The Student Room Group

6th form

Anyone got tips for 6th form? Advice on folders, timetables, study sessions, post lesson, organisation etc. Doing Maths, Phy and Chem
Reply 1
If you have free lessons, better do your homework or revise for exams during such periods so you can have more free time during the evenings. The most important thing is self-discipline. Since I'm more productive in the evenings / at night, I usually 2 hours of homework/revision after dinner (7-9 p.m.). If I have exams the next day, I would revise till 9:30/10:00 p.m. After that I would have a 30 mins of rest time and sleep at around 10:30. If you don't have enough sleep, you won't be able to stay awake in classes the next day. Also, once you are given an assignment, do it right away if possible because you might feel very stressed when you do it right before the deadline and you might forget some stuff from class, which would affect the grades.

In terms of note-taking, I have a notebook for scribbling all the notes in class. After school (or during free periods), I would transfer them to another notebook/laptop with a more organised and neat handwriting. Teachers might not wait for you to finish taking notes if you write very slowly. So I scribble very quick and then transfer them later on. For folders, have one for each subject for notes and another one for homework (so you won't lose them and you can keep track which have been done). After your teacher has marked the assignments, put them in the designated folder.

One more thing, do past papers in your free time when possible (especially the case for maths). You might be able to learn in advanced actually and you could train your time management under exam conditions. Your teachers might only give out past papers during mocks so it is important to practise beforehand.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
I'm doing the same subjects...
What happens if you don't understand a concept or it takes time for you to grasp something? Since the teacher will have to keep moving on and there's hardly time to catchup, when exactly can we take the time to understand something?
Reply 3
Original post by nikki28
I'm doing the same subjects...
What happens if you don't understand a concept or it takes time for you to grasp something? Since the teacher will have to keep moving on and there's hardly time to catchup, when exactly can we take the time to understand something?

If you don't understand a concept, ask the teacher immediately until you understand. I'm pretty sure your teacher are willing to slow down the pace and make sure everyone understands before moving on. In other times, ask your classmates. If you really have a hard time, the last resort would be to enrol to private tuition although your parents would have to pay more. If you do plan to enrol for tutorials, don't do it in the very last minute because you will just rush everything.

My teacher always tell me 'ASK if you don't know something'.
Reply 4
wE aRe dOinG tHe sAmE sUbjECts
Reply 5
Original post by atzy_26
If you don't understand a concept, ask the teacher immediately until you understand. I'm pretty sure your teacher are willing to slow down the pace and make sure everyone understands before moving on. In other times, ask your classmates. If you really have a hard time, the last resort would be to enrol to private tuition although your parents would have to pay more. If you do plan to enrol for tutorials, don't do it in the very last minute because you will just rush everything.

My teacher always tell me 'ASK if you don't know something

thanks!
I've got to agree with Atzy - no such thing as stupid questions!!
Reply 7
Original post by nikki28
thanks!

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending