Help with zero hour contract rules

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m on a zero hour contract with my main job but my boss thinks we owe him. From what I understand, a zero hour contract means an employer doesn’t have to provide minimum work hours and an employee doesn’t have to work any work provided. Also, an employer can’t do anything to stop an employee from working elsewhere. Is this correct?

Because my boss provides the rota for the week on a Sunday evening. Just for that week. Sometimes it only has Monday written or we should expect changes. He also has formal request forms we have to use if we want days off which we have to fill in two weeks in advance and even then there is no guarantee.

My current problem is that for the last two months, I have been working the same three days a week (Mon,Wed,Fri) with the same hours unless I’m asked to stay on. My boss spoke to me last week about increasing my hours but he said he’d speak to me before doing it. For this weekend I had agreed to work my second job. A job my main boss knew about before hiring me and he assured me I could have time off to work my second job as I had it first and it’s a lot less frequent. It’s Only a couple weekends a year. Anyway, my boss has put me to work this weekend which goes against what I’ve been working and he didn’t say anything to me. He also said that he still needs to look at this weekend shifts as they’re not final. I took my chance as they weren’t final and just asked if there was any way to work around it as I have other commitments with my other job. He was not happy, saying it’s not fair, he shouldn’t have to play second fiddle to my other job and making me feel guilty. At the moment it looks like he’s going to make me work the weekend. Which means I’ll have to say no to my other job which I had accepted first, assuming I was going to be free as I don’t work weekends and hadn’t been told any different.

But if I’m zero hours, I don’t have to accept the work and he can’t stop me from working my other job, right?

If anyone could help apply the zero hour contract to my situation it would be really appreciated as I’m planning to speak to him about it and want my fact straight. Thanks
Silent0239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As far as I am aware, you are absolutely right in saying that your employer is not obliged to provide you with any working hours, and likewise, you are not obliged to accept any work offered. So, you legally can decline the weekend work that has been offered. Also, he cannot legally stop you from working elsewhere, see link.

I must say though, I would find it quite inconvenient having my work rota dispensed only a week ahead.

If you had contracted hours, you could apply for a flexible working arrangement where you could request to not work on the weekends. But given as it is a zero-hour contract already, it already is as flexible as it gets I guess. I am not by any means an expert in this field, just a dude with limited experience and a google search engine, so take it as you will.

Good luck!
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
he can't stop you from working your other job

www.acas.org.uk/zero-hours-contracts

If you're on a zero-hours contract, by law, your employer must not:

• stop you working for another employer by putting an 'exclusivity clause' in your contract
  • treat you unfairly if you do work for another employer
  • dismiss you for it if you're legally classed as an employee

This law still applies even if your employer says you've broken your contract by working for another employer.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Silent0239)
As far as I am aware, you are absolutely right in saying that your employer is not obliged to provide you with any working hours, and likewise, you are not obliged to accept any work offered. So, you legally can decline the weekend work that has been offered. Also, he cannot legally stop you from working elsewhere, see link.

I must say though, I would find it quite inconvenient having my work rota dispensed only a week ahead.

If you had contracted hours, you could apply for a flexible working arrangement where you could request to not work on the weekends. But given as it is a zero-hour contract already, it already is as flexible as it gets I guess. I am not by any means an expert in this field, just a dude with limited experience and a google search engine, so take it as you will.

Good luck!
Thank you. He’s spinning things onto me and saying it’s unfair what I’m doing and bringing in the fact it’s his livelihood. Which I fully understand and would have sympathy if he was working half of what his staff do. And yeah, it is very inconvenient. Any social life I did have is pretty much out the window. Thank you for your help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
he can't stop you from working your other job

www.acas.org.uk/zero-hours-contracts

If you're on a zero-hours contract, by law, your employer must not:

• stop you working for another employer by putting an 'exclusivity clause' in your contract
  • treat you unfairly if you do work for another employer
  • dismiss you for it if you're legally classed as an employee

This law still applies even if your employer says you've broken your contract by working for another employer.
Thank you for answering. The link is very helpfu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise