were no cars behind me at the time I still struggle to see how that is a major fault sigh. Even when she told me I had to think back to remember because by this point I had done 2 other pull ups to the left and I thought they were fine, I think it’s hurting me because I genuinely didn’t know I had made a fault until she told me. Anyways what is done is done now, at least I know for next time, thanks.

You won’t be doing the same again I’m sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending