The Student Room Group

Student Bank Account - troubles getting accepted

So, I have tried to open up a (student) bank account with HSBC; however, promptly after filling in the application online, I got declined. Baffled, I called, and they have suggested to try applying directly in one of their branches -- at the branch, they said that there is nothing they can do. I then tried many more... HSBC, Nationwide, Santander and then even my bank, Lloyds, declined my application. I was informed that the application is weighted on my credit score, though, as a student who essentially just begun adulthood, how can I have an acceptable score to be approved? For disclosure, I am during my gap year, where I have tried to improve my credit score. I've had my ups and downs as I learnt what things impact my score, but in the end, I got a higher score than I was initially started off with. 303 compared to 367.Is anyone else facing difficulties in opening a student bank account?
Reply 1
Original post by Silent0239
So, I have tried to open up a (student) bank account with HSBC; however, promptly after filling in the application online, I got declined. Baffled, I called, and they have suggested to try applying directly in one of their branches -- at the branch, they said that there is nothing they can do. I then tried many more... HSBC, Nationwide, Santander and then even my bank, Lloyds, declined my application. I was informed that the application is weighted on my credit score, though, as a student who essentially just begun adulthood, how can I have an acceptable score to be approved? For disclosure, I am during my gap year, where I have tried to improve my credit score. I've had my ups and downs as I learnt what things impact my score, but in the end, I got a higher score than I was initially started off with. 303 compared to 367.Is anyone else facing difficulties in opening a student bank account?

I would suggest that you get copies of your Statutory Credit Report from the three main Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs). The main CRAs are Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Check them all carefully to make sure they're 100% accurate, including things like your date of birth recorded on each account.

You might also want to check that Cifas don't hold anything on you. See https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request for what to do.

What steps have you taken to "improve [your] credit score" ? Is it possible that you've done things that have lowered the likelihood of being offered more credit? Lenders don't just look at a nebulous "credit score", they want to see that you've used credit responsibly and that you're not overstretching yourself. They might well be concerned if you have too much credit available to you already, and not want to take the risk of offering you yet more.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
I would suggest that you get copies of your Statutory Credit Report from the three main Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs). The main CRAs are Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Check them all carefully to make sure they're 100% accurate, including things like your date of birth recorded on each account.

You might also want to check that Cifas don't hold anything on you. See https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request for what to do.

What steps have you taken to "improve [your] credit score" ? Is it possible that you've done things that have lowered the likelihood of being offered more credit? Lenders don't just look at a nebulous "credit score", they want to see that you've used credit responsibly and that you're not overstretching yourself. They might well be concerned if you have too much credit available to you already, and not want to take the risk of offering you yet more.

I will definitely follow your advise and investigate a little -- never hurts to be sure. Though, one last thing, if I so do happen to come across details that are incorrect, do I reach out to them directly to amend the records?

I definitely have done things that have harmed my score, simply because I did not take a moment to try and understand it better. I simply did what I thought would improve it, after a while, I then discovered that it was, in fact, fluctuating quite a bit, and so there wasn't a consistent "growth". From what you're saying I can now understand how I may seem as a "risky" customer when it would come to credits. Although I must admit, it still dumbfounds me how that alone impacts opening a bank account; I guess they have their reasons.

Thank you for helping out, I appreciate it!

when did you apply for the hsbc student account ?

Should be straightforward if you have your student finance approved and havent been in any financial difficulties.
I suggest you try your local branches close to the uni, as they will be used to processing accounts.

Normally your uni can give you a letter in addition to your proof of finance, address and income.
Time to check your credit record imo as something isnt adding up.
have you had an account before or got any ccjs against you?
has anyone else applied for hsbc
Reply 6
I will definitely follow your advise and investigate a little -- never hurts to be sure. Though, one last thing, if I so do happen to come across details that are incorrect, do I reach out to them directly to amend the records?

You contact the company who recorded the incorrect information (e.g. the bank or other lender). For example, my mortgage account (some years ago) had an incorrect date of birth -- so I contacted the building society my mortgage was with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending