The Student Room Group

BTEc

Hi everyone,I just needed some help. So I am currently studying BTEC applied science and at university I would really like to study dentistry. I've done some research on the different routes I could take for example doing biomedical science for 3 years then transferring to dentistry. However I cam across a different course by the name dental therapy and hygiene. Both biomedical science and dental therapy hygiene are 3 years but does anyone know if I could transfer from dental therapy hygiene to dentistry??Thanks
Original post by rafi_99
Hi everyone,I just needed some help. So I am currently studying BTEC applied science and at university I would really like to study dentistry. I've done some research on the different routes I could take for example doing biomedical science for 3 years then transferring to dentistry. However I cam across a different course by the name dental therapy and hygiene. Both biomedical science and dental therapy hygiene are 3 years but does anyone know if I could transfer from dental therapy hygiene to dentistry??Thanks

Hi there! So I am on the same boat doing BTech applied science and wishing to study medicine..So I have done my research I found three ways of getting into it.
1. Applying in unis with foundation year. So they are quite a few unis which offer medicine/dentistry with foundation year you can check that just write on google dentistry with a foundation year and it will show up the ones I remember are uni of bristol tariff Leicester and manchester.

2. Applying as graduate student. You can apply for a graduate dentistry degree with any undergraduate science-related degree.

3. As answering your question I never heard of that I have only heard of people transferring from Biomed to medicine so it could be worth it to contact students or teachers from that uni and ask them. In my knowledge, I don't think it's possible as you can transfer courses if you meet the entry requirements of that course which I am sure dentistry doesn't accept btechs. Or specific courses that say that they allow transfers like e.g biomedical science in Cardiff and Leeds they allow transfer to medicine. I would advise if you try applying for two of your uni options for dentistry with foundation and 3 for Biomed or any other course you are interested in . If you don't get in do your undergraduate degree and apply then as a graduate student. That's what I am doing.

Hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.
Original post by CrystalRose17
Hi there! So I am on the same boat doing BTech applied science and wishing to study medicine..So I have done my research I found three ways of getting into it.
1. Applying in unis with foundation year. So they are quite a few unis which offer medicine/dentistry with foundation year you can check that just write on google dentistry with a foundation year and it will show up the ones I remember are uni of bristol tariff Leicester and manchester.

2. Applying as graduate student. You can apply for a graduate dentistry degree with any undergraduate science-related degree.

3. As answering your question I never heard of that I have only heard of people transferring from Biomed to medicine so it could be worth it to contact students or teachers from that uni and ask them. In my knowledge, I don't think it's possible as you can transfer courses if you meet the entry requirements of that course which I am sure dentistry doesn't accept btechs. Or specific courses that say that they allow transfers like e.g biomedical science in Cardiff and Leeds they allow transfer to medicine. I would advise if you try applying for two of your uni options for dentistry with foundation and 3 for Biomed or any other course you are interested in . If you don't get in do your undergraduate degree and apply then as a graduate student. That's what I am doing.

Hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Hi everyone,

If you would like to do undergraduate medicine with a BTec in Applied Science, here is what you must do:

1. Make sure you achieve a top grade in your BTec.
2. Do A level Chemistry and, if you can, A level Biology alongside your BTec.
3. Work experience
4. Extra curricular activity etc.

There are 3 Universities that accept BTec Applied Science for undergradute medicine:
1. Bristol University - require UCAT and an A in A level Chemistry alongside the BTec in Applied Science (2016)
2. University of Exeter - require UCAT and an A level in Biology and Chemistry (they want A's in both)
3. University of Plymouth - no A level requirements. HOWEVER, you will need to sit the GAMSAT which does require knowledge of humanities, sciences and a good grasp in essay writing. The GAMSAT is very challenging, however, I think the score they require isnt as high as it is for Graduate Medicine.

There are also other options including foundation years etc. There is a course in Bradford where you can do the clinical sciences foundation year and if you achieve above 70% then you can transfer to the University of Leeds for undergraduate medicine (you must do the BMAT)

Thats all for now.
Original post by craftywizardboy
Hi everyone,

If you would like to do undergraduate medicine with a BTec in Applied Science, here is what you must do:

1. Make sure you achieve a top grade in your BTec.
2. Do A level Chemistry and, if you can, A level Biology alongside your BTec.
3. Work experience
4. Extra curricular activity etc.

There are 3 Universities that accept BTec Applied Science for undergradute medicine:
1. Bristol University - require UCAT and an A in A level Chemistry alongside the BTec in Applied Science (2016)
2. University of Exeter - require UCAT and an A level in Biology and Chemistry (they want A's in both)
3. University of Plymouth - no A level requirements. HOWEVER, you will need to sit the GAMSAT which does require knowledge of humanities, sciences and a good grasp in essay writing. The GAMSAT is very challenging, however, I think the score they require isnt as high as it is for Graduate Medicine.

There are also other options including foundation years etc. There is a course in Bradford where you can do the clinical sciences foundation year and if you achieve above 70% then you can transfer to the University of Leeds for undergraduate medicine (you must do the BMAT)

Thats all for now.

Hi there thanks for the information but you can also apply to gateway to medicine as well right like this course
MB ChB Gateway to Medicine (A108) for uni of bristol it needs no a levels and DMM in btech.
Hi there thanks for the information but you can also apply to gateway to medicine as well right like this course
MB ChB Gateway to Medicine (A108) for uni of bristol it needs no a levels and DMM in btech.

There's a stipulation about that. For the Gateway to Medicine for Bristol, it is only open to specific applicants from specific schools and/or colleges (most likely extremely underperforming schools). Alternatively, you must have spent 3 months or more in care or under the care of the Local Authority. Not any random person can simply do this course. In all honesty, doing an A level in Chemistry alongside the BTec is your best bet. Hope this helps.
Original post by rafi_99

In response to your question, you can do dental therapy and hygiene at Pourtsmouth University and if you achieve a distinction in that course, you can transfer over to Dentistry. I'm not too sure about any other University doing this.
There's a stipulation about that. For the Gateway to Medicine for Bristol, it is only open to specific applicants from specific schools and/or colleges (most likely extremely underperforming schools). Alternatively, you must have spent 3 months or more in care or under the care of the Local Authority. Not any random person can simply do this course. In all honesty, doing an A level in Chemistry alongside the BTec is your best bet. Hope this helps.

I know that and my college comes on that list(don't know if that's good or bad thing). As for your saying for doing a level in chemistry, I tried to do it but the sixth form won't take me as I was 18 and then I tried to do it privately but I couldn't find a place to do my practicals and the one I found was too far and very expensive that's how I ended up doing BTech and now the situation above.

However thanks for the advice.
Reply 7

Hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Thank you so much. I will look up what you've told me. 🙂
Reply 8
In response to your question, you can do dental therapy and hygiene at Pourtsmouth University and if you achieve a distinction in that course, you can transfer over to Dentistry. I'm not too sure about any other University doing this.

I'm so relieved because a few people told me that because dental therapy and hygiene is a job on its own so I won't be able to transfer from that to dentistry. I was so worried because I ultimately wanted to do dentistry.
Original post by rafi_99
I'm so relieved because a few people told me that because dental therapy and hygiene is a job on its own so I won't be able to transfer from that to dentistry. I was so worried because I ultimately wanted to do dentistry.

If you really want to do Dentistry, I would recommend trying to get in for Undergraduate rather than go through the Dental Hygiene route. There are many Universities that do accept the BTec - just make sure you do your research thoroughly and contact the Universities first. I wish you the best of luck in your future!
Original post by rafi_99
Thank you so much. I will look up what you've told me. 🙂

No problem .Wish you all the best. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest