0%
DUP (0)
0%
Mattmars
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If there was an election today, which party would you vote for?
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has disappointed me tbf :lol:. I’d probably spoil the ballot.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Labour
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely none of them are fit for purpose.

Conservatives have absolutely shagged up with Covid19 and Brexit, and I wouldn’t vote for Labour in my lifetime.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why is there no soiled ballot option?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Because it isn’t very hygienic.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Because it isn’t very hygienic.
An awkward autocorrect but i stand by the point it being by sovereign right to wipe my ass with the political parties of the day.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What about the Monster Raving Loony Party?
Mattmars
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I have grappled with this when thinking about proportional representation. It would make a vote more meaningful by depriving parties of a higher vote share, and would demonstrate discontent with current politics. However, what would happen if none of the above won an election? Apart from mob rule, the only option would be to call a further election, defeating the concept of this option. While fptp suits the main two parties, this is an issue unlikely to confront us in the future, but definitely is food for thought.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Absolutely none of them are fit for purpose.

Conservatives have absolutely shagged up with Covid19 and Brexit, and I wouldn’t vote for Labour in my lifetime.
Why? Why are you so bigoted you would/could never vote labour? Even if you knew in your head that's the nest thing to do for the country?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
An awkward autocorrect but i stand by the point it being by sovereign right to wipe my ass with the political parties of the day.
made me laugh

In seriousness though, what good would a vote of no confidence do? I've always as a younger man, faught to have a "non of the above box", but what good could come from it in reality?
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Why? Why are you so bigoted you would/could never vote labour? Even if you knew in your head that's the nest thing to do for the country?
Because I cannot stand the spend spend spend approach and chucking money aimlessly at the welfare state. For what it’s worth, if they actually came up with a coherent plan for what they offer then I might think twice. I do also think that Starmer is a hell of a lot more electable than Boris.

I do think Labour will get in in a couple of years time. Once Boris completely ****s up Brexit, which he will (and that’s not me getting into another Brexit debate with you) I think at that point Starmer will get a majority.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
made me laugh

In seriousness though, what good would a vote of no confidence do? I've always as a younger man, faught to have a "non of the above box", but what good could come from it in reality?
Little, its more of a moral stand point to be honest. After all, whilst i feel everyone should have to vote i dont think they should have to vote for any of the corrupt little floaters that call themselves our "representatives". Spoiling the ballot being a rather inoffensive way of doing this.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Because I cannot stand the spend spend spend approach and chucking money aimlessly at the welfare state. For what it’s worth, if they actually came up with a coherent plan for what they offer then I might think twice. I do also think that Starmer is a hell of a lot more electable than Boris.

I do think Labour will get in in a couple of years time. Once Boris completely ****s up Brexit, which he will (and that’s not me getting into another Brexit debate with you) I think at that point Starmer will get a majority.
hope you are correct but I don't think you are. I'm not interested in another brexit merry go round, the Tories will do what the Tories do best and that's mess up and ruin the country for the benifit of the elite few. That's what they do, that's what they have always done.

I'd like to remind you we really have new labour 2.0 in power at the moment, regards spend and borrow. The history of the conservative party and debt isnt as rosy as you might think, the reality of debt is its dependence on a balance between income and expenditure! It's the income bit that most people from political positions like yourself miss.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Little, its more of a moral stand point to be honest. After all, whilst i feel everyone should have to vote i dont think they should have to vote for any of the corrupt little floaters that call themselves our "representatives". Spoiling the ballot being a rather inoffensive way of doing this.
Oh I understand why you wish to do this, the sane reason I wanted it for years. However if me and you can agree on anything regards what Brexit has taught us, it's likely to be it's not the best idea to include options which are based in idealism which could cause mass issues, to which there is no plan to sort out? A no confidence vote majority or even high percentage could have huge impact on our political constitution, and be used by unscrupulous people for toxic ideology.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 4 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Napp Edit to above.

I don't disagree with you, I just dont see a no confidence vote being a viable answer, do I have a answer or better solution to quote, absolutely not.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Conservative.

Boris has been less inane than expected, has not caved on the level playing field yet and Starmer has not sold me yet. Thus I see no reason to remove the current government.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hope you are correct but I don't think you are. I'm not interested in another brexit merry go round, the Tories will do what the Tories do best and that's mess up and ruin the country for the benifit of the elite few. That's what they do, that's what they have always done.

Which has been my point from the start, this whole process will make the elite richer while the poor will get poorer.

I'd like to remind you we really have new labour 2.0 in power at the moment, regards spend and borrow. The history of the conservative party and debt isnt as rosy as you might think, the reality of debt is its dependence on a balance between income and expenditure! It's the income bit that most people from political positions like yourself miss.

Spend and borrow had to happen, and it would have happened under a Labour government, I am aware of that. However, I don’t agree with large spending and I don’t agree with, no matter how much money it saves, Rishi’s lunchtime specials. On a side note how a prime minister can kickstart a national weight loss campaign while his chancellor is giving away high fat, high calorie food for next to nothing is beyond me.
Answers in quotes again. I don’t necessarily disagree with you this time...
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Conservative (although would be holding my nose)

I'm a Starmer fan and have been quite impressed with his leadership of the Labour Party, however I want to see some finite policies and steel before he will fully earn my vote anytime soon..
7xm2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why isn't there a good libertarian party like the Liberal party (not Lib Dem)as I hate Labour and Tories, just power hungry bureacrats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads