Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
a guy i know got a starred first in his first and second year at oxford. what does that mean? is that rlly good?
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 9 months ago
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
a guy i know got a starred first in his first and second year at oxford. what does that mean? is that rlly good?
Never heard of a starred first. Oxford give out Congratulatory Firsts to a small number of First Class finalists. But to my knowledge that’s just for Finals not for first year exams.

The criteria for a Congratulatory First vary from subject to subject. For Modern Languages at Oxford you need to get a first class mark in every finals exam (bear in mind that for humanities subjects the exams that count toward your final grade are taken during a two week period at the end of the whole degree - so that’s like 30 hours of exams). Or you need an average of 75+
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
Never heard of a starred first. Oxford give out Congratulatory Firsts to a small number of First Class finalists. But to my knowledge that’s just for Finals not for first year exams.

The criteria for a Congratulatory First vary from subject to subject. For Modern Languages at Oxford you need to get a first class mark in every finals exam (bear in mind that for humanities subjects the exams that count toward your final grade are taken during a two week period at the end of the whole degree - so that’s like 30 hours of exams). Or you need an average of 75+
ahh ok thanksss
then im not too sure what he meant by a starred first :confused: he studies chemistry not a MFL or anything...
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some colleges give prizes (usually with some money) for particularly good results - maybe it's a college thing?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Is a Cambridge thing - not sure why he's talking about Oxford unless he confused it with a congratulatory first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...classification

It is possible in some Triposes to be awarded a ’Starred First’, for examination scripts that "consistently exhibit the qualities of first class answers to an exceptional degree."
It doesn't seem like there are concrete requirements for it.

Someone with a starred first wrote for the tab: https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2017...ed-first-97986.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (119)
27.17%
England (155)
35.39%
Belgium (33)
7.53%
Germany (43)
9.82%
Spain (10)
2.28%