The Student Room Group

Should I retake my Spanish A level exam?

I am going to take a gap year next year because I am not 100% sure on what course to study or what university I want to go to. It's out of Spanish and Drama combined or a Acting degree. I have not yet completed my ucas application, but 2 of my university choices that offer Spanish and Drama combined require 3 B's minimum as a contextual offer. In my A Levels, I have received a B for French, C for Spanish and A for Drama. I am pleased with my results but am disappointed with my Spanish result,as my teacher told me I was more than capable for receiving a B. After chatting to one of the Universities, they said they did not think they would be able to take me with my C grade due to entry requirements. I have found a University that's standard offer is ABB and I am eligible for their contextual offer of BBC-CCC. I have thought about retaking my Spanish exam, however recently something really awful has happened in my family. My nan has been very unwell recently and yesterday I found out she has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer which has spread to her liver and kidney. Not only this, but she is in hospital and has a disease in her brain which could possibly either be a disease or it could be the cancer spreading. She does not recognise anyone, not me or my mum or even her husband. She is muttering nonsense and is restless. She is so dehydrated that it is making her hallucinate. She is refusing to eat or drink. I can't decide if I should retake my Spanish exam, because right now I'm very distressed and depressed and I am having trouble focusing on anything. The doctors have said the cancer is terminal and I don't know how long she will live for. Should I retake Spanish or apply to the university that has a lower entry requirement that could potentially accept me?
(edited 3 years ago)
Firstly I am so sorry to hear about your Nan and wish you and your family all the best in coping with this. It is really personal whether you decide to resit Spanish to try and get into another uni or not depending on the career you want to go into as the prestige of a uni has a different weight. As for looking into drama university is not the only option and if you are looking into the more practical side conservatoires often tend to be a better option. Could you possibly contact the Uni and ask due to unforeseen circumstances and maybe get the grades lowered? Alternatively, I believe some universities allow for a lower grade in one subject for a higher grade in another alternatively you could look at universities which look more at UCAS points (although there are only a handful to the best of my knowledge)
if you tell your uni and ucas your situation they will understand and may take you with a contextual offer.
Original post by NatashaW26
I am going to take a gap year next year because I am not 100% sure on what course to study or what university I want to go to. It's out of Spanish and Drama combined or a Acting degree. I have not yet completed my ucas application, but 2 of my university choices that offer Spanish and Drama combined require 3 B's minimum as a contextual offer. In my A Levels, I have received a B for French, C for Spanish and A for Drama. I am pleased with my results but am disappointed with my Spanish result,as my teacher told me I was more than capable for receiving a B. After chatting to one of the Universities, they said they did not think they would be able to take me with my C grade due to entry requirements. I have found a University that's standard offer is ABB and I am eligible for their contextual offer of BBC-CCC. I have thought about retaking my Spanish exam, however recently something really awful has happened in my family. My nan has been very unwell recently and yesterday I found out she has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer which has spread to her liver and kidney. Not only this, but she is in hospital and has a disease in her brain which could possibly either be a disease or it could be the cancer spreading. She does not recognise anyone, not me or my mum or even her husband. She is muttering nonsense and is restless. She is so dehydrated that it is making her hallucinate. She is refusing to eat or drink. I can't decide if I should retake my Spanish exam, because right now I'm very distressed and depressed and I am having trouble focusing on anything. The doctors have said the cancer is terminal and I don't know how long she will live for. Should I retake Spanish or apply to the university that has a lower entry requirement that could potentially accept mif
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly I am so sorry to hear about your Nan and wish you and your family all the best in coping with this. It is really personal whether you decide to resit Spanish to try and get into another uni or not depending on the career you want to go into as the prestige of a uni has a different weight. As for looking into drama university is not the only option and if you are looking into the more practical side conservatoires often tend to be a better option. Could you possibly contact the Uni and ask due to unforeseen circumstances and maybe get the grades lowered? Alternatively, I believe some universities allow for a lower grade in one subject for a higher grade in another alternatively you could look at universities which look more at UCAS points (although there are only a handful to the best of my knowledge)

Thanks, I have spoken to the University of Sussex and while it was a very difficult phone call to make, they said they completely understand and would love to offer me a unconditional place next year. Thanks for all your help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by all_9's_ned
if you tell your uni and ucas your situation they will understand and may take you with a contextual offer.

It was a tough call to make, but I spoke to Sussex uni and they are going to offer me a unconditional place for next year. Thanks so much for your help
Original post by NatashaW26
It was a tough call to make, but I spoke to Sussex uni and they are going to offer me a unconditional place for next year. Thanks so much for your help

I'm so happy for you! well done I hope you have a good time at uni!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm so happy for you! well done I hope you have a good time at uni!

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest