The Student Room Group

Going back to uni after mental health crisis

I’m going into my second year of a physics degree in September. As I’m starting to think about the new year I’m getting very worried as I don’t get on that well with my tutor and the last time he heard from or of me was when I had a serious mental breakdown and then was hospitalised for a couple of months. We emailed once or twice during that period to sort out exam exemptions etc but I’m really worried about my beginning of yr meeting when Ill be sat in his office for half an hr talking about courses. I *want* to act as if nothing ever happened and when he starts of with “how are you” just say “fine thanks how are you can I take these modules please thanks bye” but I just don’t know whether I should even mention the circumstances we last met. I don’t want to be discriminated against and not be allowed to take hard courses in case he thinks it’ll push me over the edge or whatever even though I’m genuinely quite well rn. But obviously it’s a very uncomfortable conversation to have and I feel I owe him an explanation because my crisis happened less then 6 hrs after our meeting that I said I was completely fine during, but then I also feel I don’t owe him anything.
I’m worried the meeting will feel like “the elephant in the room” and I don’t know if anyone else has been in this situation and has advice on how open or not I should be??
Original post by Anonymous
I’m going into my second year of a physics degree in September. As I’m starting to think about the new year I’m getting very worried as I don’t get on that well with my tutor and the last time he heard from or of me was when I had a serious mental breakdown and tried to kms then was hospitalised for a couple of months. We emailed once or twice during that period to sort out exam exemptions etc but I’m really worried about my beginning of yr meeting when Ill be sat in his office for half an hr talking about courses. I *want* to act as if nothing ever happened and when he starts of with “how are you” just say “fine thanks how are you can I take these modules please thanks bye” but I just don’t know whether I should even mention the circumstances we last met. I don’t want to be discriminated against and not be allowed to take hard courses in case he thinks it’ll push me over the edge or whatever even though I’m genuinely quite well rn. But obviously it’s a very uncomfortable conversation to have and I feel I owe him an explanation because my crisis happened less then 6 hrs after our meeting that I said I was completely fine during, but then I also feel I don’t owe him anything.
I’m worried the meeting will feel like “the elephant in the room” and I don’t know if anyone else has been in this situation and has advice on how open or not I should be??

Are you actually better and ready to go back?
Have you dealt with the issues that caused the breakdown?
I suggest you enrol with the unis health services and talk it through with them then they can talk you through it or if needs be support any claim to have a change in supervisor. Its not clear what the supervisor has done wrong?

It would seem a bit in denial for you to pretend nothing has happened, so you should be prepared to discuss it as they may be concerned about your welfare and want to avoid you getting into the same situation. Once they have some reassurance, then go in with a few notes about preferred modules etc and what you wish to do.
Not sure why it would be such a big issue, unless theres a health and safety risk? By dealing with the issue at the beginning you give the impression you have it under control imo.
I’m going into my second year of a physics degree in September. As I’m starting to think about the new year I’m getting very worried as I don’t get on that well with my tutor and the last time he heard from or of me was when I had a serious mental breakdown and then was hospitalised for a couple of months. We emailed once or twice during that period to sort out exam exemptions etc but I’m really worried about my beginning of yr meeting when Ill be sat in his office for half an hr talking about courses. I *want* to act as if nothing ever happened and when he starts of with “how are you” just say “fine thanks how are you can I take these modules please thanks bye” but I just don’t know whether I should even mention the circumstances we last met. I don’t want to be discriminated against and not be allowed to take hard courses in case he thinks it’ll push me over the edge or whatever even though I’m genuinely quite well rn. But obviously it’s a very uncomfortable conversation to have and I feel I owe him an explanation because my crisis happened less then 6 hrs after our meeting that I said I was completely fine during, but then I also feel I don’t owe him anything.

To add to the above from Tigger, it's important to remember that most academics won't have serious MH training and it's not in their job description or core skill set to get you "better". All they can really do is keep an eye on you, point you at the university support services and help with things like mit circumstances paperwork and exam extensions if required. For this reason it's really important that (1) you are actually ready to come back and (2) you are honest with your tutor about your health - which means you have to be brutally honest with yourself as well. They will be bound by quite specific confidentially rules and can't do their bit in helping to get support for you if you don't ask for it.
Reply 3
do you have another lecturer you can trust/talk to who you can share your concerns with? if you talk to someone you already get on with, perhaps they can ease your mind and direct you in how to arrange for a different personal tutor. it doesn't seem like such an unreasonable request if it's that uncomfortable.

i would bet tho the last thing your personal tutor wants is to have an uncomfortable meeting and will do whatever it takes to ensure it doesn't happen. just whatever you do do, do not avoid their emails or the meeting. i was in a very similar situation to you myself and can say avoiding the meeting did not turn out so well as they start to worry.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Are you actually better and ready to go back?
Have you dealt with the issues that caused the breakdown?
I suggest you enrol with the unis health services and talk it through with them then they can talk you through it or if needs be support any claim to have a change in supervisor. Its not clear what the supervisor has done wrong?

It would seem a bit in denial for you to pretend nothing has happened, so you should be prepared to discuss it as they may be concerned about your welfare and want to avoid you getting into the same situation. Once they have some reassurance, then go in with a few notes about preferred modules etc and what you wish to do.
Not sure why it would be such a big issue, unless theres a health and safety risk? By dealing with the issue at the beginning you give the impression you have it under control imo.

Yeah, I'm in a relatively good state of health now. I'm on medication and have treatment and I do feel ready to go back. My supervisor hasn't done anything wrong; it's just we never really 'clicked', i know other people who talk to their supervisors about personal stuff and are comfortable going to them when they're struggling, but that's never been my experience, he's quite awkward and i'm quite awkward so we never really talk about anything other than course enrollments etc.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
To add to the above from Tigger, it's important to remember that most academics won't have serious MH training and it's not in their job description or core skill set to get you "better". All they can really do is keep an eye on you, point you at the university support services and help with things like mit circumstances paperwork and exam extensions if required. For this reason it's really important that (1) you are actually ready to come back and (2) you are honest with your tutor about your health - which means you have to be brutally honest with yourself as well. They will be bound by quite specific confidentially rules and can't do their bit in helping to get support for you if you don't ask for it.

I don't need them to help 'get me better' in the sense that I already have help from mental health services, I'm registered disabled with student disability service, the only issue that he is partly responsible for my 'academic wellbeing' in a sense, and I don't feel he really understands me that well, but that's because i've never talked to him properly and the *only* information he has about my mental health is reports from welfare etc of the latest stuff that's gone on so I feel he just never knows what to say to me and I dunno what to say to him. i think he would be a good supervisor if i did engage with him but i find it difficult to talk to academics

Original post by Joleee
do you have another lecturer you can trust/talk to who you can share your concerns with? if you talk to someone you already get on with, perhaps they can ease your mind and direct you in how to arrange for a different personal tutor. it doesn't seem like such an unreasonable request if it's that uncomfortable.

i would bet tho the last thing your personal tutor wants is to have an uncomfortable meeting and will do whatever it takes to ensure it doesn't happen. just whatever you do do, do not avoid their emails or the meeting. i was in a very similar situation to you myself and can say avoiding the meeting did not turn out so well as they start to worry.

i do get on with some other lecturers and stuff who i am more open with and know i have problems with my mental health, but everyone is so busy rn prepping for new semester and stuff and i dunno how i'd just email them. i'll wait until my tutor emails me like he always does at beginning of semester to organise meeting time for course options.

thank you folks though!
Yeah, I'm in a relatively good state of health now. I'm on medication and have treatment and I do feel ready to go back. My supervisor hasn't done anything wrong; it's just we never really 'clicked', i know other people who talk to their supervisors about personal stuff and are comfortable going to them when they're struggling, but that's never been my experience, he's quite awkward and i'm quite awkward so we never really talk about anything other than course enrollments etc.

I wrote quite a long answer 3 days ago and the browser crashed taking the answer with it. Didnt have the heart to rewrite as it took me an hour to think about and finish. I thought I would have come back to it sooner, but have now lost my train of thought, so you will have to do with a quick answer.

As Mr Wednesday has pointed out, many arent trained and as far as I know the department kind of just shares them out amongst the teaching staff and they are your persona link to the department. They may not have the role of mentor, more of distant overseer. It depends on the uni.

Just because you feel awkward, then I dont think that is a good enough reason to need a swap. The lecturer might feel awkward as well, but in other areas they could be highly competent in their expertise and in giving advice to help you navigate the dpeartment.

My suggestion is because you are feeling awkward and the lecturer may be awkward then write a one page letter, which is a summary of your situation and explains the following.

1. Who you are when and why you left.
2.. What happened at home- see GP, diagnosis and treatment taken.
3. Recovery and current medical condition plus readiness to study.
4. What you have done since back such as registering with support services and strategy explain to avoid repeat.
5.. How you see your studies and what you are intending to do to make sure they are protected. Any catch up you did although I realise it could be a repeat year.
6. That should get you up to date.
7. Add in your hopes on how to use him as tutor to inform him whats happening with studies but to pick their brains and take advice whether they can see any fault with your plan and for a point of contact if you hit any bumps.
8. You can also ask for suggestions in improvement.
9. You agree to updates maybe twice a term? Mid term and end of term.

About a page would do and once they have read that they are up to date, it will only take them 5-10 ins- nobody feels awkward and its in a medium they know without having to ask questions and they have all the info where they can give answers.
It will also mean they can then engage in conversation where they know whats happening and just fill in the gaps, because you have put most of it down on paper.

That is what I would do in your situation and you would hopefully
Bypass the awkwardness,
built up some form of relationship
Got them up to speed.
Received input.from lecturer.
Didnt have to flounder in the interview.
Had the reassurance they knew everything and built some sort of rapport so you could worry less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending