DoSuavO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
This is my first post so sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

I want to get into a good Uni and the subjects i plan to study are Law or Business but i didn't pick french for my GCSE and my french teacher told me the good colleges need at least a foreign language i don't know what to do
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I don't recall any university which asks for a foreign language at GCSE/A-Level, for non-language related courses.

Both Russel Group universities and Oxbridge generally ask for 3 A-Levels (excl General Studies) at a specific grade (A*AA/AAB/ABB etc). You can read up on specific courses online and what entry requirements they have.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you look at the entry requirements on any course page on any University website, it will tell you exactly what qualifications you need - both GCSE and A levels. You dont need to have done French GCSE until its relevant to the Uni course.

Here are some examples - this is what the entry requirements are :
Law at Oxford Brookes - A Levels: BCC, GCSE English grade 4.
Business Studies at West London - A levels BBC, GCSE English and Maths grade 4
Neither of these courses fr instance, mention GCSE French.

You might like to go and see the Careers teacher at your school for some advice - they are likely to be better informed than your French teacher!
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DoSuavO)

I want to get into a good Uni and the subjects i plan to study are Law or Business but i didn't pick french for my GCSE and my french teacher told me the good colleges need at least a foreign language i don't know what to do
Thats not correct. No language at GCSE needed to study law or business at uni.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

That teacher’s advice is so wrong it’s scary. You don’t need a language GCSE. The only uni that even says they want it for Law is UCL and even they say if you don’t have it when you apply you can take a language course in Year 1 as an alternative
justjas33
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

From what I recall, the only uni that wants a language is UCL....your teacher probably just wants you to take French for whatever reason but not because of that. Or maybe their views towards uni are outdated, some of my teachers while I was in y11 looking at what A-Levels to take threw some outdated advice at me.
DoSuavO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thank everybody who replied am going to confront my teacher once my school starts
Pinkhoney0000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What did she say when u confronted her may I ask?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads