The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2022 Applicants' Thread!

Hi everyone! Since GCSE results for the class of 2020 has just recently been released, I thought why not begin this thread for those who are keen to apply to dentistry in 2022 at uni, so we can all share and discuss our thoughts upon work experience, volunteering, interview prep, reading, A-levels, personal statements, basically share our journey with each other etc.

Feel free to share any thoughts and feelings you currently have upon applying (what unis you may look at etc). Hopefully we can all give each other some advice and help each other strengthen our applications from an early stage!
Better to begin earlier than never :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sa03
Hi everyone! Since GCSE results for the class of 2020 has just recently been released, I thought why not begin this thread for those who are keen to apply to dentistry in 2022 at uni, so we can all share and discuss our thoughts upon work experience, volunteering, interview prep, reading, A-levels, personal statements, basically share our journey with each other etc.

Feel free to share any thoughts and feelings you currently have upon applying (what unis you may look at etc). Hopefully we can all give each other some advice and help each other strengthen our applications from an early stage!

So I think I should start off then :smile:
So these past months, I have just been keeping up with the British Dental Association, BDJ and Dentistry.co.uk as well as their social media, upon the current impact Covid-19 has had upon Dentistry as well as any other news they have published (and it is really interesting so I recommend anyone to have a read!)
I have currently applied to take Bio,Chem and Maths at A-level (and I'm presuming many will be the same :smile:)
My original plan pre-covid, was to do some extra work experience this summer at a local dental surgery or a dental laboratory, but unfortunately was unable to do so, due to the current global situation. However, that has not stopped me from searching for MOOCs within Dentistry, as well as asking and searching for advice and insights from dental professionals all over social media. And I won't lie they are extremely helpful and nice and always willing to share any details you wish to know. Personally I have enjoyed listening to Dr Shaadi Manouchehri's podcast called 'Teeth and Tales’ which I highly recommend!
(edited 2 years ago)
yayyy I was waiting for this thread to start! :smile: well done on your GCSEs by the way, those are amazing results!

Spoiler

I'm hopefully doing Biology, Chemistry and French at A-level.

The podcast sounds amazing thanks for the suggestion! I've also kept up to date with dental news, mostly on the impact of Covid on UK dentistry (NHS & private). I've done a couple of MOOCs online and I'm mostly looking at King's and Bart's so far but I haven't done that much research into unis yet. Have you already got work experience? I haven't since my summer ones were cancelled so I'm slightly stressing hehe
Reply 3
Original post by jazzj
yayyy I was waiting for this thread to start! :smile: well done on your GCSEs by the way, those are amazing results!

Spoiler

I'm hopefully doing Biology, Chemistry and French at A-level.

The podcast sounds amazing thanks for the suggestion! I've also kept up to date with dental news, mostly on the impact of Covid on UK dentistry (NHS & private). I've done a couple of MOOCs online and I'm mostly looking at King's and Bart's so far but I haven't done that much research into unis yet. Have you already got work experience? I haven't since my summer ones were cancelled so I'm slightly stressing hehe

Yes thankfully I was able to do 2 weeks work experience last summer. I did one week at a dental surgery which was part of my Year 10 work experience which my whole year group would do. And then I also did some shadowing with my own dentist at my local clinic. It was a great experience but I am hoping to do some work experience at a dental laboratory when possible.

Don't worry if you weren't able to this summer, it's great that you're beginning to think about it! You still have a year until we have to apply, there'll be many other opportunities ready for you :smile:
Original post by sa03
Yes thankfully I was able to do 2 weeks work experience last summer. I did one week at a dental surgery which was part of my Year 10 work experience which my whole year group would do. And then I also did some shadowing with my own dentist at my local clinic. It was a great experience but I am hoping to do some work experience at a dental laboratory when possible.

Don't worry if you weren't able to this summer, it's great that you're beginning to think about it! You still have a year until we have to apply, there'll be many other opportunities ready for you :smile:

thanks! I hope the corona situation improves by the summer so I can hopefully shadow a dentist :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sa03

Thanks for starting this thread!! I'm also hoping to do dentistry in 2022 and I'm going to be studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry at A Level (and an EPQ). I've pretty much been doing the same as you, keeping up with dental news about Covid (mainly on Dentistry.co.uk). I've also done 1 MOOC- Discover Dentistry on Futurelearn. I did 1 week work experience in an NHS Practice in Year 10, but I need more too so stressing a little bit! I know that this year because of Covid some current Year 12s haven't been able to get work ex either, so some dental schools have said that they can also get an insight into the career by talking to current dental professionals and asking them questions about their job. There's also a free online work experience course on iwanttobeadentist.com and it seemed pretty solid, so you guys might want to check that out :smile: But hopefully the situation improves enough for us to be able to shadow a dentist in person. Thanks for suggesting this podcast too!
In terms of unis, I've started my research but I still don't know where I want to go! I might have to wait for open days etc.
Reply 6
Original post by aa03
Thanks for starting this thread!! I'm also hoping to do dentistry in 2022 and I'm going to be studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry at A Level (and an EPQ). I've pretty much been doing the same as you, keeping up with dental news about Covid (mainly on Dentistry.co.uk). I've also done 1 MOOC- Discover Dentistry on Futurelearn. I did 1 week work experience in an NHS Practice in Year 10, but I need more too so stressing a little bit! I know that this year because of Covid some current Year 12s haven't been able to get work ex either, so some dental schools have said that they can also get an insight into the career by talking to current dental professionals and asking them questions about their job. There's also a free online work experience course on iwanttobeadentist.com and it seemed pretty solid, so you guys might want to check that out :smile: But hopefully the situation improves enough for us to be able to shadow a dentist in person. Thanks for suggesting this podcast too!
In terms of unis, I've started my research but I still don't know where I want to go! I might have to wait for open days etc.

Ahh yess that’s amazing! I will definitely have a look at that free online work experience, thanks so much for letting us know! Wishing the best of luck to you for A-levels! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sa03
Ahh yess that’s amazing! I will definitely have a look at that free online work experience, thanks so much for letting us know! Wishing the best of luck to you for A-levels! :smile:

Best of luck to you too! Hopefully we can stay in touch and help each other out :smile:
Hey guys!
I’m doing Biology, Chemisty & French at A Level.
I’m interested in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle & Bristol (in that order!)
I haven’t managed to find any work experience yet but I’m not too stressed because we have a year left and it’s obvs quite hard to find some in the midst of a pandemic!
My GCSEs are average, 99988777777.
Just going to focus on getting 3 As
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Wishing you the best of luck for your resits!
Hi everyone! I am taking Biology, Chemistry and German at A level and I am looking to study at Kings,QMUL or Bristol. I am also doing this MOOC called Discover Dentistry on Future learn and it is really good! I hope that next summer I will be able to get some work experience at my local dentist. I also listen to Dr Shaadi's podcasts. She's brilliant! I also recommend her book, How to get into dental school.
Original post by sa03
Wishing you the best of luck for your resits!

Thank you! x
Original post by s15048
Hey guys! Glad there is a thread going.
I’m doing Biology, Chemisty & French at A Level, I was doing an EPQ but then I dropped it hahaha.
I’m interested in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle & Bristol (in that order!)
I haven’t managed to find any work experience yet but I’m not too stressed because we have a year left and it’s obvs quite hard to find some in the midst of a pandemic!
I’ve done some volunteering at a library in the summer before year 11 which was useful.
My GCSEs are average, however I’m resitting English Langauge and Biology and my exams start in a few days and I’m not ready lmao.
I think I’m going to do one of those courses on Future Learn as well, but recently I’ve been so busy with my resits, I cant wait to get them over with and hopefully then I can focus on my A Levels and getting 3 As.

I'm kind of concerned about the work experience thing because I know everyone is in the same boat but I would really like to be able to shadow a dentist and really see what the job is like:/ I also want to apply for QMUL, Newcastle and Bristol:smile: I might try and volunteer at christmas to serve dinner to people who are alone/ homeless but I'm not even sure the extent to which this will go ahead (Covid againn!)It's all so annoying:frown:
Reply 13
Hi guys! I really want to do dentistry too! I'm studying bio, chem, french and economics for A level EPQ but I am thinking of dropping french. I've recently been really struggling to find volunteering during the pandemic. Do you guys have any advice or ideas?
Original post by emma31x12
I'm kind of concerned about the work experience thing because I know everyone is in the same boat but I would really like to be able to shadow a dentist and really see what the job is like:/ I also want to apply for QMUL, Newcastle and Bristol:smile: I might try and volunteer at christmas to serve dinner to people who are alone/ homeless but I'm not even sure the extent to which this will go ahead (Covid againn!)It's all so annoying:frown:

True, I’m so worried about not getting any, I feel like getting some will really help me! And yes I really want to do some more volunteering, I think it’d be a great experience.
Original post by _x_jaz
Hi guys! I really want to do dentistry too! I'm studying bio, chem, french and economics for A level EPQ but I am thinking of dropping french. I've recently been really struggling to find volunteering during the pandemic. Do you guys have any advice or ideas?

I’m scared too! I might do some online courses cos at the moment I think that’s the best we can do :frown: I do French too and tbh it’s really boring but I find it relatively easy so I’ll probably stick with it. What unis are you interested in?
Reply 16
I'm really stuck with Unis at the moment as I wish I could properly see their open days in real life as virtual ones aren't that useful. I'm from Birmingham so I don't want to go there (but they do have a new dental school and it's really good- would recommend). If London life was for me I might apply to Kings but I am also considering some in the North like Manchester, liverpool or Sheffield? Hopefully, they might alter some of the requirements regarding work experience and volunteering for our year as it's so difficult to find.

Original post by s15048
I’m scared too! I might do some online courses cos at the moment I think that’s the best we can do :frown: I do French too and tbh it’s really boring but I find it relatively easy so I’ll probably stick with it. What unis are you interested in
Reply 17
Original post by _x_jaz

I've had the same problem too! This Covid situation is really annoying. I was also planning on asking what volunteering and extra curriculars everyone's been up to over lockdown, but I guess everyone's in the same boat :frown: I'm actually quite worried about not developing "as a person" enough before dental applications come round, but there's not many opportunities around that I've heard of right now because of lockdown!!
Reply 18
Original post by aa03
I've had the same problem too! This Covid situation is really annoying. I was also planning on asking what volunteering and extra curriculars everyone's been up to over lockdown, but I guess everyone's in the same boat :frown: I'm actually quite worried about not developing "as a person" enough before dental applications come round, but there's not many opportunities around that I've heard of right now because of lockdown!!

I feel the exact same! I don’t want to come to the situation where they may ask me in an interview “so did you develop anything as a person during the coronavirus lockdown” and for me to say no 😬😬
Reply 19
Original post by sa03
I feel the exact same! I don’t want to come to the situation where they may ask me in an interview “so did you develop anything as a person during the coronavirus lockdown” and for me to say no 😬😬

Literally!! I really do hope they have some lenience towards our cohort when it comes to application.

Quick Reply

Latest