phyiskra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok so im applying to uni for 2021 and im currently out as trans to my family and starting horomone treatment in a month or two and i wish to socially transition when i move for uni, i dont really wish to come out publically at school.

so i guess my questions would be, how much of my application can my school read? can they see my gender option and sexual orientation? and if so how many have access to my personal statement / the rest of my application

and is the gender option for legal gender or your actual one? im unsure on this since im legally male for the time being.

thanks in advance
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by phyiskra)
Ok so im applying to uni for 2021 and im currently out as trans to my family and starting horomone treatment in a month or two and i wish to socially transition when i move for uni, i dont really wish to come out publically at school.

so i guess my questions would be, how much of my application can my school read? can they see my gender option and sexual orientation? and if so how many have access to my personal statement / the rest of my application

and is the gender option for legal gender or your actual one? im unsure on this since im legally male for the time being.

thanks in advance
Hi!

I would personally get in contact with UCAS about your application, as it's completely understandable why you want to disclose a few things. From what I can remember I think my personal tutor was the only one to see my application, but this might have been through choice, as i needed them to read my personal statement to improve it.
If your school can see your application I would talk to someone at your school to relive your worry and keep your information disclosed.

Good luck with your application!

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
for me, we had to send in our ucas application to the school who would check over it (for mistakes) and then send it off, so if you were in my situation, they'd be able to see it.

however, they'd be forced to have absolute discretion of it if you asked them to. it's your right to personal privacy and they cannot exploit that unless you're in danger. :yep:
tragictimes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by phyiskra)
i dont really wish to come out publically at school.

thanks in advance
Our careers adviser made us print out our applications just to make sure that the basic details were correct (this was last year) and there was a whole section on personal details including things like title, first name, surname, gender and date of birth.

I think the gender question refers to legal (the gender on your passport).

There was also a "further details" section with the following question:
"Do you identify as transgender?"
But there was an "I prefer not to say" option

There's a schools data sharing option as well which can help restrict the school from seeing your application:
Do you wish to share your application details with your school/college/centre?

We would like to share your details with your school/college/centre as they are overseeing your application.

☐ Yes, please share details of my UCAS application with my school/college/centre.

You could potentially just not tick the box- some people in my year chose not to.

Good luck with your application
chocolate_fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On a lot of the options that asked for your gender, sexuality, etc. There was the option to 'I prefer not to say', or something similar.
Just select this, and their shouldn't be any issues.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surely if you are starting hormonal treatment, its going to start being a bit obvious to your teachers??

Ps. Your best option is to wait until you have your Uni place next year before changing your gender/name etc on your application - it can get very complicated if your exam results are all in one name/gender and you/your application are not. Unis are used to this - leaving home/going to Uni is a good point to 'start afresh' if you are transitioning. And, if you have a new legal name by that point, that is the time to do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.73%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.84%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.38%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.77%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.66%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.79%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.2%

Watched Threads