Which teams have been the best in the modern Premier League era and why?

Watch
Shafy97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The choices are:
Man City 17-19(Guardiola era)
Man United 98-01(Ferguson era)
Man United 06-09 (Ferguson era)
Liverpool 18-20 (Klopp era)
Arsenal 01-04 (Wenger era)
Chelsea 04-06 (Mourinho era)
You can consider all the trophies for these ones, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League etc.
Last edited by Shafy97; 4 weeks ago
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Man United 1998-01 👍🏻

First team to win three consecutive league titles in the Premier League era. First (and only) English team to ever win the league, FA Cup and Champions League in the same season. First English team to be recognised as champions of the world in club football.

I still don’t get how people can argue this. :eek:
Shafy97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Man United 1998-01 👍🏻

First team to win three consecutive league titles in the Premier League era. First (and only) English team to ever win the league, FA Cup and Champions League in the same season. First English team to be recognised as champions of the world in club football.

They could potentially argue about the quality of the opposition back then. Like it was only really Arsenal that were under United's skin, move to the 2000's and you add Chelsea and Liverpool into the mix, then Spurs and Man City.
Nevertheless I still rate that side a lot, I mean to this day no other team in the Prem has emulated what that United team did.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Man United 1998-01 👍🏻

1998/99 - 79 points (2nd place 78 points)
1999/00 - 91 points (2nd place 73 points)
2000/21 - 80 points (2nd place 70 points)

The league points aren't particularly impressive and it shows that title challengers were poor too. Being the best of a bunch of turds isn't the greatest. You determine being great by beating top quality. You look at the golden tennis era and it's because there was such high quality.

Quality of footballs is so much higher since. The Man Utd team may be one of the most successful in terms of silverware but doesn't really get close in terms of greatest in terms of quality.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Shafy97)
The choices are:
Man City 17-19(Guardiola era)
Man United 98-01(Ferguson era)
Man United 06-09 (Ferguson era)
Liverpool 18-20 (Klopp era)
Arsenal 01-04 (Wenger era)
Chelsea 04-06 (Mourinho era)
You can consider all the trophies for these ones, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League etc.
Liverpool with Klopp. What the manager made of the reds is admirable and remarkable. Ferguson's United from 98 to 01 as next. Manchester's season in 99 by winning the triple was unique.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd choose the Man City team under Guardiola, just for the enjoyment of watching them above the others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (23)
23.71%
No (74)
76.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed