The Student Room Group

EPQ VS AS maths

I'm going into sixth form next year and I don't know whether to take epq or as maths. I'm taking geography, drama and psychology. At GCSE I got an 8 in maths, but I don't know if it will be too hard. On the other hand I have been trying to think of an epq topic all summer and I haven't thought of anything that really interests me at all and I feel like maths would maybe be a break from my 3 essay based subjects. But is EPQ more beneficial? I think I want to take some kind of business at uni so maths could be really good to have, but I need advice!!
If you are planning to apply to top-tier unis like Oxbridge,UCL,LSE,IMPERIAL then I would recommend that you choose A Level Maths.EPQ is just a plus point not in level of importance such unis will give to A level Maths. Good luck in choosing whats best for you!
Original post by not_thriving
I'm going into sixth form next year and I don't know whether to take epq or as maths. I'm taking geography, drama and psychology. At GCSE I got an 8 in maths, but I don't know if it will be too hard. On the other hand I have been trying to think of an epq topic all summer and I haven't thought of anything that really interests me at all and I feel like maths would maybe be a break from my 3 essay based subjects. But is EPQ more beneficial? I think I want to take some kind of business at uni so maths could be really good to have, but I need advice!!

It depends on the course you'll be applying to. If there's any sort of maths involved then I would say Maths, and the full A level would be even better. However, If you're applying for a course more on the Arts side, EPQ could be more useful if it's related to the topic that you're applying to.
Original post by not_thriving

Hmm maybe don't do an epq if you can't think of a topic. You should feel interested and really passionate about your chosen topic otherwise you're not going to be motivated to complete it. And since it's pretty much an independent thing, you need to be really motivated to push yourself to just get on with it. Depending on what you do on your EPQ it is going to be pretty much essay based (unless you're doing an artefact in which case shorter essay).

Some unis will give you a reduced offer by 1 grade (so ABB rather than AAB etc.) if you get an A in your EPQ, it'll say on their entry requirements for the course page. It might be a good talking point in a university interview if you are going to get interviewed for your course.

AS levels are kinda losing their importance tbh but as you said, might be a break from your more essay based subjects.

Hope that helps :nyan:
Original post by neko no basu
Hmm maybe don't do an epq if you can't think of a topic. You should feel interested and really passionate about your chosen topic otherwise you're not going to be motivated to complete it.

The first few weeks of an EPQ are, however, figuring out what topic to base it on. I went into an EPQ not knowing what it even was, but I gained so much from it. Your supervisor should advise you on how to do research to figure out a topic area that interests you.
If you don't have anything in mind for the EPQ, just do the AS Maths. You can always drop it if need be, since you only need to take 3 A-levels to be considered for admission to unis in the UK.
Original post by briteeshbro
The first few weeks of an EPQ are, however, figuring out what topic to base it on. I went into an EPQ not knowing what it even was, but I gained so much from it. Your supervisor should advise you on how to do research to figure out a topic area that interests you.

I agree that you learn so much from doing an EPQ and I'm glad I did it. I just meant that if OP's been struggling to think of a topic in these past few months then what is the chance of them coming up with something that interests them in the next few weeks? I'm reluctant to recommend people to do EPQs (unless they have a clear passion on what they want to do) than I was before since so many people in my year dropped it cos they didn't realise how much independent work you have to put in.

My supervisor certainly didn't advise me on how to do research to figure out a topic area that interests me :rofl: we were just told to get on with it. Hopefully OP's supervisor will be more helpful than mine was.
Math
Original post by M.Ahmed Jamshaid
If you are planning to apply to top-tier unis like Oxbridge,UCL,LSE,IMPERIAL then I would recommend that you choose A Level Maths.EPQ is just a plus point not in level of importance such unis will give to A level Maths. Good luck in choosing whats best for you!

my school is pretty academic so lost go to Russel group unis like though but tbh I would juts choose the one I like and best for my course. I was planning on going as maths instead of a level because I think I would struggle otherwise. thanks for the help and advice on epq!!
I agree that you learn so much from doing an EPQ and I'm glad I did it. I just meant that if OP's been struggling to think of a topic in these past few months then what is the chance of them coming up with something that interests them in the next few weeks? I'm reluctant to recommend people to do EPQs (unless they have a clear passion on what they want to do) than I was before since so many people in my year dropped it cos they didn't realise how much independent work you have to put in.

My supervisor certainly didn't advise me on how to do research to figure out a topic area that interests me :rofl: we were just told to get on with it. Hopefully OP's supervisor will be more helpful than mine was.

yeah that what I was thinking because I still don't know what I won't to do so I don't have a clear topic in mind. thank you so much!
Original post by artful_lounger
If you don't have anything in mind for the EPQ, just do the AS Maths. You can always drop it if need be, since you only need to take 3 A-levels to be considered for admission to unis in the UK.

my school wants us to take one of those half subjects like epq or as maths. But yeah thanks for the advice !
Hmm maybe don't do an epq if you can't think of a topic. You should feel interested and really passionate about your chosen topic otherwise you're not going to be motivated to complete it. And since it's pretty much an independent thing, you need to be really motivated to push yourself to just get on with it. Depending on what you do on your EPQ it is going to be pretty much essay based (unless you're doing an artefact in which case shorter essay).

Some unis will give you a reduced offer by 1 grade (so ABB rather than AAB etc.) if you get an A in your EPQ, it'll say on their entry requirements for the course page. It might be a good talking point in a university interview if you are going to get interviewed for your course.

AS levels are kinda losing their importance tbh but as you said, might be a break from your more essay based subjects.

Hope that helps :nyan:

yeah that's really helpful the only reason I really chosen epq was because of the reduced grade if I got an A. I wasn't aware that AS levels were losing their importance? do you know why, did your school tell you?

Quick Reply

Latest