The Student Room Group

Advice on applications...

Basically, I was predicted AAAA for AS-levels and came out with ABBC.
I took RS, Economics, Maths and English lit+lang and these results have completely thrown me and my uni choices.

I want to apply to:
Bristol - Philosophy & Economics (AAB-ABB)
Warwick - PPE (AABb-AAbbb)
Exeter - Philosophy & the Political Economy (ABB)
Southampton - Philosophy & Economics(ABB)
UEA - Philosophy & Economics (ABB-BBB)

Really, is there anyone who can just let me know what they think about me applying there and what my chances are? i don't want to kid myself if there really is no point.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ChloeGsy
Basically, I was predicted AAAA for AS-levels and came out with ABBC.
I took RS, Economics, Maths and English lit+lang and these results have completely thrown me and my uni choices.

I want to apply to:
Bristol - Philosophy & Economics (AAB-ABB)
Warwick - PPE (AABb-AAbbb)
Exeter - Philosophy & the Political Economy (ABB)
Southampton - Philosophy & Economics(ABB)
UEA - Philosophy & Economics (ABB-BBB)

Really, is there anyone who can just let me know what they think about me applying there and what my chances are? i don't want to kid myself if there really is no point.....

They don't sound unreasonable to me apart from Warwick.
e.g. I don't see how you can get AABb from abbc

What was the a in?
Reply 2
Paulwhy
They don't sound unreasonable to me apart from Warwick.
e.g. I don't see how you can get AABb from abbc

What was the a in?

Philosophy & Ethics.
Really? I thought Bristol would be the problem...
I've justgot no idea really where to pitch my application.
I'm predicted AABB for A2 but i don't know how that will stand up against my ASlevel results.
Reply 3
Looks good, although at the Warwick offer holders day, the admissions guy explicitly said they only consider people predicted AAA (they only offer AABB to encourage oxbridge/LSE people to use them as an insurance).
Perhaps drop either Warwick or Bristol?
Reply 5
Well it also depends on if it was a one off, if you're taking resits and if you think that you're capable of bring those grades up. If so then you might still get away with it. You got plenty of choices so don't leave yourself with good grades and missing out on a good university. Since you're predicted AAAA your teachers definitely think you're capable so it's all down to you.
Reply 6
coldfusion
Well it also depends on if it was a one off, if you're taking resits and if you think that you're capable of bring those grades up. If so then you might still get away with it. You got plenty of choices so don't leave yourself with good grades and missing out on a good university. Since you're predicted AAAA your teachers definitely think you're capable so it's all down to you.

Those were her historical AS-level predictions not her current A-level predictions.
Reply 7
Yeah, now i'm predicted AABB.
I might have to drop Warwick then - i didn't realise that they were so picky! I thought that Bristol was the one to worry about.
Would it be worth emailing the unis to see how important my maths A-level grade is or would that look bad?
Reply 8
ChloeGsy
I might have to drop Warwick then - i didn't realise that they were so picky! I thought that Bristol was the one to worry about.
Would it be worth emailing the unis to see how important my maths A-level grade is or would that look bad?

Emailing them will not look bad.
e.g. your email will not even be linked up to your UCAS application.
Would it be unlikely for a candidate to be offered a place with a requirement for A in maths at A level, when they only got a C in AS (but is still predicted an A)?
Reply 10
i hope so!
i wish maths wasn't such a big deal and that they'd settle for a B!
i'm 3 marks off a B, will it be worth putting in the module marks for my maths AS so that they can see that i'm right on a B?
ChloeGsy

Ahh my mistake. Then I'd say drop Warwick.
Reply 12
I'm not sure where to put in instead though. I'm looking around the AAB-ABB mark and can't really find any other unis that do my course...
anybody any ideas?!
Reply 13
York offer PPE and I think their usual offer is AAB
Reply 14
Durham offers PPE as well, so as Manchester
Reply 15
No way Durham would look at me, and apparently York are just as competitive as Warwick. Perhaps Manchester though...
thankyou :-)
i just wish i'd done more work really and then i wouldn't be in this situation!!
do GCSE results help?
Reply 16
-WhySoSerious?
Would it be unlikely for a candidate to be offered a place with a requirement for A in maths at A level, when they only got a C in AS (but is still predicted an A)?

Certainly that would be a significant negative factor
Reply 17
if im predicted a B in maths, will they look at me? considering i'm doing the two subjects of their degree course (philosophy & economics)?
Reply 18
ChloeGsy
if im predicted a B in maths, will they look at me? considering i'm doing the two subjects of their degree course (philosophy & economics)?

Maybe. The only way to find out is to ask Warwick.

And you should worry to much if your top places are long shots (as oppossed to impossible). You just need somes place in there that are not long shorts: some places which if they rejected you that would be a big surprise!!

Note:
i) if you get 5 offers that means you under-applied
i.e. if you can accpet only 2.

ii) You just want to avoid getting 0 offers!
i.e. that would mean you over-applied.
Reply 19
Paulwhy
Maybe. The only way to find out is to ask Warwick.

And you should worry to much if your top places are long shots (as oppossed to impossible). You just need somes place in there that are not long shorts: some places which if they rejected you that would be a big surprise!!

Note:
i) if you get 5 offers that means you under-applied
i.e. if you can accpet only 2.

ii) You just want to avoid getting 0 offers!
i.e. that would mean you over-applied.

Well i should get offers from Exeter and southampton as they are ABB and i'm now predicted A A A/B B. Bristol and Warwick - well, i have a chance in that i can get their typical offer but no doubt they get way more applicants/place and so actually offer higher than that.
so i'vegot 2 long shots(ish), 2 ones where i should get offers, and 1 place where i definitely should get an offer from!
i definitely don't want to end up with 5 rejections!!

Latest

Trending

Trending