Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by xsowmix)
reading this when i should be working on my activity log

Spoiler:
Show
I can't wait to finish my epq
ayo get back to work!! the feeling of completing it is pure bliss. lemme know if you need any help <3
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hope you have a good week!
xsowmix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
UPDATE!!!!(5th November 2020)
Hey guys! I have been resurrected from the dead. I am sorry for not updating this. School was getting too much for me but I am so proud for myself (and literally any other med and oxbridge applicant and even yr13s) for getting through this far into the term during such s*** times. So what I have done since my last update?

• EPQ- I have finally finished and don't ever want to think about it again. Don't get me wrong, I love the topics but I will never the willpower write a 10000 word essay on medical ethics again.
  • UCAS- Yay! I submitted it the day before my birthday (13th October) so hopefully I will some extra luck. So this was my final choices:
  1. Cambridge- Medicine
  • UCL- Medicine
  • King's- Medicine
  • Southampton- Medicine
  • St George's- Biomedical Sciences
  • I had to complete an SAQ as well for Cambridge (Basically had to write a 1200 character "essay" on why I chose Cambridge and had to disclose what topics I had covered in each subjects and how big my classes are and some other boring admin stuff)
  • Exams and Flipping Practical Write ups- Some teachers need to understand that students need something called a good mental health because for the past few weeks they have been bombarding us with so many tests (our school didn't even mocks last half term) For example, the week before half term, I had 1 chemistry test, 2 maths tests ( one on A2 Integration 🤢), 4 biology practical write ups and 2 chemistry write ups on top of homework.
  • BMAT- Literally just did this yesterday. Section 1 was actually alright, much better than I expected. Section 2 on the other hand was a different story. The timing was so difficult. I had to guess about 5 question within 40 secs. Whoever got paid to write those questions must have been having a really s*** day. However Section 3, whoever decided to write the third essay question deserves a pay rise because it was a godsend. I guess I can't talk about the actual questions till December so can't really say anything more than that but yeh hopefully my scores gets me an interview for Cambridge and UCL (UCL at least). I will only know on the 27th November and it's a school holiday for me so I will get to drown in my own tears at home. Yay! (To the many people who experienced issues with the exam. I am so sorry. There were so many things that the exam provider should have checked before giving the test out.)
I have finished all my pre-interview admissions process so all I can do is wait while teachers deliberately eat away at my mental health. Sorry this was kinda short for 2 months worth of my life but I gotta go revise for a bio test on photosynthesis and respiration for tmrw. Lockdown starts again today so hope everyone is well and safe. Till next time (whenever that will be lol) bye!

Tags:

Lil Update: Just poured hot oil over my middle finger on my right hand (I was frying some sausages). The scar is gonna be there for a long time).
Last edited by xsowmix; 8 months ago
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
well done for getting through bmat! i agree i found s2 nASty
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by mez_merising)
well done for getting through bmat! i agree i found s2 nASty
Yeh. I remember in the exam, I was missing out so many questions and I was like this shouldn't be happening. I thought I should be getting at least a few. But when I came and everyone else told me that they found it so hard, I was like yes I wasn't having a mind blank. Tbh I'm just we have all finished the preinterview part of the application. All we can do is wait. I know they sent out UCAT scores yesterday so hopefully we will can get some offers soon. (Ik Sheffield is sending out offers on the 16th)
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A2 integration is awful

Glad to hear the BMAT went okay, well done on completing it and well done for getting your UCAS sent off - best of luck :woo:

Hope you have a good weekend and get chance to relax and feel proud of yourself for everything you have completed :hugs:
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
A2 integration is awful

Glad to hear the BMAT went okay, well done on completing it and well done for getting your UCAS sent off - best of luck :woo:

Hope you have a good weekend and get chance to relax and feel proud of yourself for everything you have completed :hugs:
Thanks. Hope you're having a good weekend too. (I literally have be in front of the front of the tv watching cnn all day) How is your UCAS going? :hugs:
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks. Hope you're having a good weekend too. (I literally have be in front of the front of the tv watching cnn all day) How is your UCAS going? :hugs:
Honestly, not great I am really struggling with my personal statement, which means I can't send my application off which is kind of annoying :eek:
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
Honestly, not great I am really struggling with my personal statement, which means I can't send my application off which is kind of annoying :eek:
Ik. At least you're in this position way before the deadline. I literally finished my ps the week before Oct 15th. All I can say is that it does take time and it is the best feeling when you have finished it
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm so happy that you have a gyg blog :party:

and good luck
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
I'm so happy that you have a gyg blog :party:

and good luck
Thank you. I am guessing you're at uni now. How's it going?
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you. I am guessing you're at uni now. How's it going?
nah SQA and my school screwed me over
Spoiler:
Show
now I'm reapplying on my gap year
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
nah SQA and my school screwed me over
Spoiler:
Show
now I'm reapplying on my gap year
Oh I'm really sorry about that. I guess you put your UCAS in. Was it as stressful as last time?

Spoiler:
Show
You will get in.
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh I'm really sorry about that. I guess you put your UCAS in. Was it as stressful as last time?

Spoiler:
Show
You will get in.
yes and no.
yes - no support from my school now and all my med and non med friends are at uni

funnily my UCAT went down and up at the same time:

Spoiler:
Show
VR 620
DM 590
QR 690
AR 660
SJT band 1
AVERAGE 640

VR 669
DM 690
QR 690
AR 620
SJT band 3
AVERAGE 665
Spoiler:
Show
like last year I was like I am going to get an offer but this year its more like I am going to get rejected

no - oddly more relaxing from last year like I kinda now when to hear back from unis and what to expect

Spoiler:
Show
:shakehand: nbhftcgvihijonm you are too nice
xsowmix
Rep:
?
You guys already know what courses I have applied to but this is more for me to track all my applications.

Applied: 12/10/2020
UCAT: 710 Band 2
BMAT: 5 4.8 3.5A
GCSEs: 99988887766A*B
Predicted A-Levels: A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry, Biology. Didn't get a predicted for my EPQ but it doesn't really affect my offers if I get any.

University of Cambridge (Downing College) / A100
Date: 12/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 20/10/2020 | Reply: SAQ Acknowledgement
Date: 03/12/2020 | Reply: Rejection

UCL / A100
Date: 14/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 06/01/2021 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: 17/02/2021 | Reply: Conditional Offer (A*AA)

King's / A100
Date: 13/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 12/02/2021 | Reply: Rejection

Southampton / A100
Date: 13/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 06/01/2021 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

St George's / B940
Date: 22/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 17/12/2020 | Reply: Conditional Offer (ABB)

I know there's a thread for this but I didn't really want to put it on there so I'm putting it here. I will update this as I get updates from my unis.
Tags:
Last edited by xsowmix; 5 months ago
username3902894
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
whoo downing med gang! did you get sent a fee status form to fill in?
username3902894
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
we’re also applying to the same med unis ahhh - so nervous ab when they’ll start sending out interview invites
xsowmix
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaGorl)
whoo downing med gang! did you get sent a fee status form to fill in?
yeh why was it only for med applicants?

(Original post by YaGorl)
we’re also applying to the same med unis ahhh - so nervous ab when they’ll start sending out interview invites
someone on TSR thinks king's should be sending them out very soon so I have frantically checking my email. (an unhealthy amount lol)
username3902894
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yeh why was it only for med applicants?

someone on TSR thinks king's should be sending them out very soon so I have frantically checking my email. (an unhealthy amount lol)
no idea/ maybe bc intl places are capped idk tho.
me too loll terrifying honestly, wish they gave us a date it would be announced instead of having us check everyday lol.
have u started interview prep? idk if i should start after invites come out or if i should be doing stuff now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads