certinerd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi!
I start my A-levels next week and am doing maths, Spanish and economics.

However, I'm just starting to have some doubts! My friends told me that it's ridiculous that I am not taking a science as 'it's a waste' (I got all 9s in my GCSEs so apparently I should be taking one). I was initially going to do Chemistry but changed it to economics. Over lockdown I decided I wanted to do economics as a degree (and still want to) but I'm worried I might change my mind in the next couple years and not have a science to fall back on.

Also, I'm just wondering if I should take further maths? I want to go to Bath/Bristol to study econ, so would I be at a disadvantage without further maths? The only this is that I suffer really badly from stress and exam anxiety, so I am worried it'll be too much pressure. Also, further maths just looks like another language to me!

Basically, I'm just unsure whether I should swap economics for chemistry, or take further maths. Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by certinerd; 2 months ago
atzy_26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would say it is useful to do further maths if you will do economics in the future. I don't know for Bath or Bristol, but I know that LSE don't really take in economics students if they didn't do further maths (exceptions only for those if their schools don't offer further maths). Further maths is indeed a lot harder than maths. I would say maybe try for a few lessons in economics and if you are very sure of it, then perhaps ask whether you can take further maths as well.
Cheesecake04
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by certinerd)
Hi!
I start my A-levels next week and am doing maths, Spanish and economics.

However, I'm just starting to have some doubts! My friends told me that it's ridiculous that I am not taking a science as 'it's a waste' (I got all 9s in my GCSEs so apparently I should be taking one). I was initially going to do Chemistry but changed it to economics. Over lockdown I decided I wanted to do economics as a degree (and still want to) but I'm worried I might change my mind in the next couple years and not have a science to fall back on.

Also, I'm just wondering if I should take further maths? I want to go to Bath/Bristol to study econ, so would I be at a disadvantage without further maths? The only this is that I suffer really badly from stress and exam anxiety, so I am worried it'll be too much pressure. Also, further maths just looks like another language to me!

Basically, I'm just unsure whether I should swap economics for chemistry, or take further maths. Any help would be appreciated!
Go with your gut but I would recommend further maths.
nightloc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
you could always do further maths to begin with and if you don't like it drop it. && I do maths, economics, further maths, and personally, learning further maths has helped when doing normal maths.
certinerd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by nightloc)
you could always do further maths to begin with and if you don't like it drop it. && I do maths, economics, further maths, and personally, learning further maths has helped when doing normal maths.
That’s what I was planning on doing! But I’ve emailed my sixth form and they said I can’t do both economics and further maths, so bit of a disaster. Think I’m going to go for Economics and hope for the best ahha
nightloc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by certinerd)
That’s what I was planning on doing! But I’ve emailed my sixth form and they said I can’t do both economics and further maths, so bit of a disaster. Think I’m going to go for Economics and hope for the best ahha
oh :/ well good luck!! (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (545)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (663)
41.23%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed