Black man in Wisconsin remains in hospital after being shot by the police.

Watch
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/J-PK8t8vtSM
Your thoughts? (I don't know how to add a content warning)

WARNING: some people might find the video very distressing and I am sorry if I broke any TSR rules that wasn't my intention I just wanted to share this event. Thanks
Last edited by 1st superstar; 1 month ago
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In before the usual suspects turn up to claim he posed a clear risk to the the brave police officers and had to be put him down.
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Calibrated.)
In before the usual suspects turn up to claim he posed a clear risk to the the brave police officers and had to be put him down.
Are you saying this because you refuse to hear opposing views? Or because you refuse to look at the whole picture?

https://heavy.com/news/2020/08/jacob-blake/

Spoiler:
Show
The Wisconsin police officer fired seven shots that appeared directed at extremely close range into Blake’s back as Blake bent into a car, the graphic video shows. The August 23 video captures the sound of seven gunshots. It appears that the officer opens fire while holding the back of the man’s shirt. You can watch the video below, but be forewarned that it is very graphic. It’s not yet known whether Blake had a weapon or had access to one; it’s also not known what words were exchanged, if any, before the shooting.

[...]

The two officers seen in the video are on leave. Their names have not yet been released. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is investigating. A GoFundMe page to help Blake has raised more than $130,000.

[...]

Kenosha police have released very few details about how the shooting unfolded. Here’s the full statement released by Kenosha police about the August 23 shooting:

At 5:11 p.m. Kenosha Police Officers were sent to the 2800 block of 40th Street for a domestic incident and were involved in an officer involved shooting.

Officers provided immediate aid to the person. The person was transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital, Milwaukee. The person is in serious condition.

Kenosha Sheriff’s Department and Wisconsin State Patrol were requested immediately so that the scene could be turned over to an agency, other than Kenosha Police.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice (D.O.J.), Division of Criminal Investigation (D.C.I.) will be investigating this officer involved shooting. Further media releases will come directly from D.C.I. Inquiries should be directed to [email protected] s

[...]

According to Wisconsin Circuit Court Access online records, a Jacob S. Blake, same age and with an address in the same block where the shooting occurred, had a warrant issued for him on July 7 on pending accusations of misdemeanor criminal trespass to a dwelling with domestic abuse as a modifier; felony third-degree sexual assault with domestic abuse as a modifier; and misdemeanor disorderly conduct with domestic abuse as a modifier. A support action was dismissed, and the only other case that comes up is for not having a driver’s license.

A 2015 story in Racine Eye described how “Racine police say K9 Dozer had to help officers take a man into custody when the man refused to go quietly into custody after he pulled a gun at a local bar.” The man was described as Jacob Blake, 24, of Racine, which makes him the same age as the man shot by police on August 23. The Racine Eye story said he was charged with “one felony count of resisting arrest causing a soft tissue injury to a police officer and one misdemeanor count each of carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, endangering safety-use of a dangerous weapon, and disorderly conduct.” Those charges don’t show up on the circuit court website though.

That story further alleged, “Blake and two women were at the Brass Monkey tavern, 1436 Junction Avenue, Saturday when Blake got into an argument with another patron and pulled a black handgun. Blake pointed the gun at the other man, and the magazine fell to the floor. The bartender told Blake to leave, and he did but then pointed the gun through the window at patrons inside the bar before walking south on Junction Avenue.”

Police stopped Blake in a “high risk traffic stop” but he “exited the SUV and started walking toward officers and ignored commands to get down on the ground,” the story said. That’s when officers forced him to the ground and used a K9 when he kept resisting, the story added.

[...]

So in future, refrain from these petty games of one-upping.
Calibrated.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Occitanie)

https://heavy.com/news/2020/08/jacob-blake/

Spoiler:
Show
The Wisconsin police officer fired seven shots that appeared directed at extremely close range into Blake’s back as Blake bent into a car, the graphic video shows. The August 23 video captures the sound of seven gunshots. It appears that the officer opens fire while holding the back of the man’s shirt. You can watch the video below, but be forewarned that it is very graphic. It’s not yet known whether Blake had a weapon or had access to one; it’s also not known what words were exchanged, if any, before the shooting.

[...]

The two officers seen in the video are on leave. Their names have not yet been released. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is investigating. A GoFundMe page to help Blake has raised more than $130,000.

[...]

Kenosha police have released very few details about how the shooting unfolded. Here’s the full statement released by Kenosha police about the August 23 shooting:

At 5:11 p.m. Kenosha Police Officers were sent to the 2800 block of 40th Street for a domestic incident and were involved in an officer involved shooting.

Officers provided immediate aid to the person. The person was transported via Flight for Life to Froedtert Hospital, Milwaukee. The person is in serious condition.

Kenosha Sheriff’s Department and Wisconsin State Patrol were requested immediately so that the scene could be turned over to an agency, other than Kenosha Police.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice (D.O.J.), Division of Criminal Investigation (D.C.I.) will be investigating this officer involved shooting. Further media releases will come directly from D.C.I. Inquiries should be directed to [email protected] s

[...]

According to Wisconsin Circuit Court Access online records, a Jacob S. Blake, same age and with an address in the same block where the shooting occurred, had a warrant issued for him on July 7 on pending accusations of misdemeanor criminal trespass to a dwelling with domestic abuse as a modifier; felony third-degree sexual assault with domestic abuse as a modifier; and misdemeanor disorderly conduct with domestic abuse as a modifier. A support action was dismissed, and the only other case that comes up is for not having a driver’s license.

A 2015 story in Racine Eye described how “Racine police say K9 Dozer had to help officers take a man into custody when the man refused to go quietly into custody after he pulled a gun at a local bar.” The man was described as Jacob Blake, 24, of Racine, which makes him the same age as the man shot by police on August 23. The Racine Eye story said he was charged with “one felony count of resisting arrest causing a soft tissue injury to a police officer and one misdemeanor count each of carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, endangering safety-use of a dangerous weapon, and disorderly conduct.” Those charges don’t show up on the circuit court website though.

That story further alleged, “Blake and two women were at the Brass Monkey tavern, 1436 Junction Avenue, Saturday when Blake got into an argument with another patron and pulled a black handgun. Blake pointed the gun at the other man, and the magazine fell to the floor. The bartender told Blake to leave, and he did but then pointed the gun through the window at patrons inside the bar before walking south on Junction Avenue.”

Police stopped Blake in a “high risk traffic stop” but he “exited the SUV and started walking toward officers and ignored commands to get down on the ground,” the story said. That’s when officers forced him to the ground and used a K9 when he kept resisting, the story added.

[...]

None of that provides a compelling case that the shooting was in any way justified.

Are you saying this because you refuse to hear opposing views? Or because you refuse to look at the whole picture?
Don't put words into people's mouths. It is dishonest.
Last edited by Calibrated.; 1 month ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Tbh I think that it was wrong of him to try and get in the car and avoid the police...
_Wellies_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another police shooting and another round of fuzzy attempts to justify it.
_Wellies_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is ironic that you are trying to scold someone.

While doing the very same thing yourself. Here's a life lesson for you: people in glass houses should not throw stones.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Wellies_)

While doing the very same thing yourself. Here's a life lesson for you: people in glass houses should not throw stones.
Meaning?

UPDATE: 2 days later still no response :bandit:
UPDATE 2: 4 days and counting...
UPDATE 3: 1 week and counting
Last edited by 1st superstar; 4 weeks ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Also I don't think that the shooting was completely justified.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
https://youtu.be/J-PK8t8vtSM
Your thoughts? (I don't know how to add a content warning)
As I said several times before:

Be interested in stats, not in incidents.

White people get shot by the police everyday, and it hardly ever hits the news.
I agree, it's excessive there were several shots, but the American police is pretty (un)famous for emptying their magazines at anyone, regardless of skin color.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 1 month ago
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
None of that provides a compelling case that the shooting was in any way justified.

Don't put words into people's mouths. It is dishonest.
Nor does it suggest it wasn't justified either, hence why it's important to wait before passing comment or, indeed, burning and looting. All we have is a short clip, with next to no context.

What do you mean 'Don't put words into people's mouths'?! Your mouth?!? How have I done that... you made a sneering comment towards me and others on TSR and I called you out on it...

By all accounts, Blake could have been armed, because he was armed in the past. Have you any remote idea of how the police carried out this stop or were briefed? NO - nor do I for that matter - no one ****ING knows.

If it's proven to be a completely unjustifiable use of lethal force, then BY ALL MEANS COME AND MOCK ME ALL YOU ****ING WANT.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Wellies_)

I'm not afraid of criticism, nor do I cower from it. If I am justifiably criticised, I take it on the chin and move on, and I welcome constructive criticism in all its shapes and forms, as well as intelligent and polite discourse.

What I cannot accept is a pathetic and cowardly sneer whilst avoiding direct and open communication with whomever you're criticising. To then claim 'dishonesty' is bewildering.

If you're willing to push out sneers, you're willing to hear a response.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oof, not the nicest video in the world. That being said, why on earth would you duck back into a car with guns on you?! Literally one of the first things you hear from police is no sudden movements, least of all reaching for things - hell its taught in ever cop show there is.

Either way, shooting someone in the back, less than good.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oof, not the nicest video in the world. That being said, why on earth would you duck back into a car with guns on you?! Literally one of the first things you hear from police is no sudden movements, least of all reaching for things - hell its taught in ever cop show there is.

That's it!

Police don't know you or anything about besides what's been briefed to them. If you start making sudden movements or if you stop listening to them, what do you think they'll be thinking?

That's precisely why police by consent works in the UK.

Point 3:

To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.

Point 4:

To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.

Something I think the Americans should really consider.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)

Honestly I somewhat agree. If only guns were banned in America I feel like things would be better. I feel like whenever a BAME person gets stops people are now going to say "It'S iNsTiTuTiOnAlIsEd RaCiSm!" regardless of whether the person posed a threat or not... Oh well. Either way though in my opinion I think that there is some racism and sexism within the USA and UK police force and justice system.
Last edited by 1st superstar; 1 month ago
blueIivesftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Jacob Blake broke up the fight between two women in Kenosha Wisconsin, the cops showed up and realized he had a warrant, tried to arrest him and it escalated from there. The two women fighting are the same ones from the incident at the bar.

Name:  blake.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  127.2 KBName:  blake2.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  71.1 KB
JWatch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure it's that simple. He did seem to be refusing instructions and trying to walk away from the officers, the question is whether those actions put the officers in enough fear for their safety that they were justified in shooting him? I don't feel I know enough about policing in the US to properly answer that. Something to remember is that US police probably have to assume that everybody they stop might have a gun. So if a suspect is uncooperative and then tries quickly getting to their car, that could make officers worry about whether there is a weapon in the car he's trying to access. Although he seemed to be in handcuffs, and that would make it less likely he could do anything.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blueIivesftw)
Jacob Blake broke up the fight between two women in Kenosha Wisconsin, the cops showed up and realized he had a warrant, tried to arrest him and it escalated from there. The two women fighting are the same ones from the incident at the bar.

Name:  blake.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  127.2 KBName:  blake2.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  71.1 KB
Clearly a violent individual who possibly could have been armed, if the story about him pointing a gun at a bar is true.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)

Exactly, yes he didn’t follow instructions but the police were called because 2 white women were fighting. Why did they *ignore* the ppl they were called for, focus on the black man trying to be amicable and then shoot him 7 times in the back, now he’s paralysed from the waist down. 💔

They had no right to point guns at him because he didn’t do anything! That is why he got frustrated. He just wanted to leave cuz he didn’t do anything.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Clearly a violent individual who possibly could have been armed, if the story about him pointing a gun at a bar is true.
This is a texas sharpshooter fallacy. Yes he’s dangerous now that we’re aware of these facts but the police very obviously did NOT know all of this when they paralysed this mam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads