The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Biology, geography and sociology

My GCSEs: 65555444 ( 5 in maths, 4 in English language).
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)

Hi!

I would say that you have a good broad spectrum of A Levels that can be applied to many routes. With Law, most universities prefer you not to have already taken Law as A Level as you learn it completely differently, so it's good you have chosen against taking Law! I personally took and now study sociology and a level and university and loved it, and I think it would work well with Law! Essay-based subjects that demand critical analysis and a lot of reading will prepare you for law at university well.

Sophie - Official Student Rep
sakura_23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Law has no prerequisites in the majority of courses I’m aware of, but it would be a good idea to have a strong essay based subject like History or English Lit, but these choices wouldn’t put you in a bad position as such.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You don't need specific A-levels to study law, so as long as they're subjects you're happy with and believe that you can do well in, it's all peachy.

I do think it's beneficial that you've chosen Sociology, it's usually useful to have something essay based as the majority of work you'll be doing as a law undergrad is essay based.

(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
most universities prefer you not to have already taken Law as A Level as you learn it completely differently, so it's good you have chosen against taking Law! I
I've always wondered where this misconception has come from, bad enough that student reps are spreading it. Studying Law as an A-level has absolutely no holding on studying Law at undergrad level, as you're essentially taught from scratch anyway. If universities were so against it, you'd think it would be precluded from entry requirements, non?
Last edited by MidgetFever; 5 months ago
atzy_26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I actually took law for A Levels and got 3 conditional offers. So I don't think whether or not you took law is a big issue. Some of my friends who only did science also got offers from unis, so I think you will be fine. The most important thing is your LNAT, personal statement and predicted grades.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your A Level choices are fine — Law has no set subjects that are better than others.

Where are you thinking of going? Your GCSEs are a little on the low side for the better ones, but maybe you feel you could have done much better if you sat them; could you resit a few?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
You don't need specific A-levels to study law, so as long as they're subjects you're happy with and believe that you can do well in, it's all peachy.

I do think it's beneficial that you've chosen Sociology, it's usually useful to have something essay based as the majority of work you'll be doing as a law undergrad is essay based.

I've always wondered where this misconception has come from, bad enough that student reps are spreading it. Studying Law as an A-level has absolutely no holding on studying Law at undergrad level, as you're essentially taught from scratch anyway. If universities were so against it, you'd think it would be precluded from entry requirements, non?
Sorry - this was based off of my own personal experiences when I was originally intending to apply for a Law degree. This isn't to say it will be the same to everyone, just was a reasoning that dissuaded me, and why I would encourage a broader range of A Levels to both apply to law and also as a precaution to fall back on, like the OP has posted.

hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hi The-judge-16

As everyone has said Law doesn't have any specific A level requirements. The main thing is that you enjoy the subject and believe that you can do well in it, as your grades will matter the most.

Good luck!

Zaira
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I would say that you have a good broad spectrum of A Levels that can be applied to many routes. With Law, most universities prefer you not to have already taken Law as A Level as you learn it completely differently, so it's good you have chosen against taking Law! I personally took and now study sociology and a level and university and loved it, and I think it would work well with Law! Essay-based subjects that demand critical analysis and a lot of reading will prepare you for law at university well.

Sorry but it just isn’t true that most Unis prefer people not to have taken Law A level for a Law degree - that is outdated advice which may have been true once upon a time but isn’t true today. You would struggle to find even one uni that said they wouldn’t accept Law A level for a Law degree
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Sorry but it just isn’t true that most Unis prefer people not to have taken Law A level for a Law degree - that is outdated advice which may have been true once upon a time but isn’t true today. You would struggle to find even one uni that said they wouldn’t accept Law A level for a Law degree
I'm so surprised a student rep would even fall into this common misconception...
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Euphoria101)
I'm so surprised a student rep would even fall into this common misconception...
People seem to being told this by some teachers and don't realise it is incorrect
master1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

As long as you have good grades in them then it would be fine to get even into any top law school. But the majority of people who study law would have either done History or English Literature for A-level. But it really would not matter even if you studied Biology, Chemistry or Mathematics at A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (49)
17.63%
No one else does (87)
31.29%
I'm embarrassed about my background (29)
10.43%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (94)
33.81%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.16%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise