GCSE English books

Watch
srb_16
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I’ll be going to year 10 in September and I wanted to buy some revision guides. Are the CGP or York notes ones good for power and conflict poetry and Jane eyre?
anjali.078
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by srb_16)
Hey, I’ll be going to year 10 in September and I wanted to buy some revision guides. Are the CGP or York notes ones good for power and conflict poetry and Jane eyre?
york notes are such good study guides. its also helpful to watch movie adaptations of the book youre studying in ur free time
aaa24
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by srb_16)
Hi there - I do Jane but instead of power and conflict I do love and relationships, I personally have the hodder education study and revise guides for both of them and a york notes one for Jane.

I would actually recommend getting the hodder education one for Jane over the york notes as the analysis is more in depth whereas the york notes is a little more concise and acts more like a summary of all the events and themes etc (but its also more colourful and has a nicer layout!) If you can I would actually get both as since this is english, its useful to see alternative interpretations and both include different ideas which is really useful to include in essays. Whilst the hodder education one offers really great in-depth points, the york notes one is great to refresh your memory of everything that happens.

From what I've heard, the cgp guides for poetry are quite popular as it goes through the entire poem line by line. (But I would avoid cgp for Jane!)
Ultimately its up to you but my teacher personally recommended these 3! (If you would like I can send a picture of a page so you can get a better idea) Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions (I'm just going into year 11 so I might not be able to answer all of them but I'll try!) x

Edit: also don't forget there are loads of resources/websites online (sparknotes, youtube videos etc) and also for revision resources in general ask you teachers too as they'll know which ones are worth using!
Last edited by aaa24; 1 year ago
srb_16
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by aaa24)
Hi there - I do Jane but instead of power and conflict I do love and relationships, I personally have the hodder education study and revise guides for both of them and a york notes one for Jane.

I would actually recommend getting the hodder education one for Jane over the york notes as the analysis is more in depth whereas the york notes is a little more concise and acts more like a summary of all the events and themes etc (but its also more colourful and has a nicer layout!) If you can I would actually get both as since this is english, its useful to see alternative interpretations and both include different ideas which is really useful to include in essays. Whilst the hodder education one offers really great in-depth points, the york notes one is great to refresh your memory of everything that happens.

From what I've heard, the cgp guides for poetry are quite popular as it goes through the entire poem line by line. (But I would avoid cgp for Jane!)
Ultimately its up to you but my teacher personally recommended these 3! (If you would like I can send a picture of a page so you can get a better idea) Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions (I'm just going into year 11 so I might not be able to answer all of them but I'll try!) x

Edit: also don't forget there are loads of resources/websites online (sparknotes, youtube videos etc) and also for revision resources in general ask you teachers too as they'll know which ones are worth using!
Hi, thanks a lot!
Would it be convenient for you to share a picture of one of the pages from the hodder education one, as I can't find it online?
aaa24
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  138.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  187.6 KBHope that’s useful - let me know if you u need any more help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.9%
October 2021 (193)
45.95%
November 2021 (43)
10.24%
December 2021 (56)
13.33%
January 2021 (46)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.29%