Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have just applied to these subjects in sixth form:
-Business Btec (takes up 2 A-Levels)
-History A-Level
is it okay if I only do these 2, or does it limit me?
would I be able to do law/international law or economics at university with these?
if not can someone suggest some subjects that would allow me to do that or just generally open doors for me

my other options could be
-History
-Economics
-Sociology
is this combination better?
Thank you
Last edited by 61818; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 61818)
-History A-Level
would I be able to do law/international law or economics at university with these?
if not can someone suggest some subjects that would allow me to do that or just generally open doors for me

-History
-Economics
-Sociology
Thank you
Law yes as there are no subject requirements, although some of the elite unis might have an issue.
Economics yes, although some of the more competitive unis require maths A level.

You need to look at subjects , look at what interests you and you can get the best grades with least effort.

Try these.
Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advic...-level-choices

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 61818)
-History A-Level

-History
-Economics
-Sociology
Thank you
I think doing 3 a levels will look good especially for top unis
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Law yes as there are no subject requirements, although some of the elite unis might have an issue.
Economics yes, although some of the more competitive unis require maths A level.

You need to look at subjects , look at what interests you and you can get the best grades with least effort.

Try these.
Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advic...-level-choices

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Thank you for linking these websites they're really helpful.

So do you think taking my second possible combination is better? (History, Economics and Sociology and maybe Arabic as an extra one)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 61818)

So do you think taking my second possible combination is better? (History, Economics and Sociology and maybe Arabic as an extra one)
Yes but its all about your best three grades.
The 4thb A level has limited value unless one of the 3 goes wrong, its maths, you can cope easily with the 3.
Rep:
?
(Original post by royalty1702)
I think doing 3 a levels will look good especially for top unis
Yea, I'm considering changing to history, economics and sociology
or history, btec business and arabic
Last edited by 61818; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 61818)

Hi!

I would recommend that History, economics and sociology would be a great combination. You are covering a variety of bases here, I took history sociology and English and therefore there were a lot of essays, but economics (whilst a difficult subject) may be a nice change from the heavy essay-based other subjects. This combination can lead to a number of different job opportunities and degree choices so I would suggest this instead of business, unless you are really set on business of course!

Sophie - Official Student Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I would recommend that History, economics and sociology would be a great combination. You are covering a variety of bases here, I took history sociology and English and therefore there were a lot of essays, but economics (whilst a difficult subject) may be a nice change from the heavy essay-based other subjects. This combination can lead to a number of different job opportunities and degree choices so I would suggest this instead of business, unless you are really set on business of course!

Thank you so much for your advice I actually really appreciate it. I just emailed my school asking to change my subjects to History, Sociology and Economics. I only chose business because I didn't know what else to do but now I think it's better for me to do the other subjects instead.
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

(Original post by 61818)
Thank you so much for your advice I actually really appreciate it. I just emailed my school asking to change my subjects to History, Sociology and Economics. I only chose business because I didn't know what else to do but now I think it's better for me to do the other subjects instead.
Hey, so I just got an email from my school saying that economics and sociology are full
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.26%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (240)
30.89%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.16%

Watched Threads