Contract law, very quick question: Please Help

Watch
Lawhelpx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am writing an answer to a problem question and the facts are essentially that the defendant was selling tickets to an event. He hung up a sign in red letters, that reads that the event may be cancelled without warning and no refunds are accepted if this is the case, but that the purchaser's money will go to charity. The individual in the case has bought tickets to watch the event not to donate to that charity.

What topic is this related to? I assumed the first issue if whether the contract has been frustrated, but which topic covers the issue of the sign being hung up?
Last edited by Lawhelpx; 6 months ago
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What topics have you covered in your course so far?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Contract terms springs to mind
atzy_26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lawhelpx)
I am writing an answer to a problem question and the facts are essentially that the defendant was selling tickets to an event. He hung up a sign in red letters, that reads that the event may be cancelled without warning and no refunds are accepted if this is the case, but that the purchaser's money will go to charity. The individual in the case has bought tickets to watch the event not to donate to that charity.

What topic is this related to? I assumed the first issue if whether the contract has been frustrated, but which topic covers the issue of the sign being hung up?
The warning would be considered as an exclusion clause. You might have to analyse whether such an exclusion clause is valid.
atzy_26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lawhelpx)

It could be about frustration, but it depends on why the event is cancelled. (is it because of an unpredicted event) If the individual bought the tickets in advance, there is a possibility that he/she might not be able to get a refund. (it depends whether such an exclusion clause is valid) Also, when the defendant hung up the sign in red, was it visible to everyone? If not, then it would imply that the individual might not have known of it and defendant could be sued. It really depends on the context.
Last edited by atzy_26; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%